Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Brady getting worse, not better (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=21104)

ghostofSC 10-23-2008 07:28 PM

Brady getting worse, not better

News coming out today that Tom Brady's knee is regressing, not improving. He's been fighting off infections and I believe there's even some discussion that the replacement ligament may not function the way it should. All of this means that he's looking at a much longer recovery time than they initially thought.

And now, the Patriots are pissed because Tom chose to use his own doctor in Cali, instead of a doctor the team wanted to appoint in New England. Is this really going to turn into a public dispute between a team and the quarterback who has helped turn around the franchise?

doublee 10-23-2008 10:49 PM

Actually there has been some speculation that they may have to redo the surgery altogether.

Marc 10-24-2008 09:49 PM

Dr. James Andrews says on ESPN that Brady is responding to the antibiotic treatment, so it may work itself out. Though with this a potentially career-ending situation, Pats fans have reason to be worried.

Tarkus 10-24-2008 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostofSC (Post 288961)
Is this really going to turn into a public dispute between a team and the quarterback who has helped turn around the franchise?

Probably if this continues down this slow road to recovery. I don't see the past affecting this one at all. The Pats are going to be pointing fingers even tho there's no proof things would be any different if he went to their doctor.

Nate 10-25-2008 09:18 PM

You know, is it wrong that I find this all amusing? Sure, I shouldn't wish anything against another human being, but this is Tom Brady... and, being a Colts fan, I'm no fan of Tom Brady or the Patriots. Seriously though, this is not a good situation and I hope it doesn't affect his career.

Marc 12-29-2008 02:31 PM

Brady is behind schedule and could require further surgery, risking his 2009 season: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3796019

With Cassel's success and Brady in question, this becomes a huge deal for NE since Cassel is a free agent. Do they try to keep Cassel? But then if Brady comes back, you have a guy with a huge contract on the bench. Hmmm...

catman 12-29-2008 03:02 PM

The Pats have a big decision to make here, sort of like the Jets. The nice thing for them is that both QBs are in camp already and Brady isn't an "old" QB. Cassel would be fine, but I think they want to get Brady back.
Cassel will obviously want a long-term deal based on his performance this season, and deserves one. I agree -- Hmmmm........

doublee 12-30-2008 11:49 PM

They will probably franchise Cassell and then trade him if it looks like Brady will be ready in time for training camp. The Chargers did the same thing with Brees a few years ago while they were waiting for Rivers to be ready to take over.

Anthony 01-01-2009 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee (Post 292770)
They will probably franchise Cassell and then trade him if it looks like Brady will be ready in time for training camp. The Chargers did the same thing with Brees a few years ago while they were waiting for Rivers to be ready to take over.

In which case it would be interesting to see how much compensation Cassel would command in a trade.

And New England's 11-5 finish was the best for a defending Super Bowl runner-up since Tennessee went 13-3 in 2000 after losing SB 34 - yet it did not keep the Patriots from becoming the seventh SB loser of the last eight (and eighth of the last ten) to miss the playoffs the following year.

doublee 01-01-2009 10:51 PM

Well the Falcons got two #2s for Schaub. I would think the Pats could easily get that much if not getting a #1 for him straight up. Unlike when the Falcons dealt Schaub, Cassell has already proven he can be a 10-win QB so one would think he has a bit more market value than Schaub did.

The Running Man 01-04-2009 04:20 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3809444

Cassel will be franchised.. I just do not see how Cassel is a "great" quarterback. He played ok for a very good team which happens to include Randy Moss. (Daunte Culpepper anyone?) Maybe the Lions will be desperate enough to make the trade.

doublee 01-05-2009 02:25 PM

They may not even be looking to trade him in the first place. This is more of a move to guard against Brady not being ready to go than anything else. The only other options they currently have at QB right now are Matt Gutierrez and Kevin O'Connell who have exactly 7 career pass attempts and 3 years of experience between the two of them.

The Running Man 01-06-2009 12:31 AM

I just feel they should forget about Cassell and inquire about Brett Farve. Perhaps he is now realizing that he is not what he once was and may pull a Vinny Testaverde and go to the team going for a ring. Just a thought...

doublee 01-06-2009 09:29 AM

I'd take Cassel over Favre at this stage. At least with Cassel you know you are not going to lose two or three games from him trying to force throws to one of his recievers. Favre loses as many games as he wins with his arm these days.

Marc 01-06-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee (Post 292959)
I'd take Cassel over Favre at this stage. At least with Cassel you know you are not going to lose two or three games from him trying to force throws to one of his recievers. Favre loses as many games as he wins with his arm these days.

No contest. Cassel over Favre by a landslide.