Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The "Nanny State" Invades College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=23088)

Anthony 04-16-2010 07:03 AM

The "Nanny State" Invades College Football

If you value freedom of expression, you might want to watch something other than college football on Saturdays from now on:

NCAA bans eye black with messages, wedge blocks on kickoffs; toughens taunting penalty for 2011 - ESPN

doublee 04-16-2010 11:35 AM

The eye black thing is not that surprising. The NCAA is the same group that banned players wearing the head scarfs because of perceived gang affiliations.

NAR(cotics) 04-16-2010 03:01 PM

I'm simply getting tired of the loss of freedom of speech and expression in sports. Let the players express themselves. This is obnoxious.

CKFresh 04-22-2010 03:18 PM

Oh geez... Give me a break. They are scholarship athletes getting a free ride through college...

So sorry if you can no longer put bible messages on your face during the game...

What about my freedom?

Feel free to express yourself however you like... But college football is only trying to protect themselves. They have every right to do so

NAR(cotics) 04-25-2010 06:15 PM

I don't think this is fair to anyone, and I would say that it's the same in the real world, nobody should be hired on how they dress or what they wear to work, they should be free to express themselves how they want as long as they can get the job done better than anyone else that is really all that should ever matter in any job.

CKFresh 04-26-2010 03:03 PM

I don't really get your analogy. In a workplace, your dress often times effects your performace. If you are in sales, you probably shouldn't wear a Satanic shirt to work...

The eye black thing is just common sense. The NCAA doesn't want to be called out for hypocrisy. "If Tim Tebow can put Bible verses on his face, why can't I put rap lyrics?"

Just end it before a becomes a problem. Simple common sense.

doublee 04-26-2010 05:16 PM

What you should or should not be allowed to wear to work depends largely on what it is you do. If you deal with the public face-to-face on a daily basis then employers have every reason in the world to expect you to look professional. If you are sitting in a cube in some call center somewhere then yeah wear what you feel comfortable in. Companies are not going to hire some guy who dresses like a homeless bum to come in and work the floor as a salesperson.

themush 04-26-2010 07:46 PM

Why should playing NCAA football be fun? They make enough money....

NAR(cotics) 04-26-2010 08:21 PM

Technically, players who are in the NCAA don't make any money playing football...at least not legally.

Why can't people express themselves and be themselves, as long as they get the job done? That's what I am saying, I don't care what you wear if you PRODUCE. A football player doesn't need to wear a buisness suit, and act all serious to PRODUCE.

CKFresh 04-27-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) (Post 300898)
Technically, players who are in the NCAA don't make any money playing football...at least not legally.

Why can't people express themselves and be themselves, as long as they get the job done? That's what I am saying, I don't care what you wear if you PRODUCE. A football player doesn't need to wear a buisness suit, and act all serious to PRODUCE.

Ok, then where do you draw the line?

Should the NCAA allow a player to write racist remarks on his face? Should he be able to call for violence?

That's the thing, stop it before it becomes a problem. Again, common sense.

The NCAA is an organization. They have a reputation to uphold. They are entirely within their rights to protect their image.

themush 04-27-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NAR(cotics) (Post 300898)

:lol:

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\

1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

CKFresh 04-28-2010 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themush (Post 300915)

Main Entry: sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\

1 : a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a : a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b : the use or language of sarcasm

:thumbsup2:

Anthony 05-06-2010 04:14 AM

My issue is not so much with the Tim Tebow part as with the nullifying-touchdowns part.

If you don't want to get "taunted," play better!

Brad O. 05-21-2010 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 300974)
My issue is not so much with the Tim Tebow part as with the nullifying-touchdowns part.

If you don't want to get "taunted," play better!

If you want a game that doesn't consider sportsmanship part of the sport, I guess you're stuck with something else. Really, I don't think we need rules that protect anyone's right to be a jackass.

Taunting is ridiculous and ugly at any level, but I think arguing that kids should be subject to taunting is kind of deranged. These guys aren't pros; most of them are just playing because they love the game. I played for a nationally-ranked D-III team; we used to beat people by 40 points. None of those kids deserved to get shown up more than they already were. Losing sucks plenty without having it rubbed in your face.

Speech is typically protected only if it doesn't hurt anyone. We have laws against libel and slander, you're not allowed to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, etc. Expression that explicitly "taunts" someone else has no place in civilized society. People who get off on that kind of thing are sociopaths, literally: deriving pleasure from humiliating others is a sign of serious mental illness.

Anthony 05-21-2010 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad O. (Post 301192)
If you want a game that doesn't consider sportsmanship part of the sport, I guess you're stuck with something else. Really, I don't think we need rules that protect anyone's right to be a jackass.

Taunting is ridiculous and ugly at any level, but I think arguing that kids should be subject to taunting is kind of deranged. These guys aren't pros; most of them are just playing because they love the game. I played for a nationally-ranked D-III team; we used to beat people by 40 points. None of those kids deserved to get shown up more than they already were. Losing sucks plenty without having it rubbed in your face.

Speech is typically protected only if it doesn't hurt anyone. We have laws against libel and slander, you're not allowed to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, etc. Expression that explicitly "taunts" someone else has no place in civilized society. People who get off on that kind of thing are sociopaths, literally: deriving pleasure from humiliating others is a sign of serious mental illness.

But why stop there? Why not disqualify the entire team if they celebrate too much at the end of a game, and declare the other team the winner?

I'm all for disciplining "taunters" after the fact with fines, suspensions etc. But reversing the entire outcome of a play (or game) is asinine overkill - or, to trot out one of my favorite allegories, it's like William Tell using a cannon to shoot the apple off his son's head.

Some of us need to do what Mr. T. suggested in that Snickers commercial that aired in Britain but was kept off the air by the P.C. Thought Police on this side of the pond:

Get some nuts.