Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Basketball Association (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Where are the Grizz moving to? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=677)

Jersey Devil 03-05-2001 11:15 PM

Down to two choices: New Orleans and Anaheim.

New Orleans: Mardi Gras, the Superbowl, great weather, NO BASKETBALL TEAM.

Anaheim: Disneyland, near lots of people, THE LAKERS, THE CLIPPERS, THE KINGS, THE WARRIORS, etc.

If the Grizz want to make a name for themselves, I suggest they go to New Orleans. If they go to Anaheim, I GUARANTEE that they get lost in the shuffle with the rest of the teams. It's not worth it. I hope they choose New Orleans.

What does everyone else think?

Marc 03-05-2001 11:35 PM

Are you sure those are the verified final locations? I heard something about my hometown, Louisville... but, I would agree New Orleans is best.

Nate 03-06-2001 05:27 PM

I agree that if those are the final two locations, New Orleans would be the best bet.

lmanchur. 03-06-2001 07:01 PM

I've been hearing Memphis and St. Louis are contenders as well.

Wedge231 03-06-2001 08:44 PM

Yeah, New Orleans seems like the best choice. There are no teams down there and they have nice weather too.

I also agree with the Anaheim thing. They should not make any more teams in Western USA. They have so many there that you can't even keep up. Same for almost all of the sports. Look at baseball.

iFroggy 03-06-2001 09:45 PM

Well, I'd have to agree with you guys. There is enough in the West already. New Orleans would be a good spot, there are not that many sports teams in this part of the south.

Jersey Devil 03-06-2001 11:50 PM

Where I got the info .....

I've heard anywhere from New Orleans to staying to Vancouver to even, yes, Louisville. Many on the list have dropped off, and according to ESPN, these are the two top choices now.

Marc 03-11-2001 04:29 PM

Let's not forget about Nashville as possible place. That Gaylord Entertainment Center is quite nice and would be fitting for a NBA franchise, probably. I just watched my Wildcats play there three straight days (and win all three).

Also, Jared Spinelli has written a great new article about this ongoing situation: Going Grizzly Hunting.

NickHammy 03-11-2001 11:22 PM

I think New Orleans woould be a great place for the Grizzlies to go. If they went, would they still be called "the Grizzlies"?

lmanchur. 03-12-2001 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by NickHammy
If they went, would they still be called "the Grizzlies"?
Probably not... tell me, was there ever a sports franchise in history that kept their name after moving to a new city? None that I am aware of.

Marc 03-12-2001 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SC-Lee

Probably not... tell me, was there ever a sports franchise in history that kept their name after moving to a new city? None that I am aware of.

Oh, believe me, there is! Two come to mind in the NFL: the Raiders and the Rams, who who both in Los Angeles before moving.

Nate 03-12-2001 05:06 PM

Was he talking about in NBA history, or in sports in general?

lmanchur. 03-12-2001 06:38 PM

I was talking all of sports -- not necessarily the NBA.

Dre2g 03-18-2001 12:15 PM

I'm really hoping that they move to New Orleans. One, it would be great for the city. Two, they don't have a Basketball team.

SC-Jared 03-21-2001 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SC-Lee

Don't get me started on that! Utah JAZZ (originally from New Orleans)....L.A. LAKERS (originally from Minnesota) just in the NBA alone. There isn't much jazz in Utah, nor lakes in L.A.