Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Basketball (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   UNC is #1 (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=21224)

buckeyefan78 11-07-2008 05:17 PM

UNC is #1

In both preseason polls.

No big shocker there. Tyler H.'s health is of concern though. Duke as low as #8 in the AP.

Interesting.

See anything crazy here...

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/polls

CKFresh 11-07-2008 05:21 PM

Xavier as high as 11 in the Fox Sports poll but not existent in the others... Strange

doublee 11-07-2008 05:26 PM

Is the FoxSports poll and actual poll or is it just some Internet fan poll that has no real meaning to it?

I mean it also has Louisville 15th and UConn 16th when they are 3rd and 2nd respectively in both of the other polls.

Preseason polls are useless anyway.

Marc 11-07-2008 05:35 PM

First time in a long time Kentucky wasn't a preseason top 25 team. But I guarantee they'll make noise this year. Gillespie finally has his own players, a bunch of talented, lengthy players. Patrick Patterson will be a household name.

doublee 11-07-2008 05:39 PM

I am curious to see how Davidson fares this year. I think their PG was the only significant player they lost to graduation off of last year's team and word is that Curry is going to be given a shot at running the offense this year.

Marc 12-30-2008 06:01 PM

Is there any stopping UNC? They look like the run-away favorite to win it all, having won a record number of games in a row by double-digits (I don't recall the number). They are just loaded...

luke broadbent 12-30-2008 08:14 PM

The only thing stopping UNC is that come play-off time it is one-off matches, in which anyone can theoretically win on the day.

However, on a side note, I do like the look of Georgetown at the moment. Their performance against UConn was pretty impressive.

doublee 12-30-2008 11:36 PM

I have seen most of their games this year and the only thing that may be UNC's undoing is if Lawson has another lengthy injury. They have so much depth everywhere else. Nobody can match them on the inside with Thompson, Hansbrough, and Davis and a major difference between this year's squad and last year's is that Roy finally seems to have convinced these guys they need to play defense if they want to win a championship. They are much more focused on the defensive end this year there seems to be more chemistry and guys like Green, Ellington, and Lawson have put the team ahead of the NBA aspirations. It just seemed like last year those three were playing more for the scouts than they were for the Coach Williams.

Marc, to answer your question they have won every game by 10 or more this year so that would be 12 straight since they got hammered in their last game last year by Kansas.

There are those beginning to wonder if they will run the table this year.

Marc 01-15-2009 06:08 PM

UNC is 0-2 in ACC. 0-2! What is wrong with the Heels, guys?

doublee 01-16-2009 04:23 PM

They got lazy over the Christmas break and lost their focus. They are reverting back to playing sloppy defense and Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington seem to be worrying about their NBA status again instead of doing what needs to be done for the team to win.

Losing to Wake was half-expected by a lot of the local media, at the very least they knew Wake was going to give Carolina all it could handle, but losing to BC was pretty unexpected. They smacked UVA around last night and seem to be getting back on the right trail.

Marc 01-19-2009 10:08 PM

At any rate, it looks like Wake Forest is No. 1 and Duke No. 2 right now. Can't beat the state of NC for basketball ... and this is coming from a KY fan.

The Running Man 01-19-2009 11:47 PM

How does Pitt drop to 4 with just one loss and being at #1? They just beat # 8 Syracuse today...but wait... they aren't in the ACC...:rolleyes:

doublee 01-20-2009 11:45 AM

But the polls came out before the Syracuse game so it has no influence on the polls and Duke and Wake both had big wins this weekend and UConn always tends to get more votes than it deserves. But as I said before the polls are useless anyway.

The Running Man 01-20-2009 12:15 PM

I was just making a point with how they crushed the #8 team after the polls were released. Sort of proving how ridiculous dropping them that far is.

doublee 01-21-2009 11:54 AM

To be honest I think the Big East is a bit overrated to begin with. But the bigger question you should be raising is how was Syracuse still #8 in the first place when they were dominated by a lower ranked Georgetown team last week.