Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Butch Davis Blasts "Skittish" Garcia (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=10714)

Anthony 10-15-2004 05:11 AM

Butch Davis Blasts "Skittish" Garcia

One day after Cleveland's 34-23 loss at Pittsburgh, Browns head coach Butch Davis - who seems to have one foot planted permanently in his mouth and the other one inserted in his brain - characterized quarterback Jeff Garcia as having been "skittish" during the game. Then, on Wednesday, came Garcia's reaction.

What's next - Davis cutting Garcia because Garcia can't block?

And - as if almost on cue - the Browns host the Eagles next week.

Tarkus 10-15-2004 07:18 AM

Ya got me on that one, Anthony. Garcia sounds like he was just being defensive about a comment taken out of context & then both of them realized the point that was being made & laughed it off.

I agree with Davis cuz it's true & I believe Garcia admits to be exactly that...skittish. Understandably so but nonetheless, leaving the pocket too soon cuz of protection breakdowns. If Davis had attacked his heart or courage, I would have taken that differently but he didn't.

So I don't see how Davis was out of line at all.....

MountaineerDave 10-15-2004 01:23 PM

Garcia has always been skittish. The O line could give him seven to eight seconds, and unless the routes are completely uncovered, he'd find reason to scramble around and screw things up.

Dave

doublee 10-15-2004 07:37 PM

I'd be skittish too having to play chuck-and-duck behind that offensive line. I don't know how fair it is to label him as generally skittish as he never had much of a line in front of him in SF either. The guy took a pounding in San Fran and is taking one in Cleveland.

Habs Fan 10-15-2004 07:56 PM

Imagine how Lee Suggs must feel ??????? Davis is the only one skitish in Cleveland. Why the hell does he insist on making William Green the starter? The pattern seems to be Green for a carry or two followed by an onslaught of Suggs.

If Davis wasn't such an idiot, he'd deal Green, start Suggs and end all this nonsense.

doublee 10-16-2004 01:34 AM

I don't know does it really matter when Green has had only seven carries the last two games and Suggs has had 33? Suggs may not have started, but he still ended up with over 80% of the carries the last two weeks.

Habs Fan 10-16-2004 02:47 AM

Yes it does doublee ..... I mean he either is afraid of hurting Green's feelings or he has serious delusions about his backfield situation. He continues to talk of a great 1-2 punch in the backfield which would be fine ...... if he was coaching a more well-rounded team.

Let's face it .... aside from Garcia, Suggs, Green, and maybe Andre Davis ..... there's not alot of talent in the Dog Pound. Why not get rid of Green via a trade and get something that might help the team. I mean, Miami still doesn't have a starter at RB yet and they could do a lot worse than Green. Maybe they could work out a deal for a WR ....... by offering Green and a little more they might get Booker who, up until last week's game didn't even appear to be in the team's offensive game plans this season.

By moving Green, the organization would be sending a very cleaar message to the highly talented Suggs .... namely that he is the team's top RB.

Anthony 10-16-2004 03:38 AM

Interestingly, about a decade ago there was an NFL head coach who was behaving about the same way Davis is now. It was Bill Belichick - and we've all seen how that has turned out.