Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cheapshot at Warner; should the Eagles do it? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=3065)

Dre2g 01-27-2002 11:44 AM

Cheapshot at Warner; should the Eagles do it?

Now you all know about Kurt Warner's bruised ribs, that have been ailing him for a week now. So should the Eagles hit warner after a play, take the 15 yard penalty just to hurt Warner and force him out the game? I think they should do it. Cheap? Yes. But it helps their chances of winning.

bama4256 01-27-2002 12:04 PM

I think Warner should be open game.

Richard the Lionheart 01-27-2002 12:17 PM

I think they should go after the ribs within the rules of the game. I dont think they should hit him late, but if you are about to sack him, it would be a good idea to hit his ribs.

lmanchur. 01-27-2002 04:49 PM

I agree with Rick.... you don't play out of the rules to try and win the game.

Marc 01-27-2002 06:51 PM

I agree with the last two posts - they definitely should put pressure on Warner, but not play outside of the rules.

Dre2g 01-27-2002 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mjames
I agree with the last two posts - they definitely should put pressure on Warner, but not play outside of the rules.
Looks like they did play inside the rules.

Anthony 01-28-2002 03:35 AM

To head off even speculation about things like this in the future, the NFL should implement a 25-yard penalty for any hit that, in the judgment of the referee, meets the criteria for "intent to injure" (a similar penalty enhancement currently exists in hockey) - and also nullification of the play should it be favorable to the guilty player's team, plus loss of down if the infraction was committed by an offensive player, or an automatic first down if by the defense. And "half the distance" should not apply; if the previous spot was inside the 25, the ball should be placed on the 1-yard line. Also, the player flagged for such a foul should face mandatory ejection, automatic suspension for the next game (which would be served in Week 1 of the following regular season if the incident occurred in the last game of the regular season and the guilty player's team does not make the playoffs, or in a playoff game lost by the guilty player's team), plus a fine equal to 1/17th of his salary for that year (or the entire playoff share for the game missed if the suspension is served in a postseason game).

Furthermore, should the victim of any cheap shot found to be an "intent-to-injure" hit miss any games beyond the one in which the incident occurred, the guilty player should be suspended for the duration of the victim's absence, plus one additiional week, all without pay; and if such an injury puts the victim out for the season, the guilty player's team should be made to forfeit a draft choice to the victim's team in the next draft - the round of which would be determined by the commissioner's office, and not to exceed one first-round pick.

That should solve this problem - once and for all!