Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Obama, Clinton to skip FOX debate... (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=16873)

buckeyefan78 04-10-2007 10:04 AM

Obama, Clinton to skip FOX debate...
 
Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton will not participate in a Democratic debate co-hosted by Fox News Channel this fall. John Edwards pulled out last week.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18035439/

**********************************************************

Valid stance?

Hissy fit?

CKFresh 04-10-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 243186)
Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton will not participate in a Democratic debate co-hosted by Fox News Channel this fall. John Edwards pulled out last week.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18035439/

**********************************************************

Valid stance?

Hissy fit?

Good for them. I don't think the Democratic candidates want to deal with Fox's "fair and balanced" approach. They know the motives of the network and they don't think it is a good idea to expose themselves to that type of crap.

IntheNet 04-10-2007 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 243189)
Good for them. I don't think the Democratic candidates want to deal with Fox's "fair and balanced" approach. They know the motives of the network and they don't think it is a good idea to expose themselves to that type of crap.

Okay Fresh; I accept though disagree with your premise. However, if these Democrat candidates favor softball questions that is certainly their choice. However, I don't think the "motives of the network" are in play here; at some point these Democrat candidates will have to address hard questions and simply avoiding fora and forum that are not pleasing to them is disingenous if they are truly candidates.

And I am sure you would feel the same way if candidates Guiliani, McCaine, and Romney skipped an ABC sponsored debate for the same reason.

CKFresh 04-10-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

And I am sure you would feel the same way if candidates Guiliani, McCaine, and Romney skipped an ABC sponsored debate for the same reason.
ABC isn't as biased as Fake News. If you want to make a comparison, say the Daily Show, or Al Frankin Show. They are as blatantly bias as Fake News.

IntheNet 04-10-2007 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 243199)
ABC isn't as biased as Fake News...

Your opinion is showing.

CKFresh 04-10-2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 243203)
Your opinion is showing.

Why do you think ABC is liberal? I can see MSNBC, but ABC? I always viewed them as slightly to the right.

IntheNet 04-10-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 243205)
Why do you think ABC is liberal? I can see MSNBC, but ABC? I always viewed them as slightly to the right.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as is media bias. You see FoxNews as biased but you question whether ABC is biased. Thereupon is your failure; your judgment point is everything at Fox is wrong while other networks are blameless. Your bias is based on your preception. That's acceptable but your statement that ABC is somehow less biased is fundamentally flawed.

I'll ask again, if candidates Guiliani, McCaine, and Romney skipped an ABC sponsored debate for the same reason as Clinton, Obama and Edwards, would you be upset?

CKFresh 04-10-2007 11:48 AM

Quote:

your judgment point is everything at Fox is wrong while other networks are blameless.
Incorrect. I think MSNBC is very liberal. So again, you are wrong.

Tell me how ABC is liberal.

Quote:

I'll ask again, if candidates Guiliani, McCaine, and Romney skipped an ABC sponsored debate for the same reason as Clinton, Obama and Edwards, would you be upset?
I couldn't care less if the republicans denied a debate on ABC. No sweat off my back.

IntheNet 04-10-2007 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 243223)
Tell me how ABC is liberal...

Tell me how Fox is conservative...

CKFresh 04-10-2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 243224)
Tell me how Fox is conservative...

Read post 5 on my Fox News thread.

In 2001, when the media watch group Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting studied the guestlist of FNC's flagship news program, Special Report, it found that Republicans made up 89 percent of Fox News' partisan guests, outnumbering Democrats 50 to 6. Avowed conservatives made up 71 percent of guests

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Fox_News

Ruppert Murdock owns Fox News, he openly suppports republicans and conservatives. Their two prime time anchors are as conservative as can be. Their "news" stories are exact replicas of the white house press releases.

http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1067

Scott Norvell is London bureau chief for Fox News. Here's a quote from him:

"Even we at Fox News manage to get some lefties on the air occasionally, and often let them finish their sentences before we club them to death and feed the scraps to Karl Rove and Bill O'Reilly. And those who hate us can take solace in the fact that they aren't subsidizing Bill's bombast; we payers of the BBC license fee don't enjoy that peace of mind.

Fox News is, after all, a private channel and our presenters are quite open about where they stand on particular stories. That's our appeal. People watch us because they know what they are getting. The Beeb's institutionalized leftism would be easier to tolerate if the corporation was a little more honest about it."

http://www.slate.com/id/2119864/

A year-long study by the University of Maryland's Program on International Policy Attitudes (PIPA)[9] reported that Americans who relied on the Fox News Channel for their coverage of the Iraq war were the most likely to believe misinformation about the war, whatever their political affiliation may be. Those mistaken facts, the study found, increased viewers' support for the war.

The study found that, in general, people who watched Fox News were, more than for other sources, convinced of several untrue propositions which were actively promoted by the Bush administration and the cheerleading media led by Fox, in rallying support for the invasion of Iraq

- Fifty-seven percent believed the falsity that Iraq gave substantial support to Al-Qaida, or was directly involved in the September 11 attacks (48% after invasion).
- Sixty-nine percent believed the falsity that Saddam Hussein was personally involved in the September 11 attacks.
- Twenty-two percent believed the falsity that weapons of mass destruction had been found in Iraq. (Twenty-one percent believed that chem/bio weapons had actually been used against U.S. soldiers in Iraq during 2003)

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Fox_News

Personnel

- Fox chairman Roger Ailes is a longtime Republican political operative with ties to the presidential administrations of Richard M. Nixon, Ronald Reagan and George Herbert Walker Bush. While serving as head of Fox, Ailes also gave political advice to the George W. Bush administration.

- Tony Snow, host of his own Fox talk show, was appointed White House Press Secretary April 26, 2006

Matt Gross, who left Fox News in March 2001 after working as a web journalist and editor, wrote to Romenesko about Reina's note

"Let me just say that the right-wing bias was there in the newsroom, up-front and obvious, from the day a certain executive editor was sent down from the channel to bring us in line with their coverage. His first directive to us: Seek out stories that cater to angry, middle-aged white men who listen to talk radio and yell at their televisions. (Oh, how I'd love to stick quotation marks around what is nearly a direct quote.)
To me, FNC reporters' laziness was the worst part of the bias. It wasn't that they were toeing some political line (though of course they were; see the embarrassing series on property rights from 2000), it was that the facts of a story just didn't matter at all. The idea was to get those viewers out of their seats, screaming at the TV, the politicians, the liberals -- whoever -- simply by running a provocative story," he wrote in October 2003. "

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Fox_News

Any questions?

IntheNet 04-10-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 243226)
Any questions?

Just one.

I read all your examples. Some are clear while others are not. What comes out is this: One could make similar charges to any network, in lesser or greater degree. Recall CNN's bias on 1990s Gulf war issue, CBS's fabrication of documents against President Bush, ABC's fictional story issue in 1997, and a whole host of other allegations and facts regarding each network's perceived or actual bias. Thus, what I am getting to is this: Bias is where one stands to see it. FoxNews has no more bias than other other network based on perception. Thus, how can one network be signaled out above others unfairly?

CKFresh 04-10-2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Thus, how can one network be signaled out above others unfairly?
Find me a movie that was made about any other network and their bias. Find me this many examples from another network.

Sure you can name examples of bias from every network. but I can also point to examples of bias from ABC that lean to the right. Can you find me any liberal bias on Fox?

You don't find it a little strange that 69% of Fox viewers thought that Saddam was responsible for 9/11?

IntheNet 04-10-2007 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 243239)
Sure you can name examples of bias from every network.

I agree....

CKFresh 04-10-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 243256)
I agree....

Are you going to adress the issue I presented, or just dodge the question?

DETMURDS 04-10-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 243189)
Good for them. I don't think the Democratic candidates want to deal with Fox's "fair and balanced" approach. They know the motives of the network and they don't think it is a good idea to expose themselves to that type of crap.

How the heck can Fox News change what those idiots say? C'mon MSNBC Fan!


The truth is on FOX


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.