Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Should College Football Players Be Paid? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=14361)

bama4256 08-08-2006 06:09 PM

Should College Football Players Be Paid?

I say yes. The schools make so much money off them. I say pay them a 100 dollars per game and 500 if they play in a Bowl game. Let's fight poverty in college football.:redhot:

WI Sports Fan 08-08-2006 06:21 PM

I think that college athletes should get paid a certain percentage of the schools profit from their sport. This would cut down on players like Rhett Bomar trying to get easy money. I don't know his motivation for doing that, but it's just the best example I can think of.

If college football players were paid, I think that recruiting would be a lot cleaner and the players wouldn't do illegal things in order to get money, at least not as much.

Stat_Boy 08-08-2006 06:36 PM

No. I'm old school. If they got payed it make everything more complicated anyway. Lots of holds outs. There'd probably be a cap for every team. And other unneccessary politics.

Pronk48 08-08-2006 06:39 PM

No, that basically turns them into pro's. What's good about college sports is that they are playing to win, not to get a check.

Dublin Mike 08-08-2006 06:39 PM

Here is the problem w/that. Your bigger schools may be able to afford it, but, what happens to your smaller schools that can't afford it. Do their sports programs go in the toilet? What about Div 1-AA schools? They surely can't afford it.

aubie2006 08-08-2006 06:44 PM

I wouldn't expect anything else but for a Bama fan to say they should be paid. Aren't ya'll already paying them? ALBERT MEANS

doublee 08-08-2006 07:13 PM

Truth be told the majority of D-I schools would not be able to afford it without cutting out a bunch of the non-revenue sports. Most athletic programs struggle to break even or make a small profit as it is. The bulk of the money brought in by football and basketball goes to support the swim team, baseball, golf, softball, etc.

Dublin Mike 08-08-2006 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee
Truth be told the majority of D-I schools would not be able to afford it without cutting out a bunch of the non-revenue sports. Most athletic programs struggle to break even or make a small profit as it is. The bulk of the money brought in by football and basketball goes to support the swim team, baseball, golf, softball, etc.

The effects of Title 9, correct?

doublee 08-08-2006 07:20 PM

Yes and no. There are still tons of men's sports that generate little to no money at most schools like baseball, golf, tennis, swimming, etc. Really basketball and football are the only two sports that generate significant revenues and are self-sustaining sports at most D-I athletic programs.

da12ken 08-08-2006 07:21 PM

And we all love Title IX, right?

I wouldn't have a problem with collegiate athletes receiving stipends for playing sports. College medical, law and engineering students receive payments on top of scholarship money for performing work in the fields they excel in. That being said, the amount of revenue would definitely be too much for the majority of programs to maintain. And somehow I'm sure college players/program would manipulate the system, and the NCAA wouldn't do much to regulate it.

buckeyefan78 08-08-2006 07:27 PM

They get paid right now. It's called a scholarship.

Dublin Mike 08-08-2006 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
They get paid right now. It's called a scholarship.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

fearthehawk47 08-08-2006 07:55 PM

Are we forgetting that they are given a scholarship, and most players are on a full scholarship, meaning they don't have to pay a dime for education? Let's say a college is $20,000 a year, if they go for all 4 years, they save $80,000. That's payment enough.

buckeyefan78 08-08-2006 08:02 PM

Most state schools run anywhere from $2,000 (in the south and west) to $10,000 (in the midwest to the northeast) for residents...generally speaking.

Notre Dame, USC, Miami...think they get cha at around $34,000 a year.

doublee 08-08-2006 08:06 PM

Yeah, Buckeye is right it is rare to see a state run school charging $20K per year for tuition, even for out of state students. I think it runs around $15 to $16K for out of state tuition to go to NC State.