Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Major League Baseball (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Quentin out (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=20366)

Tarkus 09-05-2008 07:02 PM

Quentin out

excerpt:

Quentin has broken wrist, will have surgery

CHICAGO (AP) - American League home run leader Carlos Quentin has a broken wrist, and the Chicago White Sox left fielder will have surgery Monday that could sideline him for the rest of the season.

Quentin was removed from the lineup before Tuesday's game because of what the White Sox described then as a sore right forearm, and he hasn't played since. The team said Friday that he was hurt during last Monday's game at Cleveland....

Quentin has been hit 20 times in all this year, the most in the American League.

Chi-Sox can start emptying their lockers early. :rolleyes:

Regardless of if they got to the post season or how far they may have gotten once there, this seals the deal on all of that talk...

:redhot::redhot::redhot:

themush 09-05-2008 07:13 PM

I heard this just about an hour ago. Sucks for the Sux.

Brandon 09-05-2008 08:43 PM

That's too bad, I liked the guy and that he was living up to his D'Back's hype. We'll see if Griffey Jr. can pick up the slack. I'd have to say this puts the Central in the favor of the Twins by a bit. I thought they were pretty even going into the last month.

catman 09-06-2008 01:32 AM

Quentin was having a year that most players can only dream about. He left a decent situation in Arizona to join a team in a better situation. I hope he makes a full recovery and is ready to play next season.

doublee 09-06-2008 12:25 PM

This probably all but locks up the MVP for Pedroia now. It was probably going to come down to those two with Josh Hamilton getting his share of votes as well.

catman 09-06-2008 01:20 PM

I would agree with that, Doublee. However, if Justin Morneau goes on a tear, driving in 25 runs in the next 22 games and the Twins win the AL Central, he will get a lot of consideration for the award again.

Brandon 09-06-2008 08:49 PM

Yuck, not the greatest crop of AL MVP's this year. Mauer's another one to look at. My guess is that Pedroia will need some PR to pull off the the AL MVP, worthy or not.

doublee 09-07-2008 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon (Post 285821)
Yuck, not the greatest crop of AL MVP's this year. Mauer's another one to look at. My guess is that Pedroia will need some PR to pull off the the AL MVP, worthy or not.

I know part of the problem is a lot of the league's top hitters are on teams that have been out of the hunt for a while now so folks are not paying that much attention to them.

Pedroia seems to be the pick of the guys on ESPN. They keep throwing his name out there whenever they show Sox highlights and he does something positive.

I almost forgot. Don't forget about Francisco Rodriguez either. He will surely get his share of votes since he is going to set the saves record for arguably the league's best team and they have nobody swinging a hot enough bat to warrant consideration. Vlady has the best numbers and he is not even on pace to hit 30 homers or drive in 100 runs.

catman 09-07-2008 02:18 PM

Relief pitchers don't get credit for their value, doublee. K'Rod won't win the Cy Young, Cliff Lee likely will. He will get the Rolaids award, however. The MVP is traditionally given to a position player that creates a lot of runs. Presently, Pedroia has created 170 runs (runs scored + RBI - Hr). Morneau has created 178. Hamilton has created 180. Quentin has only created 160.

doublee 09-07-2008 08:33 PM

True they don't. But in a season where there really are no dominant offensive players on the best teams I would not be surprised to see K-Rod in the mix.

catman 09-08-2008 01:21 PM

Morneau has 183 runs created right now and Hamilton has 180. Pedroia has 171.