Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Geiger out at OSU.... (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=11433)

FSUViking 01-05-2005 01:58 PM

Geiger out at OSU....

Wednesday, January 5, 2005

Associated Press
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger is retiring after two years of turmoil that included allegations of improper benefits by football star Maurice Clarett.

Geiger and school president Karen Holbrook planned to attend a news conference at 1 p.m. ET Wednesday.

From the time Clarett led the Buckeyes to the national championship in 2002, the school's athletic department has been beset by NCAA investigations of its football and men's basketball programs.

After leading Ohio State to the national title as a freshman, Clarett was suspended for lying to investigators during an NCAA probe of allegations that he received improper benefits from a family friend.

Geiger, 65, has been athletic director since 1994.

He fired basketball coach Jim O'Brien and football coach John Cooper and dealt with the recent embarrassments, but also oversaw an unprecedented building spree on campus that included the expansion of 83-year-old Ohio Stadium and the construction of Value City Arena and Bill Davis Stadium.

Ross 01-05-2005 02:01 PM

This doesn't surprise me at all. I think he just wanted to get out before things started to REALLY rain down.

coachJ 01-05-2005 05:40 PM

Tressel is next

Alex 01-05-2005 06:19 PM

Sounds more like "retired" than retired.

El Jefe 01-05-2005 07:12 PM

Talk about a guy who was a complete buffoon during the entire unfolding of the OSU scandals...good riddance.

Anthony 01-06-2005 09:32 AM

Wonder if the Vegas sports books have set a line on who files a slander suit against Clarett first, as between Geiger and Tressel?

KevinBeane 01-06-2005 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by coachJ
Tressel is next
I'll take that bet. He's not going anywhere.

buckeyefan78 01-07-2005 12:28 AM

One has to wonder if he left due to the heat or because he/ the university was about to go down. I tend to believe nothing could be linked to him directly, but he just can't run his immoral ship any longer. Hopefully the search yields someone who isn't a complete hack. This is a good chance for OSU's President ( her name escapes me right now) to clean up the joint.

Anthony 01-07-2005 09:20 AM

What are the chances that Ohio State will get the "death penalty" the way Southern Methodist did in 1987 and 1988?

KevinBeane 01-07-2005 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Anthony
What are the chances that Ohio State will get the "death penalty" the way Southern Methodist did in 1987 and 1988?
Probably zero, since not event he biggest critics of Ohio State are accusing them of doing anything anywhere near to the degree SMU did.

Marc 01-07-2005 03:48 PM

The calm before the storm. Ominous storm clouds are forming.

Richard the Lionheart 01-08-2005 08:49 PM

Where? Over Maurice Clarrett's fat head?

buckeyefan78 01-08-2005 11:36 PM

Anthony...

Past accusations brought NCAA investigations into Columbus and found little to nothing wrong. Any present day investigation that yielded death penalty sanctions would make the NCAA look VERY bad, considering they claimed to have found nothing wrong as late as two years ago. I still contend the university does little to nothing wrong as far as NCAA rules are concerned. The brass ( Geiger) simply let shady characters influence the athletic teams. That would be on and off the playing field. In this sense, I further contend the university's bad rep and bad habits were the action of a few ( namely Geiger, years ago Cooper and now Tressel). Without official violations by the university, no one on the inside could report the immoral behavior because they had no proof.

It is the responsibility of the university president to intervene here, but she hasn't a clue on these kind of matters. Look no further than Tressel being mentioned for the AD job yesterday. They still haven't learned. At Youngstown, Tressel was AD as well as football coach and ran the same immoral ship that Geiger was running. Once you create an environment of not putting up with this garbage, your program is well over half way there to squeaky cleanville.