Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Site Feedback (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How do you get members? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=13185)

JBryant12 12-21-2005 03:47 PM

How do you get members?

Hey

I am part of a fairly All SEC new Message board: <ADMIN EDIT: link removed>
Since this is a successfull site with many members i was just wondering if any of you knew how i could get more members to frequent the site and post...there are around 230 or so members but not that many of them post...so i was just hopin some of you could give me some ideas on how to get people to join the site and post more often...

Thanks for your help

suedon1970 12-21-2005 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBryant12
Hey

I am part of a fairly new All SEC Message board: <Admin Edit: Link removed>
Since this is a successfull site with many members i was just wondering if any of you knew how i could get more members to frequent the site and post...there are around 230 or so members but not that many of them post...so i was just hopin some of you could give me some ideas on how to get people to join the site and post more often...

Thanks for your help

Hey! I'll join!:)

bama4256 12-21-2005 04:05 PM

Glad u joined us.

KevinBeane 12-21-2005 04:17 PM

Hmmm. This is a new approach, not quite sure how to handle it. I guess I will have to play good cop/bad cop.

Good cop: Hi and welcome to our boards! Since the boards were already popular when I joined, I can't pinpoint what pushed the site into the "successful" zone but I imagine that it has a lot to do with our Main Page and our talanted stable of writers. People would surf in, read the articles, and then decide to join our community. I'm sure you can succeed as just a message board alone, but, as I don't run one, I can't give good advice, but I'm sure others can.

Bad Cop: Nice try...comping some free pub by kissing the butt of the host. And it worked! Our guest usually ignore spam but you got at least one person to sign up and it didn't cost you a thing. The way people try to get free spam to stick gets slicker every day but I and my fellow mods stay one step ahead. I've removed your link. You can have it in your signature but you can't make posts about it. If your question is an honest one, and not a disguised attempt at free advertising, you won't even MIND that I removed the link. Otherwise, contact our adminstrator for advertising rates.

JBryant12 12-21-2005 06:20 PM

nah its cool you removed the link...it was a sincere question and i thank you for your advice...

Marc 12-21-2005 07:59 PM

The first thing is to not join another site and try to promote your site. That comes off as you trying to steal members and is a slap into the face to me or any other site owner who has put a lot of work into building a site.

I can tell you the biggest things are patience and persistence. This site didn't flourish overnight. It took five years for these boards to get to this point and eight for the main site. You have to get some activity going at first, even if it's just friends and family. Then it makes it more attractive to potential members.

Google to find some articles on promoting a site. And use forums like http://www.theadminzone.com/forums to help you. And don't start off with a zillion boards. Start with 2-3 and only create new ones when there is a need and they will be populated.

buckeyefan78 12-22-2005 01:09 AM

(shudders at the thought of an all-SEC site)

Billy D 12-22-2005 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78

Don't worry, i checked it out and the first two links i saw were to USC-related topics... and I'm not talking Spurrier's team. Probably won't go back myself

suedon1970 12-22-2005 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78

(shudders at the thought of an all-Big Ten site):stupid: