Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Major League Baseball (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Halladay Throws Perfect Game (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=23169)

catman 05-30-2010 02:08 AM

Halladay Throws Perfect Game

At the Marlins. The Phillies won 1-0 on an unearned run. Josh Johnson took the loss for the Fish.
This is the 20th perfect game in baseball history, and the 2nd this month.
Congrats on a great performance.

NAR(cotics) 05-30-2010 05:05 AM

is it just me or is the mystique of the perfect game kinda dwindling after two in one month? Even the guys at ESPNNEWS weren't making that big of a deal about it, in fact I was flipping back and forth between the game and ESPN and I didn't find out till like the third half hour.

It's still rare, but does it mean as much to people when its happened TWICE in one MONTH?

doublee 06-01-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) (Post 301260)
It's still rare, but does it mean as much to people when its happened TWICE in one MONTH?

Sure it does. You are taking a statistical anomaly and trying to play it off as this is now the norm rather than an exception.

Marc 06-02-2010 10:37 AM

They were speculating on PTI that this could be a sign of the steroid era being over and pitching prevailing over power hitting. You all agree with this? I don't think two perfect games in a month means anything, it's probably just an anomoly, like doublee said.

doublee 06-02-2010 12:29 PM

I don't know. It is not like there were two or three perfect games prior to the late 80s and the 90s and it is not like it was a couple of scrub pitchers either. Halladay is arguably one of the two or three best in the game over the past five years and Ubaldo Jimenez has been the best pitcher in the game the first two months of the season.

I think it has more to do with baseball coming back around to good pitching being developed more than good pitching right now.

catman 06-02-2010 04:07 PM

I, too, am not sure that this is just the steroid era being over. Halladay is one of the best pitchers of this generation. Braden was very, very hot for a couple of weeks. Jimenez (although he didn't throw a perfect game) is certainly a very good pitcher also. His no-hitter was not a fluke.

doublee 06-02-2010 04:57 PM

Oops, that is right, I forgot Braden's was the other perfect game.

Brad O. 06-02-2010 07:41 PM

Two in a month doesn't worry me as much as three in a year (Buehrle). Two so close together could be a fluke, but add a third in recent history, and it does make me question whether perfect games are becoming de-valued a bit.

NAR(cotics) 06-03-2010 02:26 AM

make that 3 in a month and 4 in a year. Because DESPITE what it says on the boxscore Galaraga threw a perfect game against the Indians.