Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Major League Baseball (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Who will Win the NL Wildcard? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=10487)

Habs Fan 09-19-2004 08:34 PM

Who will Win the NL Wildcard?

Who do you guys think will squeak into the NL playoffs using the wildcard. Personally I think it will be the Cubs.

I tossed in LA because they only have a 2.5 games lead over the surging Giants. The way Barry's hitting, I don't see them dying out of the NL west anytime soon.

catman 09-19-2004 10:50 PM

The Cubs can win the WC, but they have to win their games to do so. They cannot worry about what other teams do.

franky 09-19-2004 11:26 PM

It is one of the best races out there. I voted Chicago, but really, who knows. San Francisco is getting hot at the right time. I think that Florida and San Diego are a little too far behind and have too many teams to jump over to get there.

Habs Fan 09-19-2004 11:27 PM

What I find really weird about the Cubs catman is that they are getting some clutch pitching from Glendon Rusch and Maddux. No offense to Maddux, but I thought he'd be the weakest of all five starters on opening day. And Rusch has come in and made some impressive outings both as a spot starter and in relief as of late.

Losing Nomar was bad but I think the Cubs' bats can more than account for his absence.

Such be an exciting wild card race.

Alex 09-20-2004 06:09 PM

Florida. They have a well rounded line up and a killer pitching staff. Beckett and Burnett have been having a great stretch run.

doublee 09-20-2004 06:21 PM

I think FLA and San Diego are pretty much out of it. San Diego is four out and FLA is 5 out with roughly 15 to go. It will take the Cubs, Giants, and Astros going completely in the tank for one of those teams to get in and all three of those teams are playing good ball right now.

Heathen 09-20-2004 07:15 PM

I'm gonna say the Astos. I think they've got it together now and look great at the moment. However... its a crapshoot....

doublee 09-20-2004 07:22 PM

Big series between the Astros and Giants starting tomorrow could shake some things out:

Hernandez v. Tomko on Tuesday
Oswalt v. Lowry on Wednesday
Backe v. Schmidt on Thursday

Could make or break one of these team's seasons.

catman 09-21-2004 01:58 AM

I agree doublee. If one team sweeps the other, it will essentially end that team's season. It's being played in SF, so the Astros will have to really play well to win it.
The Cubs still have a chance to win the race by themselves, but they will have to win it on the field. Prior's start today was impressive and encouraging. Wood and Clement need to get it together.

Brandon 09-21-2004 09:26 AM

I'm going to say the winner of the Astros/Giants series this weekend. And I'm leaning towards Houston. I know a lot of people are saying the Cubs have the pitching and schedule advantage, but I just don't have a good feeling about their chances.

BaseballFan1 09-21-2004 02:27 PM

The Astros/Giants series starts today and ends on Thursday. I really believe this series will set the tone for the Wild Card race the rest of the season. Even though I do agree with Brandon about the Cubs having the pitching and schedule advantage, I really think the Cubs are going to come up short.

Habs Fan 09-21-2004 07:13 PM

As I've said before, I think it will be the Cubs. That said, I could also see the Giants pulling out of it as well. Whether you like Bonds or not ...... he's the kinda of player you NEVER bet against. I think his last four seasons have proven this.

I would like to see SD or FLA make it if not the Cubs for underdog reasons. Yet I think the way the Cubs and Giants are playing, it's hard to see either of these teams making ground.

Nate 09-22-2004 02:37 PM

I'd like to see the Cubs pull it out, but the way the Giants are playing right now, It could be them. If SanFran can creep up on LA and win the West, the Cubs could sneak in with the wild card.

Gohawks 09-22-2004 04:28 PM

I hope the cubs will but right now I would have to say the Giants.

#99 09-22-2004 05:33 PM

If you asked me a month ago, I would've said the Cubs in a heartbeat. But SF is on fire right now. I don't see them losing it.