Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Hockey (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Next Year's Most Disappointing Team (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=1716)

lmanchur. 07-15-2001 06:18 PM

Next Year's Most Disappointing Team

Well, the majority of offseasons have already occured -- the only "big-name" free agent left is Brett Hull. Now, as they are currently doing in the basketball forum, I want to hear who you think will be the most disappointing team next season. Here's a recap of this offseaon's biggest moves so far:

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
New York Islanders got two VERY GOOD centermen, and re-signed last year's top player, Mariusz Czerkawski.

The Ottawa Senators traded away Ya$hin for Jason Spezza.

The Toronto Maple Leafs got Alexander Mogilny and re-signed d-man Bryan (sp?) McCabe.

The Washington Captials got the highest scoring player for the past four seasons, Jaromir Jagr.

The St. Louis Blues re-signed Keith Tkachuk and also received Doug Weight's services.

The Dallas Stars got Pierre Turgeon.

The Detroit Red Wings got Dominik Hasek and Luc Robitalle.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Of these teams, I think the Washington Captials will be the most disappointed. Yeah, Jagr's a good player, but I just don't see the Capitals going much farther than they did last year... they'll most likely make the second round, but after that, I don't think they will go much farther... Jagr doesn't single-handedly bring you the Stanley Cup as a lot of people are speculating.

dragons 07-15-2001 08:26 PM

Most Dissaponting Team

I think the Stars will be, though I won't mind since I already think they are over-achievers.

Wedge231 07-15-2001 09:47 PM

I say the Islanders. They're just bad..... I don't care who they trade for.

lmanchur. 07-15-2001 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Wedge231
I say the Islanders. They're just bad..... I don't care who they trade for.
...is that a RANGER fan talking!? :D

...I think the Islanders will definitely not be among the league's ten worst teams.... that means that they'll kinda be contending for the playoffs... but not really, down the stretch... they have a decent team now, but, as I said in a recent article on SC, they don't have a good enough defense OR a goalie to get into the playoffs yet.

Marc 07-15-2001 11:48 PM

What about my Devils? I like them and all, but didn't they lose a few players? I hate to say it, but you never know... their fans have some high expectations after seeing them win the Cup and then go to the Finals the next year.

icas 07-16-2001 12:08 AM

I'm hoping the Red Wings have a crappy year

roenickchick 07-16-2001 04:01 AM

with all the talk and bluster around Phoenix about how we are 'NOT REBUILDING' and how they will put together a playoff team THIS SEASON, those fans that believe the bull from the new "regime" will be THE most disappointed fans in hockey.

the rest of us Coyotes fans are already the most disappointed in hockey. we had such high hopes when the team was finally sold, when we knew we'd have Gretzky in charge... and look what we have so far. Mad Man Fletcher, cutting and slashing and lieing out both sides of his mouth while he does it.

Gotta be Phoenix. they've gutted my team and broken my heart and have proven they dont really give a damn about the fans waiting all this time for this team to be sold. not when Fletcher says we shouldn't be complaining, but just thankful the team isn't in Portland.

at least in portland we'd have a few of our recognizable stars left. they might was well leave the names off the jerseys on this team now.

bitter? who me??

lmanchur. 07-16-2001 01:34 PM

Marc... I don't think the Devils have lost too many players... Alexander Mogilny is the only "big-named guy" I can think of right now... John Vanbiesbruk, who was their back-up for the final three months of the season (incl. playoffs), retired, but he barely played at all in the time he was there, and his role shouldn't be too hard to replace. I don't think the Devils fans will be disappointed, though I don't think they'll become the first team to make the Stanley Cup Finals three years in a row since the Edmonton Oilers in this upcoming season.

But, roenickchick, the way you described it -- the media and team in Phoenix saying they'll be a playoff team next season... well, if they (the fans) actually and truley believe that... yes, they'll be VERY disappointed, and this is NOT coming from a bitter Manitoban... though I am a bitter Manitoban.. this is a hockey "expert" speaking right now ;) .... the Coyotes are definitley not playoff calibr this year.

...no goalie (no way Burke will continue the way he played last year)... no star forwards (Roenick.. Tkachuk)... no decent defenseman (I believe Jyrki Lumme left... now they only have Numminen)... losing Reichel and the rights to Renberg....... they'll contend with the Ducks for last place this year :D

Ross 07-16-2001 02:14 PM

I'm sorry but I just think these threads are an oxy moron. Before the season, you can only make predictions from the information you have. Therefore, you have to see at least a third of the season before deciding who is most disappointing. Get what I'm saying?

NickHammy 07-16-2001 03:33 PM

Ross, they are predicting who they think will be the most disapointing team....not who is....

lmanchur. 07-16-2001 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Ross in Big D
I'm sorry but I just think these threads are an oxy moron. Before the season, you can only make predictions from the information you have. Therefore, you have to see at least a third of the season before deciding who is most disappointing. Get what I'm saying?
Yes, we get it.... it's called "predictions"...... we're doing this based "only...from the information (we) have" .... people ALWAYS compare teams to other teams based on how they look on paper.... that's exactly what we're doing here.

...then later in the year we can come back and see who was right/wrong!

Ross 07-16-2001 09:14 PM

Okay what the heck, I'll do this.

I'll say the Sens to get a rise out of Lee. You're counting on a rookie to replace Yashin, right?

lmanchur. 07-16-2001 09:46 PM

Quote:

You're counting on a rookie to replace Yashin, right?
Yes.... in 3 or 4 years Jason Spezza will most definitley be a better player than Ya$hin was at the same age...if not... well, I don't want a player that illegally sits out an entire season and whines and whines and whines about $3.5-or-whatever-million-dollars per season when he PERFECTLY LEGALLY SINGED A CONTRACT SAYING HE'D PLAY FOR THAT MUCH MONEY. I don't want criminals on my favorite team... there aren't too many of them in hockey... he's the only one I can think of off hand... Besides, it seems he'd rather play golf in April than the playoffs.... he has ONE point in the past EIGHT playoff games... and that was an ASSIST!!!!!!!!!!..... not good enough, even if he was an MVP nominee in 1999... that was based on the regular season only... and another thing! -- he sat out for more money right after he finished scoring ZERO points in the Buffalo/Ottawa series in 1999!!!.... I mean, if he had scored TWENTY points in two or three series, then I might understand him asking politely for a pay increase... but he had NONE in a series that Ottawa was SWEPT in!!!....

ggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrr

....thanks for listening... had to get that off my chest... I hate Alexei "Ca$hin'" Ya$hin.

In 3 or 4 or 5 years, Jason Spezza will be a franchise player... a Canadian boy who would actually rather play hockey than golf in April.

No one expects Spezza to come in and be a superstar and replace Ya$hin immediately.... but he will eventually.... you wait and see.

...is that enough of a "rise" for you!?.... :D ....I'm not so much angry that you said the Sens would do bad... they will be in the playoffs easy... not having Ya$hin there is certainly going to help (off-ice).... I would have rather the Sens traded him at the deadline last season.. he didn't do anything for them the rest of the way anyway.

Ross 07-16-2001 11:30 PM

:lol:
I didn't expect to get that much of a rise, but I was successful anyway! I think the Isles should change their name to the Spoiled Money Brats after getting Peca and Ca$hin.

lmanchur. 07-17-2001 09:15 AM

Quote:

I didn't expect to get that much of a rise, but I was successful anyway! I think the Isles should change their name to the Spoiled Money Brats after getting Peca and Ca$hin.
Actually, they haven't even signed EITHER of them yet!!!!!! :)