Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Basketball Association (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Playoffs: (2) Suns vs. (3) Spurs (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=17039)

HibachiDG 05-15-2007 07:33 PM

By the letter of the law, I'm not so sure Amare and Boris should be suspended. The letter of the law says they can't come off of the bench for an "altercation". Boris and Amare got up in response to Nash getting checked into the boards. Which is a foul, not an altercation.

Now, if you come off the bench and an altercation occurs, you're a catalyst for the altercation. In this case, they went back before taking part in or escalating the altercation.

By the letter of the law, they should not have been suspended. If the NBA wanted to stretch it in the most rigid manner possible, then they could choose to do so, but I don't think that is a good move...although they have done so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=2871615

Marc 05-16-2007 01:20 PM

I have to agree. And the worst part is it puts the Suns at a severe disadvantage that could alter the outcome of the series.

boston_aloha 05-18-2007 09:42 PM

This is why I have trouble watching the NBA. What are these stupid rules about leaving the bench?? They had footage of Duncan leaving the bench earlier and walking out to the 3 point line on a different play... so whats the rule? Or is it case by case?
Suspending Horry 2 games (a bench player) and Amare (a playmaker) one game is BS.
They should not of suspended anyone and just fined Horry for the forarm. Let them play!!
Just when I start giving the NBA a chance again, this crap happens...

doublee 05-18-2007 10:02 PM

See I tend to disagree simply because this is a rule that has been in place for several years now and everyone knows you do not leave the bench when an altercation is occurring on the floor. It is not as though this is some new rule that was just instituted before the playoffs.

Horry had to be suspended otherwise the league is setting itself up for a brawl by the end of this series. As for Diaw and Amare the rule is the rule it has been there for years and they know they are supposed to stay put in that instance.

boston_aloha 05-18-2007 10:44 PM

But then I ask why was Duncan not suspended when he left the bench on that other play?
To me it looks like the NBA is catoring to the Spurs. The Suns got hosed IMO.

da12ken 05-19-2007 01:28 AM

I wrote on this my blog and I'll repeat it.

According to the current rules if an NBA player leaves the bench during an altercation to perform CPR on a fallen teammate he would get suspended.

The league has to base penalties on intent and action instead of some arbitrary black and white guideline. Diaw and Stoudemire wanted to interject themselves into the fray but clearly and quickly retracted. Their natural reactions shouldn't warrant suspensions. What is the NBA actually penalizing in this instance: which players have the quickest Pavlovian response not to react?

doublee 05-19-2007 11:25 AM

And Duncan made no discernible action to interject himself into activity on the court which is why he did not get suspended. Let us not kid ourselves here if Amare had not been pulled back he would have joined into the fray. You see guys step over the sidelines around the bench all the time when the action is not over on that area of the floor.

da12ken 05-19-2007 02:51 PM

The reason Duncan didn't get suspended was because there wasn't an "altercation" during that play.

I agree Amare was going to join the fray if he wasn't pulled back and if there was no bench rule... but who knows what he would have done? Maybe he would've stopped at saying some harsh words to Horry and the Spurs. Does that warrant a suspension?

bama4256 05-21-2007 02:39 PM

it appears to me that SA is the strongest of all the teams in the playoffs.