Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Basketball Association (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pacers Hire O'Brien (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=17177)

doublee 05-31-2007 09:14 PM

Pacers Hire O'Brien

The Indiana Pacers hired Jim O'Brien to be their new head coach. It never ceases to amaze me how the same mediocre coaches keep getting jobs in the NBA. I wonder what Jermaine thinks of his new coach.

Marc 06-02-2007 01:06 PM

Doesn't matter what Jermaine thinks, he might be a Laker before long. But that's a tough one. Risk giving up a potential all-star and cornerstone in Bynum so you can win right now? If they are to appease Kobe, that means yes. As for O'Brien, blah. Mediocre, not bad, I've always said there has to be plenty of young, bright assistance out there looking for an opportunity, but few teams like to take the risk.

doublee 06-02-2007 01:58 PM

The thing about that is in order to get O'Neal they probably have to give up Odom, Radmanovic, and Bynum in the process. Bynum is the player the Pacers really want and Odom and Radmanovic will have to be thrown in to make it all work under the cap and I really fail to see how that immediately makes the Lakers that much of a better team given that you can count on O'Neal missing a significant number of games every year.

The Pacers are in a bad spot here. They are, by and large, a veteran team which means they need a coach they know can get them to the playoffs. O'Brien will probably get them to 40-45 wins but they won't go deep into the playoffs and they don't really have the luxury of potentially wasting two or three years on an unproven coach.

Billy D 06-02-2007 04:38 PM

I actually think O'Brien is a very good coach. I tend to blame the situation in Philly, and in Boston he made the conference finals with a team that did nothing prior nor since (recent history I mean). I guess we'll see here in Indy where the team is actually playoff-talent and the organization is competent

bama4256 06-07-2007 11:42 AM

I agree with the O'Brien hiring. I think he will do pretty well if he has the right players. That's true for any team I guess.

grizzle_810 06-11-2007 04:06 PM

The Pacers will always find a way to screw it up. It's in their nature. They need to start from scratch.

buckeyefan78 06-11-2007 06:04 PM

I'm a little shocked Bird would allow such a mediocre hire.

Is Jeff Van Gundy not gonna coach or what?

Marc 06-12-2007 12:47 PM

Van Gundy isn't much better, is he? Solid, but overall mediocre. He got to the Finals with the Knicks, but that's about it.

buckeyefan78 06-12-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 247631)
Van Gundy isn't much better, is he? Solid, but overall mediocre. He got to the Finals with the Knicks, but that's about it.

Van Gundy made the playoffs in 9 of 10 seasons with 2 different teams. He has a career 58% winning percentage and appeared in 1 NBA Finals.

Jim O'Brien did make the Eastern Finals with the Celtics a few years back but overall Van Gundy's resume is vastly superior. Plus Van Gundy is 10 years younger than O'Brien.

doublee 06-12-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 247600)
I'm a little shocked Bird would allow such a mediocre hire.

Is Jeff Van Gundy not gonna coach or what?

Does Van Gundy have any interest in the Pacers though?

I'd put Van Gundy about on par with a guy like Rick Adelman. A good but not a great coach.

buckeyefan78 06-13-2007 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee (Post 247646)
Does Van Gundy have any interest in the Pacers though?

I'd put Van Gundy about on par with a guy like Rick Adelman. A good but not a great coach.

I'll buy the Van Gundy = Adelman comparison big time. We have to remember that there only 3 active head coaches with rings though (Riley, Pop, Phil). Unless you can get one of those guys...you're getting a "good" but not "great" coach.