Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Hockey (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Aftermath of Penguins-Islanders (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=23870)

jhuerbin88 02-13-2011 12:40 PM

Aftermath of Penguins-Islanders

Quote:

NHL levies suspensions to Penguins and Isles

The National Hockey League has suspended Pittsburgh's Eric Godard for 10 games, while Trevor Gillies of the New York Islanders received a nine-game suspension and Isles forward Matt Martin drew a four-game suspension for their actions during Friday's game on Long Island.

The disciplinary actions were announced by NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell following in-person hearings with the Islanders on Saturday evening in Buffalo, where the Isles play Sunday afternoon.
Also noted in that article: Islanders organization fined $100,000 for failure to control their players.

My thoughts: I'm glad the NHL realized that what the Islanders did was completely unacceptable. The Islanders wanted revenge, but they did it the completely wrong way. They were a team, and a coach, with nothing to lose and it showed.

Yes, they wanted to get back at Johnson (for knocking out DiPietro). They did that by lighting him up for 5 goals quickly. But after fighting some guy, you don't leave your path to box to take on the goalie in a fight.

Yes, they wanted to get back at Talbot (for an accidental injury to Comeau). But you don't blindside, suckerpunch a guy.

And the Gillies charge/elbow to the head? Another blatant attempt to injure.

The Islanders are a mess and won't be going anywhere anytime soon if they keep acting this way.

buckeyefan78 02-14-2011 12:27 AM

Did this game set the record for penalty minutes?

Saw the highlights...looked brutal.

Have you been to the new arena? I heard it's real nice. Would like to make a trip down if someone can score me a few free tix.

Ellis 02-14-2011 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 304736)
Have you been to the new arena? I heard it's real nice. Would like to make a trip down if someone can score me a few free tix.

It's nice, but nothing amazing-- it's no PNC Park.

On the game, I thought Gillies deserved a much longer suspension. The hit was dirty enough, but punching and taunting an injured player that you just injured is classless and completely unacceptable.

jhuerbin88 02-14-2011 02:31 PM

buckeye, I don't think it set the record, but it was definitely up there. I knew heading into it that the Islanders wanted revenge for a couple hits, but I never expected anything like that. Just so many blatant attempts to injure.

As for the new arena, it's nice. There was definitely something special about the Mellon Arena and how old it was, but this arena is great.

Rob, not sure if you can compare an indoor hockey arena to an outdoor baseball park.