Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Basketball Association (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Western Conference Finals: (1) Sacramento Kings vs. (3) L.A. Lakers | SAC Leads 3-2 (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=3943)

Marc 05-14-2002 12:24 PM

Western Conference Finals: (1) Sacramento Kings vs. (3) L.A. Lakers

This is it as far as the NBA Championship - most agree winner takes all in this series. After the Kings rolled over the defenseless (pun intended) Mavs, they battle the fourth quarter crunch-time masters in the Lakers. Who will win this ultimate battle for all the glory?

air_canada 05-14-2002 07:23 PM

TASTY!

Lakers in 7.

lmanchur. 05-14-2002 08:01 PM

By my accounts, the Lakers haven't won their conference semi-final series against San Antonio just yet . . . . . . . . I'd say to count out ANY team at ANY point in a series in ANY sport is very disrespectful, even if it's the Los Angeles Lakers. These guys (Spurs) aren't professional 'ball players for nothing.

But again, that's just me. :rolleyes:

Spike 05-15-2002 05:36 AM

Well with the Spurs losing yet another lead against the Lakers tonight, it's official it's the Lakers vs. the Kings for the Western Conference title. This is the real N.B.A. Finals as far as I'm concerned.

Anyways, unlike, the Dallas Mavericks, I have great respect for the L.A. Lakers who have beaten us time and time again and beaten us down (like everyone else in the league).

I'll go with the Lakers in 6.

lmanchur. 05-15-2002 09:24 AM

Now that there's actually an opponent for the Sacramento Kings to play, I can download some info from Lee's Line, and it tells me that the Lakers will win this series in 6 games.

I OWN THIS 05-15-2002 10:48 AM

I agree I say Lakers in 6 as well. I would say Lakers in 5 but Shaq's injuries seem to be hindering him up ever so slightly. Doug Christie playing defense on Kobe will be the most interesting matchup in this series to me. I also can't wait to see the Mike Bibby vs. Fisher matchup. I actually hope this series is much closer than I predict.

Joey
Joey

Marc 05-15-2002 05:24 PM

I'm glad the Lakers closed this out last night as I had a mental breakdown for a moment and thought the series was closed out already. :D

I say Lakers in six, as well. The Kings are a good team who will win a few games, but the Lakers are just too good, especially mentally. If it comes down to emotions and technicals, the Lakers will win that matchup as they are so tough in that sense. The Kings also have a tendancy to let officiating hurt their game. We'll see.

#47 05-16-2002 08:35 PM

No different here either........Lakers in 6! I also expect Kobe to have one monster game, like a 45-50 point outing in there somewhere. But this series should be very entertaining.

mixmastermidori 05-17-2002 06:51 PM

I've been a Lakers fan since the '80s, and it's been exciting to see them play the last few years. However, I'm going to try to root for my hometown Kings this year because they deserve it. They're an exciting team to watch and they put out a great effort. I love their fast-paced passing game, and I'm tired of the Lakers playing sloppy ball until the 4th quarter. Their stats show that they aren't as strong this year, so I think it's the perfect opportunity for the underdog to swoop in.

Even though I'll be rooting for the Kings, I know that the Lakers will win because they've got the best defense and their bench produces - it's not just Shaq and Kobe who make the team. I still can't believe Horry wasn't 6th man.

Anyway, I'll be sad when the season is over since basketball is the only sport I really like watching. I didn't know what to do with myself yesterday after work since it seemed like the first day with no game on. :)

-Midori

Bran 05-18-2002 02:16 PM

Lakers in 4.

Bran 05-19-2002 01:00 AM

Game, set, Match. Lakers win 106-99.

Well Spike, I mentioned before in a previous post that the Kings dont have a heart to win a championship this year and game 1 proved it. Kings love to cry and complain about every call which makes me dislike them more and more. Regardless, Lakers are too much, you got the most dominate player in Shaq and the best all around player in Kobe. Kings are a good regular season team but nothing really in the playoffs.

air_canada 05-19-2002 11:15 AM

The Kings are going a little too far when trying to get calls. Technicals get called. Bad. Bad. :)

Marc 05-19-2002 12:57 PM

The Lakers couldn't be denied, they were shooting over 50% most of the game. When they play like that, it's over. You just have to hope they have a bad game and you can steal a few. At the bare minimum, you need all your guys healthy, which the Kings do not, and to make all "gimmes," which the Kings did not - I noticed how Webber and Divac missed countless layups.

air_canada 05-19-2002 04:12 PM

You're not supposed to miss layups, especially not in the pros. If it keeps on going that way, things will look pretty grim for the NoCal boys.

I OWN THIS 05-20-2002 11:19 AM

The Kings actually played it fairly close after getting absolutely no production out of their 3 position. With their starting 3 player Pega out with an injury, Turgulo came and hit as many shots and has many points as i did watching the game at home.... that being 0. If they want to be competitive in this series that have to get much better production out of the 3 spot.... they are making Rick Fox look like the NBA's Defensive MVP.

Joey