Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Hockey (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   $3 billion for NHL? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=11834)

azac 03-03-2005 08:52 PM

$3 billion for NHL?

The NHL recently received an offer from a group to buy the league for $3 billion.Should the NHL sell the league for $3 billion?

Marc 03-03-2005 11:38 PM

I have no idea, but that seems low. Hell, Donald Trump is worth $4 billion. An entire sports league for less than that?

doublee 03-03-2005 11:45 PM

Well, it is actually 3.5 billion which works out to roughly 117 million per franchise. But, if I heard correctly on television the owners of the more valuable franchises will get more money. Seeing as the Ducks just went for 75 million 3.5 billion for the whole league sounds about right. One has to consider that of the four major sports league the NHL has the lowest valued franchises. Hockey teams are worth nowhere near what football, basketball, and most baseball franchises are.

Ellis 03-03-2005 11:54 PM

I think that 3 billion is a good price. Here are some other stats about 3 billion dollars that are pretty interesting:

-The NHL would be sold for 285.19 billion dollars less than what walmart brings in from one year of revenues.
- The NHL would be sold for 3 times the value of the golf Company Callaway, which is the leading golf equipptment company in the US.
- If Pepsi bought the NHL it would only leave them with $480,000 in total cash.
- Google is worth 7 times the amount the NHL would be sold for.
- Bill Gates would only be able to buy the NHL 10 times with the money he has from Microsoft.

I came up with those myself. Of course, using real stats from all of my sources :)

After seeing those, I would say that 3 billion dollars is probably over priced for the NHL.

I price the NHL at 1.5 billion dollars.

Heathen 03-04-2005 12:11 AM

So they want to run the NHL like Burger King?

It'll never happen... all 30 owners would have to agree and while some would (Carolina, Anahiem etc) others would not (Detriot, Colorado etc.)

lmanchur. 03-04-2005 08:17 AM

Marc, the NHL is only worth $2.1 billion! This isn't the NFL here.

That said, when there is opportunity for growth, obviously you don't sell at what it's actually worth or even more than it's actually worth. The Leafs and Rangers and Wings and Flyers and Oilers and Cancuks and Avalanche, etc., can make LOADS of more money than whatever htey'd get under htis deal over time if the proper economic system is set up.

Ellis, I'd say the NHL revenues after this lockout will be between $1 and $1.5 billion. If the NHL goes out longer than this season then it'll definitely be less than $1 with ESPN and Budweiser pulling out almost definitley.

The concept of a blanket ownership isn't new... the WWF and NASCAR have prospered under it... but we also know what happened to the XFL.

Anyway, this would never happen to the NHL and we shouldn't consider this any longer than today.

MountaineerDave 03-04-2005 05:31 PM

Other examples of blanket ownership that come to mind quickly: WUSA, WNBA and if I'm not mistaken, MLL (but I could be wrong on that one).

Dave

doublee 03-04-2005 06:56 PM

CBA used to be blanket ownership, I don't know if it still is but I remember Isiah Thomas bought the league for something like 10 million dollars in between his NBA management stints with Toronto and Indiana.

Alex 03-04-2005 07:20 PM

You are correct, doublee. If I'm not mistaken, it was also under Isiah that the league was decimated and the league folded there for awhile before resurfacing.

There's too much red tape to get through for this to become a reality. Owners like Mike Illitch in Detroit and Stan Kroenke in Colorado are unlikely to sell, as are many other owners.

While I would like to see James Dolan out as owner of the Rangers, this isn't how it should happen.

lmanchur. 03-04-2005 08:24 PM

MLSE will never sell the Leafs either.

Don't forget the AFL/AFC was also blanket-owned... or so I heard.

doublee 03-04-2005 10:11 PM

I don't think the AFL was blanket-owned as some of the current owners like Lamar Hunt, Ralph Wilson, and Al Davis were owners in the AFL.