Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Will the Bolts dump LT? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=21612)

buckeyefan78 01-13-2009 08:24 PM

Will the Bolts dump LT?

Could Chargers Just Release Tomlinson?

12th January, 2009 - 5:45 pm

San Diego Union-Tribune - The Chargers have a difficult decision to make regarding LaDainian Tomlinson, especially with Darren Sproles entering free agency as a hot commodity.

Tomlinson had the fewest touches and fewest yards of his career in 2008 and is no longer the center of San Diego's offense.

"I don't know," Tomlinson said of his situation. "That's something I have no control over. I'm under contract. It's not like I'm going anywhere. Nobody said nothing to me."

Tomlinson, who will be 30 at the start of next season, has a salary-cap number of $8.8 million in 2009. They could trade him, or simply release him in what many believe would be a more respectful move.

"That's the great thing about being an athlete and playing this game," he said. "Everybody is going to have to answer to injuries at some point in time in their career. Then you have to ask yourself, 'Are you still the same player if you stay healthy?' I think for me that's the question I'm asking myself going into the offseason.

"I just got to make sure, whether with the Chargers or somebody else, that I'm ready to play football next year."

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wi...ase_tomlinson/

Anthony 01-14-2009 04:42 AM

After seeing the way Shaun Alexander's tenure in Seattle ended, I wouldn't rule this out by any means.

doublee 01-14-2009 09:05 AM

It would probably depend on what kind of cap hit they potentially take by releasing him. I keep seeing stuff about him being dealt but if the Chargers are dealing him because they think he is damaged goods who is going to be willing to pick up the $8 mil tab for him for next year.

I think he still has a little something left but he needs to get into an offense where he is getting roughly 250 to 300 touches a year as opposed to the upwards of 400 he gets a year.

Marc 01-15-2009 04:51 PM

Wouldn't shock me. They have to pay Sproles if they want to keep him. But can Sproles be an every-down back, or is he more of a change of pace? I think LT will have 2-3 more years of decent play as he slowly winds down. It is shocking how far these RBs fall from grace, though.

Anthony 01-16-2009 07:57 AM

Looks like the Chargers might soon be in the same leaky boat as the Eagles, insofar as the RB position is concerned.

doublee 01-16-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 293366)
Wouldn't shock me. They have to pay Sproles if they want to keep him. But can Sproles be an every-down back, or is he more of a change of pace? I think LT will have 2-3 more years of decent play as he slowly winds down. It is shocking how far these RBs fall from grace, though.

I am not so sure Sproles is going to get paid as much as some folks may think. He is still a bit of a gamble because of his size. Micheal Turner was a slam dunk since he has the size to go with the speed to be a NFL back.

Sproles is suited to be more of a 'hybrid' type of guy who you give 10-15 touches a game but you line him up all over the field in an effort to give him the ball in space where he can run by people.

The irony of it all is that Norv was set to cut him loose last summer until the guy they intended on using for kick returns got hurt and they needed to hang onto him for special teams.

Anthony 01-17-2009 08:42 AM

Still, getting Shawne Merriman back and with a favorable schedule, the Chargers should easily exceed their 8-8 record of 2008 next year and be in prime position to secure a first-round bye in the playoffs, as the AFC South, and even more so the AFC East, will be less fortunate schedule-wise.

boston_aloha 01-18-2009 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc (Post 293366)
It is shocking how far these RBs fall from grace, though.

You said it Marc...

I was never an LT fan (for obvious reason :D - I think he's a crybaby)... but anyway - personal feelings aside I think SD needs him. NFL Live made a good point how you really need a 1-2 punch in this league nowadays... I do not think Sproles can handle the load himself. I think it will be interesting to see what happens.

Anthony 01-21-2009 03:12 AM

I'm all for the 1-2 punch concept - but shouldn't the two be further apart in size than LT and Darren Sproles?

boston_aloha 01-21-2009 06:21 PM

Not always.... Sproles and LT seemed to have some success right?

Anthony 01-22-2009 02:55 AM

LT hasn't exactly torn it up against the 3-4.

boston_aloha 01-22-2009 03:04 AM

True... but how would you rate SD's running game on a whole? I would rate them better than a lot of teams out there.

Marc 01-27-2009 03:21 PM

A.J. Smith is trying to appease L.T. and called him: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3863651

I don't think you can write-off L.T. until he is healthy and given a chance. If he struggles, then it'll show he's washed up.

Anthony 01-29-2009 04:44 AM

If appeasing comes that natural to A.J. Smith, perhaps he should apply for a job in the Obama Administration!