Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   The Lounge (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Sports Central Adopt-a-team? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=8652)

KevinBeane 11-06-2003 01:06 PM

SportsCentral Adopt-a-team?

What do you guys think of this idea?

A fews years ago, Sportcenter "adopted" some low-minor baseball team, and giave their score every night on the show.

I kind of dug it....what if we here on the boards adopted a team and we all followed rooted for them?

It would have to be a team that EVERYONE here has no opinion on and, preferably, had never heard of....that way, no one would already have a bias for or against them.

If it was a minor leaugue baseball team, it should be an independent team, because no Red Sox fan, for example, is going to want to follow and root for a Yankee farm club.

Or it could be another sport, such as soccer (Premiere League teams would be out, because there are a few posters already with a rooting interest in Man U and Leeds, among others), but we could pick a team in either another english-speaking country, or a country with enough english-language coverage that we could follow them, such as Italy or Argentina.

or...a semi-pro (american) football team. People don't tend to realize there are TONS of semi-pro leauges across the USA, and in Canada and Europe as well.

Or, we could adopt more than one team, so that, say, a fan of baseball-but-not-basketball still has a "team."

However we do it, the team, regardless of sport, would have to be selected COMPLETELY at random, be obscure enough that no one on theis board possibly already has a rooting interest for or against them, and yet not so obscure that we have a hard time getting their scores (and maybe some analysis) off the net.

What do you guys think? Would you be interested in something like this?

Heathen 11-06-2003 02:40 PM

Great idea Kev.

Here are my two sugestions:

Soccer - Sunderland AFC www.safc.co.uk This is my team, its where I'm from and we suck. ;)

Hockey - Medicine Hat Tigers - www.tigershockey.com Again my local WHL hockey team. We have produced some great NHL players: Scott Niedermier, lanny MacDonald, Chris Osgood, Mike Rathje, Jay Bouwmeester, Joffrey Lupul.. I could go on...

KevinBeane 11-06-2003 03:11 PM

Ah, but Heathen, you already have a rooting interest in them, so they're disqualified. ;-)

I'll pick the teams in truly random fashion...I want to guage the interest level before I do that.

Heathen 11-06-2003 07:18 PM

OK... sounds like a plan. As long as they don't come from Edmonton :)

mattyc 11-07-2003 05:52 AM

Sounds like an interesting idea. I have interest in a lot of sports so I guess it can't hurt to "adopt" another team to my list, providing it's not a team in a league/sport I already follow.

Make sense? :lol:

Marc 11-07-2003 07:56 PM

As long as it's not hockey or soccer... :P

Alex 11-08-2003 10:11 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me.

http://www.namelancastersteam.com/nameyourteam.cfm
How about the Lancaster Barnstormers. They are an expansion team in the independent Atlantic League for 2004. For those of you that live under a rock or something Lancaster is in Southern Pennsylvania near Philly and has a large community in and around of Amish people (I was down there during the summer. Fun place to visit if you ever get to chance.).

KevinBeane 11-08-2003 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alex
Sounds like a good idea to me.

http://www.namelancastersteam.com/nameyourteam.cfm
How about the Lancaster Barnstormers. They are an expansion team in the independent Atlantic League for 2004. For those of you that live under a rock or something Lancaster is in Southern Pennsylvania near Philly and has a large community in and around of Amish people (I was down there during the summer. Fun place to visit if you ever get to chance.).

No, since this was my idea, I reserve the right to pick the random team. :D

First, I decided that, whatever league said team plays in, we would "adopt" the team fourth-from-the-bottom alphabetically (by city/place, not nickname). Baseball's not in season, and the media coverage is scant for for those leagues in season in other countries.

Semi-pro football is usually played in the spring.

Marc asked for no soccer.

That leaves basketball.

Two minor league basketball leagues have good coverage, the NBDL and the CBA, and both are in season (well, the NBDL is about to start). I flipped a coin, and the NBDL won.

The fourth-from the bottom alphabetically?

I give you the official team of the SCMB....THE COLUMBUS (Georgia) RIVERDRAGONS!!!!!!!

They start their season in Alabama Friday, November 21st, against the Huntsville Flight. I don't know about you, but I HATE those Flight bastards!!! :P GO RIVERDOGS!!! BEAT THE FLIGHT!!!

There are some notables of the RiverDragons roster. Kevin Lyde of Temple, Terrence Morris of Maryland, Courtney James of Minnesota, and Derek Zimmerman of Mississippi State. They are coarched by former Washington Bullet midget Jeff Malone, and the assistant coach is former NBA journeyman Rob Werdann.

LET'S GO RIVERDRAGONS!!! They have a pretty bad-ass log too:

http://www.nba.com/nbdl/columbus/

mattyc 11-08-2003 11:40 AM

Nice pick Kevin. The NDBL has a bit of talent going about. Terrence Morris played with the Rockets.

Agree on the logo. :nod:

I'll be in this. Go RiverDragons!:bow::clap:

If one of the guys on this team gets into the NBA, do we get recognition? :lol:

KevinBeane 11-08-2003 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mattyc

If one of the guys on this team gets into the NBA, do we get recognition? :lol:

Hell yes! :)

Alex 11-09-2003 07:08 PM

Wow the NBDL teams have actual logos this year. I also agree about the logo, very sharp.

Go Riverdragons :D

Marc 11-09-2003 10:09 PM

Let's go Riverdragons! :banana:

Brad O. 11-14-2003 03:24 PM

Wow, that is a nice logo. Count me in on the Riverdragons bandwagon. Terence Morris was pretty solid at UMD, so Columbus has that going for them. I now have a favorite NBDL team! Are there team colors? It looks like they have a blue-and-orange thing going on, but I can't really tell.

When their season gets kicking, can we post about them in the NBA forum?

mattyc 11-16-2003 10:42 AM

Our Riverdragons lost a pre-season game 84-77, in overtime against Mississippi State. Draftee Terence Morris topscored for us with 15.

Also we have Auburnís Derrick Bird and Georgia's Ezra Williams in training camp.

:cool: :D

KevinBeane 11-16-2003 08:33 PM

Good heads up, Matty.

Not so good, losing to a mediocre SEC team. Hopefully the Dragons were just using it as sort of a practice to experiment, work out some set plays, etc.