Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Fox Sports' BCS bowl predictions... (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=17325)

buckeyefan78 06-23-2007 04:16 PM

Fox Sports' BCS bowl predictions...

BCS NC Game: USC vs. LSU
Rose Bowl: Wisconsin vs. UCLA
Sugar Bowl: Michigan vs. Hawaii
Fiesta Bowl: Louisville vs. Texas
Orange Bowl: Virginia Tech vs. West Virginia

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6871352

My predictions...

BCS NC Game: Wisconsin vs. Texas
Rose Bowl: Michigan vs. USC
Sugar Bowl: Florida vs. Rutgers
Fiesta Bowl: Oklahoma vs. Hawaii
Orange Bowl: Boston College vs. LSU

Dano 06-23-2007 04:42 PM

Wow dude, you really stuck your neck out on that BCSNC game. Your either going to look like one smart SOB, or a stupid monkey.

You like banana's?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...com/banana.jpg

da12ken 06-23-2007 11:19 PM

What's so stupid. Texas has a great chance of running the table. I'm not as sure about the Badgers though.

Dano 06-24-2007 10:34 AM

What is it with the TexAss kick? Have we forgot that their freshman QB was carried off on a strecher last season. And when he came back he was gun shy? I just don't get it. They can't even get out of their own conference without a loss. Stoopes will be gunning for the big 12 title and a shy sophmore QB that wears burn't orange.

Dublin Mike 06-25-2007 11:17 PM

Definately like the Texas pick 78. I dunno about Wisconsin. USC is going to be tough this year. A Rose Bowl rematch? No vince Young = USC payback.

coachJ 06-25-2007 11:53 PM

Vince Young is no longer there to save Mack anymore, so i dont doubt that he will bow down in a big game again.

da12ken 06-26-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dano (Post 248732)
What is it with the TexAss kick? Have we forgot that their freshman QB was carried off on a strecher last season. And when he came back he was gun shy? I just don't get it. They can't even get out of their own conference without a loss. Stoopes will be gunning for the big 12 title and a shy sophmore QB that wears burn't orange.

He was carried off in a stretcher because of a blatant cheapshot. If I'm not mistaken he also set a NCAA record for most TD throws by a true freshman. I'd take Texas' QB situation over Oklahoma's.

Dano 06-26-2007 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da12ken (Post 248894)
He was carried off in a stretcher because of a blatant cheapshot. If I'm not mistaken he also set a NCAA record for most TD throws by a true freshman. I'd take Texas' QB situation over Oklahoma's.

OK, take the QB. I'll take the rest of the match-up between the two. Oklahoma will still end up on top of TexAss.

Now what do TaxAss, And LSU have in common?

ANSWER- Both have some of the best talent in the nation, with it's weakness at the head coaching psoition.

If LSU had any kind of a coach. I would put them against Southern Cal in the BCSCG. I would like to see LSU's talent coached by Mark Richt. Now there would be another National Title for the SEC.

buckeyefan78 06-27-2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublin Mike (Post 248861)
Definately like the Texas pick 78. I dunno about Wisconsin. USC is going to be tough this year. A Rose Bowl rematch? No vince Young = USC payback.

Wisconsin is loaded. If they get "decent" play from the quarterback position and can navigate a tough November schedule they have a real shot at the BCS Title Game.

USC has a killer schedule (per usual). I see a loss somewhere...maybe Arizona State.

Texas has a weak schedule. Not one BCS team in non-conf and they get TCU at home.

digital7 06-27-2007 10:25 PM

Wisconsin is a rising program. I think they'll play at a BCS game this year.

Im not too sure about Texas. They're notoriously known to choke down the stretch and manage to lose *atleast* one game during the season. Mack Brown has his work cut out for him, getting five star after five star recruit every year and only amounting to ONE national title that was sweated out. If you look at his record and compare it to what he's brought in.. it's lackluster to say the least. It's not the talent.. so that just leaves one thing.

Dont count out the Hurricanes to represent the ACC this year or atleast contend for the ACC title. Randy Shannon is whipping those boys down there into shape.

coachJ 06-27-2007 10:50 PM

The only thing that won Texas the championship that year was Vince Young saving them. If it wasnt for VY, Texas doesnt have a championship or even make it to the game. I was very unhappy when Texas gives Mack a 10 year extension when all he has done is choke in big games.

buckeyefan78 06-28-2007 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digital7 (Post 248985)
Wisconsin is a rising program. I think they'll play at a BCS game this year.

Wisconsin is an ELITE program right now. They've won the most games in the Big Ten over the last 3 years. They have 3 conference titles in the last 14 years and are the only Big Ten team in history to win consecutive Rose Bowls. They are 9-3 in bowl games since 1993. That includes two consecutive wins vs. the SEC...God's gift to college football. :rolleyes: They are also a very respectable 12-16-1 against the Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State conglomerate since 1993. In fact, they've won in their last three trips to Columbus.

digital7 06-28-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 249027)
Wisconsin is an ELITE program right now. They've won the most games in the Big Ten over the last 3 years. They have 3 conference titles in the last 14 years and are the only Big Ten team in history to win consecutive Rose Bowls. They are 9-3 in bowl games since 1993. That includes two consecutive wins vs. the SEC...God's gift to college football. :rolleyes: They are also a very respectable 12-16-1 against the Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State conglomerate since 1993. In fact, they've won in their last three trips to Columbus.

Im not too sure about elite, but if you say so.. I'll take your word for it. They have an excellent young and up and coming coach and they've recruited well the last couple of years, but they still havent played for a National Championship.. Rose Bowls are great in the Big Ten and that's what counts for them... but until you win a NC or ATLEAST play for a NC in the last 5 years, you're not elite in my eyes.

I havent seen Wisconsin finish in the Top 3 as far as I could remember. Hell, they were just ranked in the Top 5 last year for the first time in YEARS. So, that's why I say they are a rising program. ONE Top 5 finish in the last 10 years and a school that hasnt been in the running for a NC is not quite elite. When I think of elite, I think of schools like Florida, Auburn, Ohio State, Georgia and even schools like Texas, LSU, Oklahoma and Miami... teams that for the most part, are in the running for a NC every year or have been the last few years.

Alex 06-29-2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 248974)
Wisconsin is loaded. If they get "decent" play from the quarterback position and can navigate a tough November schedule they have a real shot at the BCS Title Game.

USC has a killer schedule (per usual). I see a loss somewhere...maybe Arizona State.

Texas has a weak schedule. Not one BCS team in non-conf and they get TCU at home.

Wisconsin isn't loaded. They have a good tailback and a strong defense, maybe the best in the Big Ten, but they have a rather pedestrian group of skill players on offense and as we have seen over the past couple of years, that is what makes you a MNC contender (Texas, Florida, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, etc.). I really like the tight end, Travis Beckum, but other than him no one on offense is going to create serious mismatches for opposing defenses.

They have an excellent shot at winning the Big Ten but they'll drop at least two of three between Penn State (road), Ohio State (road), and Michigan easily.

As for them being elite, I have to agree with digital. Wisconsin needs to play for a national title before they get to that next level. They haven't done that within the past two decades, or even since the mid-'30s when the "modern" polls came out to decide champions. They remind me a lot of Texas A&M from the '80s and '90s- they're a good program but they're right on the cusp of being an elite program, they're just not quite there yet. If John Stocco was back this season, I think they could've taken the leap.

buckeyefan78 06-29-2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 249135)
Wisconsin isn't loaded. They have a good tailback and a strong defense, maybe the best in the Big Ten, but they have a rather pedestrian group of skill players on offense and as we have seen over the past couple of years, that is what makes you a MNC contender (Texas, Florida, Southern Cal, Oklahoma, etc.). I really like the tight end, Travis Beckum, but other than him no one on offense is going to create serious mismatches for opposing defenses.

They have an excellent shot at winning the Big Ten but they'll drop at least two of three between Penn State (road), Ohio State (road), and Michigan easily.

As for them being elite, I have to agree with digital. Wisconsin needs to play for a national title before they get to that next level. They haven't done that within the past two decades, or even since the mid-'30s when the "modern" polls came out to decide champions. They remind me a lot of Texas A&M from the '80s and '90s- they're a good program but they're right on the cusp of being an elite program, they're just not quite there yet. If John Stocco was back this season, I think they could've taken the leap.

What?????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Hubbard, Luke Swan, and P.J. Hill don't cut the mustard as far as skilled positions go?

Wisky has the 2nd best receiving corps in the Big Ten (behind PSU of course :D).

They also have the best O line in the league...hands down. Their D line is 2nd only to UM.

Best punter and kicker in the Big Ten...hands down.

They can navigate the Big Ten...it will be tougher than last year...no doubt. As far as skilled positions go and playing for a MNC...what about 2002 Ohio State?

BTW Alex...I have the Badgers winning in Happy Valley.

Now buck waits for an explosion...:lol:

Alex 06-29-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 249139)
What?????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil Hubbard, Luke Swan, and P.J. Hill don't cut the mustard as far as skilled positions go?

Wisky has the 2nd best receiving corps in the Big Ten (behind PSU of course :D).

They also have the best O line in the league...hands down. Their D line is 2nd only to UM.

Best punter and kicker in the Big Ten...hands down.

They can navigate the Big Ten...it will be tougher than last year...no doubt. As far as skilled positions go and playing for a MNC...what about 2002 Ohio State?

BTW Alex...I have the Badgers winning in Happy Valley.

Now buck waits for an explosion...:lol:

Michael Jenkins was better than either of those two. Those two have experience but neither is going to create extreme mismatches for secondaries, like Penn State's. Hill is a quality back and I admit that, no question about him. But '02 OSU had Craig Krenzel at QB. Kid was a gamer. He was a throwback to the prototypical college championship QB of the '80s and early '90s- not a great talent but had the brains and moxie to win the big games. Is Donovan that? Time will tell I suppose. That '02 Buckeye team was an exception, not the rule when it comes to BCS era national championships. They were a reincarnation of the '86 PSU team that upset Miami. Seemingly inferior talent at all of the skill positions but out-muscled the superior opponent. And while I've never been big on using it as an excuse, OSU got a big, big break with that pass interference call in that game.

I can't fault you for having them win in Happy Valley. The Badgers have a lot of experience and are coming off a 12-win season. But just keep in mind that over the past two years PSU has only lost once and that was to Michigan with a third-year starter at QB and PSU ending the game with their third string QB playing. And UM still only won by a touchdown.

Also, don't forget that PSU demolished a pretty good Wisconsin team in Happy Valley two years ago.

And FWIW, if PSU loses a home game this year it will be to Wisconsin. Ohio State doesn't stand a chance when the sun goes down and the lights come on.

doublee 06-29-2007 06:11 PM

Wisconsin's an elite program? I don't know about that, I mean they have not played in a BCS bowl game since 2000. I am sorry but elite programs don't go 7/8 years between conference championships. Elite programs don't typically go to the Citrus Bowl year after year.

buckeyefan78 06-30-2007 12:03 PM

I hear what you're sayin' Alex but my feeling is that if you can navigate thru the Big Ten without a loss playing the old school way (as Wisconsin does) then all you need to do is out-muscle your "superior" southern foe come the bowl.

Ohio State broke their identity and I can't complain cuz we dominated Michigan and won the Big Ten but our schools will never be able to use spread formations/gimmicks to win on the national level.

That's why Wisconsin has done so well against the SEC in recent years. Grind and frustrate your "superior" opponent.

Remember Tony Hunt runnin' between the tackles over and over and over again vs. Tennessee last year? They knew we wanted to run the clock out and they couldn't do anything about it.

Football players are still better than athletes. I'll believe it til the day I die...LOL.

And the pass interference call again? Which side are you on anyway? LOL.

doublee...

Wisconsin couldn't play in a BCS bowl last year due to a stupid rule. All I know is this...

Most wins last 3 seasons...

1. USC 36
2. Texas 34
3. Auburn 32
4. Wisconsin 31

doublee 06-30-2007 02:43 PM

But that would still only be one BCS game since 2000 and a 3 year snapshot is hardly a strong argument to make for a program being elite. Go back to '02 and '03 and they were a program struggling to get bowl eligible.

Also your most wins in the last 3 seasons is inaccurate. Boise has 33 wins, Louisville has 32 wins.

Honestly, the fact that Wisconsin has that many wins and 0 Big Ten Championships to show for it in the last 3 years speaks to them not playing anyone of note out of the conference and not being able to close the deal in the conference.

Oh, and that is not to mention Wisconsin ran and tucked tail when Va Tech approached them about playing a home and home about a year ago.

buckeyefan78 06-30-2007 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee (Post 249283)
But that would still only be one BCS game since 2000 and a 3 year snapshot is hardly a strong argument to make for a program being elite. Go back to '02 and '03 and they were a program struggling to get bowl eligible.

Also your most wins in the last 3 seasons is inaccurate. Boise has 33 wins, Louisville has 32 wins.

Honestly, the fact that Wisconsin has that many wins and 0 Big Ten Championships to show for it in the last 3 years speaks to them not playing anyone of note out of the conference and not being able to close the deal in the conference.

Oh, and that is not to mention Wisconsin ran and tucked tail when Va Tech approached them about playing a home and home about a year ago.

Sorry for the bad stat. I meant BCS teams in that span (L'Ville doesn't qualify). They are #4 if you go by that.

2002 and 2003 were down years but they've had the 3rd most wins in the Big Ten behind Ohio State and Michigan since Penn State joined the conference in 1993.

I know the lack of conference titles in recent years is a rough stat to get around but they had no opportunity to play Ohio State last year.

The ducking of V Tech is a notable knock but over the past 14 years they've played a non-conf plate that is at least equal to the best the SEC has. And I've been critical of them for that. I have higher standards for them.

Still, it all depends on what you mean by "elite." What teams do you consider to be "elite" and I'm sure Wisconsin's resume will be able to hang with a good deal of them.