Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   The Lounge (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Christian at Christmas Time (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=15919)

Jaguar Rick 12-21-2006 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid (Post 229069)
Jesus Christ man! (sorry for the blaspheme...hehe) WHO ARE YOU DEBATING??? WHO DO YOU THINK I AM? I AM NOT IN YOUR RELGIOUS WAR. READ WHAT I WRITE. WHY DOES NO ONE ELSE MAKE THE SAME TIRED MISTAKES YOU MAKE!??!?! OPEN YOUR EYES MAN!

What mistakes have I made, Ricky?

RavenPoe 12-21-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 229068)
Have I said one word in this entire thread about "forced religion"?

I am asking public schools not to discriminate and instead teach two theories, one being evolution and the other being creationism. You act like I am killing children!

That would be ok if ID or creationism were theories, they're not. They would fall under the scientific category of hypotheses. We don't teach hypotheses that have no outside substantiation. There is no agenda there outside of scientific method. That same scientific method is applied to all things that don't offend believers as well. Science, unlike theology, is consistent.

CKFresh 12-21-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid (Post 229064)
Well, maybe scary is the wrong word. I disagree with both of you, however. I don't like religion forced down anyone's throat, and I don't like hearing people insulted for having religious beliefs. I am open to all the mysteries of life. I don't pretend to know for sure if there is a God or not, but I believe its possible. Every belief has to overcome the same problem anyway...How did something come from nothing? Talks like that are fun. I don't think its very fun to hear about secular degeneration, leftist schemes, and the illogic of faith, however. That's all pretty nasty stuff, and competely useless. It never changes anyone's mind, or encourages serious, deep thought.

Personally, I don't care what the schools teach. I don't even trust the school's to teach history...let alone religion. I agree religious teaching should be left to the church, and (my preference) to the family. I don't have children, but I don't really want the schools handling their religious education. That seems silly to me.



That's a nice thing to say, and it would be nice if it were true. But, because of the condition many muslims find themselves (in extreme poverty, disillusioned, and oppressed by their governments) they have been made more dangerous than American Christians...even the extreme ones. That doesn't have anything to do with the religions themselves, however--just outside conditions. The mindsets of all extremists are similar, however.

I never insulted anyone for having religious beliefs. I insult people for wanting to put religion in every aspect of public life. What is extreme about my position at all? Is it really too much to ask that I am not constantly attacked by religious people? Like I said, I don't insist that we teach evolution in Church, yet they insist on religion in school. My believes are kept to myself, they are the ones imposing their beliefs on all of us.

RavenPoe 12-21-2006 04:37 PM

CK,

To be fair, you're not forced by law to attend church. The same cannot be said of school.

Richard the Lionheart 12-21-2006 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaguar Rick (Post 229074)
What mistakes have I made, Ricky?

You debate me as if you know my religious beliefs, when you don't. Probably because of the first discussion we had, you think of me as a conservative, so you associate all traits you associate with conservatives to me, and then try to debate me on those incorrect traits instead of what I actually say. What in this thread makes you think that I take every word in the Bible literally, and would care what it says about slavery? What makes you think I would disregard my personal opinion on the evil of slavery, because the Bible sanctions it? (I don't know if it does or not). Those are the mistakes you made, you look at me as a group, and debate me as a group, instead of as an individual. Anything I say is fair game for you. Debate me on my words, not on your misconceptions...please.

IntheNet 12-21-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 229077)
What is extreme about my position at all?

  • Denying a whole generation of youth creationism instruction in schools.
  • Discriminating against one legitimate theory in preference to another theory.
  • Smearing the Christian faith with allegations of violence when it is a religion of peace.
  • Ignoring the violence within the Muslim religion and its practitioners of violence.
  • Advancing the destructive secular progressive cause against traditional Judeo-Christian nation.

CKFresh 12-21-2006 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenPoe (Post 229078)
CK,

To be fair, you're not forced by law to attend church. The same cannot be said of school.

Poe not true. You can home school your children if you don't like public schools, or if you like you can send them to Catholic schools ect...

RavenPoe 12-21-2006 04:47 PM

CK,

Not if you're poor!

RavenPoe 12-21-2006 04:49 PM

Most (that is to say the largest percentage) of Americans cannot afford alternatives to public school including home schooling. Most are also ill-equipped for home schooling as their parents were likely poor as well.

Sorry! I broke the back-to-back posting rule here. Habit! I'm like an old dog, it takes a while to learn new tricks.

CKFresh 12-21-2006 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 229085)
  • Denying a whole generation of youth creationism instruction in schools.
  • Discriminating against one legitimate theory in preference to another theory.
  • Smearing the Christian faith with allegations of violence when it is a religion of peace.
  • Ignoring the violence within the Muslim religion and its practitioners of violence.
  • Advancing the destructive secular progressive cause against traditional Judeo-Christian nation.

CREATIONISM IS A RELIGIOUS BELIEF = CHURCH
CREATIONISM IS NOT A LEGITIMATE THEORY, ASK ANY SCIENTIST
Christianity and Islam are equally peaceful in nature. Both religions have extremists who practice violence. Are the Christians who bomb arbortion clinics peaceful? No. Are all muslims violent, nope. Don't be a bigot.
Are you suggesting the Muslim religion is violent in nature?

CKFresh 12-21-2006 04:53 PM

Poe my point is still the same. School teaches what experts have learned and discovered, not what religious fanatics want to force on us.

Jaguar Rick 12-21-2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid (Post 229081)
You debate me as if you know my religious beliefs, when you don't. Probably because of the first discussion we had, you think of me as a conservative, so you associate all traits you associate with conservatives to me, and then try to debate me on those incorrect traits instead of what I actually say. What in this thread makes you think that I take every word in the Bible literally, and would care what it says about slavery? What makes you think I would disregard my personal opinion on the evil of slavery, because the Bible sanctions it? (I don't know if it does or not). Those are the mistakes you made, you look at me as a group, and debate me as a group, instead of as an individual. Anything I say is fair game for you. Debate me on my words, not on your misconceptions...please.

Ricky, If I have a difficult time following you, my fault. I was under the wrong impression of you I guess. My bad.. I thought you were taking the bible literally.

RavenPoe 12-21-2006 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 229094)
Poe my point is still the same. School teaches what experts have learned and discovered, not what religious fanatics want to force on us.

I'm not arguing your point but rather your method. One who would read this thread from beginning to end OBJECTIVELY, would view you as being as fanatic as inthenet. The quote above speaks directly to this. What you would call experts, they will call science fanatics. What you would call religious fanatics, they will call experts. It's a means to a circular debate with no possible conclusion.

Just saying!

Cure 12-21-2006 05:02 PM

We live on a hunk of rock and metal that circles a humdrum star that is one of 400 billion other stars that make up the Milky Way Galaxy which is one of billions of other galaxies which make up a universe which may be one of a very large number, perhaps an infinite number, of other universes. That is a perspective on human life and our culture that is well worth pondering.
-- Carl Sagan, quoted in Dan Lewandowski and John Stear, "A Tribute To Carl Sagan

IntheNet 12-21-2006 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 229093)
CREATIONISM IS NOT A LEGITIMATE THEORY, ASK ANY SCIENTIST

EVOLUTION IS UNTRUE, ASK ANY MONKEY!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.