Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   B(C)S talk 2006 (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=15112)

The Pirate Bob 10-28-2006 07:28 PM

Can we all live with Ohio St vs West Virginia for the crown? Looks really likely that that will be the case. I think if W.V. should fall, Texas has the best shot at sneaking in the back door by the final week.

eric 10-29-2006 08:14 AM

You are assuming an OSU win over Michigan, for arguments sake let's say UM win a close one against OSU. How much pressure will there be on everyone for a rematch in the NC game?

buckeyefan78 10-29-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric (Post 221097)
You are assuming an OSU win over Michigan, for arguments sake let's say UM win a close one against OSU. How much pressure will there be on everyone for a rematch in the NC game?

If UM beats OSU and everyone else has one loss then I say teams who lost to the undefeated should get a rematch. So that would include OSU, Wisconsin, and Notre Dame (assuming all 3 finish with 1 loss).

Wisconsin-lost on the road to UM
OSU-lost at home to UM
ND-lost at home to UM

Wisconsin vs. Michigan in the NC Game. Losing at home is a disgrace and voids you of getting anything.

That's my logic. Any pressure for a rematch between OSU and UM would be from the national media, outsiders, and those within the rivalry (yes usually the youngsters) who don't understand or appreciate the tradition they are apart of. The loser of the OSU-UM game on Novemer 18th is a complete failure and doesn't deserve anything. Just my opinion...and I know it's not popular as we've been over this a million times.

#99 10-30-2006 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric (Post 221097)

Theoretically, there shouldn't be any seeing as how the loser of Mich/OSU won't be a conference champion. Personally, I think the current formula should mandate that the two reps in the championship game at least be conference champions. It was ridiculous when Oklahoma and Nebraska bucked this.

My top 5, just for the hell of it:
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. West Virginia
4. Auburn
5. Cal

suedon1970 10-31-2006 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 221114)
That's my logic. Any pressure for a rematch between OSU and UM would be from the national media, outsiders, and those within the rivalry (yes usually the youngsters) who don't understand or appreciate the tradition they are apart of. The loser of the OSU-UM game on Novemer 18th is a complete failure and doesn't deserve anything. Just my opinion...and I know it's not popular as we've been over this a million times.

I agree:D - I am literally praying for the title game to feature the winner of the OSU/Michigan game and WVU (if the teams run the table and are undefeated)

Alex 10-31-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #99 (Post 221222)
Theoretically, there shouldn't be any seeing as how the loser of Mich/OSU won't be a conference champion. Personally, I think the current formula should mandate that the two reps in the championship game at least be conference champions. It was ridiculous when Oklahoma and Nebraska bucked this.

My top 5, just for the hell of it:
1. Ohio State
2. Michigan
3. West Virginia
4. Auburn
5. Cal

I don't see Auburn as a Top 5 team. Sure, they beat Florida but they also got beaten by 17 at home by Arkansas. It wasn't one of those games that was close throughout and the underdog pulled it out. Arkansas flat out manhandled them. Granted, I guess I can't really say much since I have Arkansas at #5 and USC destroyed them but if the Hawgs and Trojans mets again, I bet the result would be different. They didn't have McFadden in that game and Mustain had not yet emerged as the starter.

Cal is definitely a better team than the one that got crushed by Tennessee on opening weekend but again, I think they need to beat USC before they climb that high. The Pac-10 looks pretty weak with USC barely escaping for a couple of weeks and then it finally catching up to them. Oregon should have three losses if the refs not handed them the Oklahoma game.

buckeyefan78 10-31-2006 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suedon1970 (Post 221324)
I agree:D - I am literally praying for the title game to feature the winner of the OSU/Michigan game and WVU (if the teams run the table and are undefeated)

I really don't know what I want to happen. I definitely don't want OSU to play Michigan again but I love how when things go crazy the "playoff people" start to talk about how we need one when most of them were high on the BCS in the beginning. There is no solution but the old way. Just live with it.

If there are two undefeateds, let 'em play. I'm still rooting against WVU, Louisville, and Rutgers though. I do want the winner of the UM/OSU game to play Florida or Auburn cuz we'll destroy 'em. :thumbup:

Then Sports Illustrated will write another article in Febuary calling the SEC the best conference again. :lol:

Alex...

Do we ever agree on anything? :D

I currently have the Pac Ten as the strongest conference in the nation...and by a decent margin.

I'm also not high on the "if and woulda" game with Arkansas, Oregon, and whoever else. Work harder I say...as always. :thumbup:

HibachiDG 10-31-2006 04:42 PM

Buckeye, haven't you mentioned defensive football being something you really like a whole lot in the game of football?

I thought the answer to that would be a yes, but I mean, clearly that is not the case if you think the weakest defensive conference in the Nation is the strongest conference as a whole. Guess I was just mistaken.

Alex 10-31-2006 06:23 PM

I just don't see the strength of the Pac-10. They have a couple of good teams but they don't have a great team. Southern Cal has been playing with fire for a month and finally got burned, Cal has looked good but considering their one big win was Oregon, who have since been beaten handily by Washington State, isn't spectacular. I think if Cal is going to get a "free pass" for the Tennessee game, Arkansas deserves one for USC.

Washington State has been surprisingly good. Only losses are Auburn, Southern Cal and Cal. Neck and neck with Penn State for best three-loss team IMO. The Cougars have three winnable games left (Arizona, Arizona State and Washington) and could finish as another "good" team for the Pac-10.

Oregon State could be another surprise. The win over USC could be a spring board to a strong finish, possibly even 10-3 since they close the season in Hawaii. Their remaining schedule is manageable with the Civil War game with Oregon being the toughest challenge left. Good news there is the game is in Corvallis.

Arizona State has been disappointing. UCLA is in a transition year. Washington is on the rise but struggling of late. Arizona has yet to have a break out game, blowing a chance they had after beating BYU. Stanford is just plain bad. Walt Harris should stand up. I think his chair is starting to burn.

Maybe weak was a poor word choice. I just don't think top to bottom it's a very strong league. Cal and Southern Cal are the class of the league. Oregon State and Washington State look good but they seem like the type of teams that could just as easily stub their toes against a sorry opponent. Oregon could be on the verge of collapse after that loss to Wazzou. Or they might rebound nicely. The rest of the league is definitely weak.

#99 11-02-2006 05:11 PM

I think the Pac 10 compares favorably with just about every other conference in college football. Alex has already outlined the season Washington State has been having and, in my opinion, the quote marks around "good" should be removed. Cougars are a quality squad, this year. Oregon rounds out that top four of "good teams." The Big 12 definitely can't boast as good a foursome and you'd have trouble separating anyone from the pack in the ACC. The Big East, for all the attention it's received, still doesn't look like a "major" football conference, though I'm sure WV and L'ville would give anyone in the country a tough game. So that leaves us with the Big Ten -- whose top four of Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Iowa (even with the Indiana loss on their record) as the "good teams" of that conference -- and the SEC, featuring Auburn, Arkansas, Florida, Tennessee, and LSU. Throw in Georgia, too, even though they've been disappointing this year. As far as quality goes, the cream of the Pac Ten is certainly in the discussion. UCLA and Washington are not bad teams and Oregon State, despite the blowout loss to Boise, has shown what they're capable of.

I hate to pull out the "east coast bias" card, but it seems like year-in, year-out, the Pac Ten gets short-changed by the national media. No offense to the Pac Ten nay-sayers in this thread, but I see you both take up residence in the Northeast. It's a matter of exposure and you need look no further than at the other threads in the college football section, here, to see how much attention a conference like the Big 10 gets. Aside from OSU and Michigan, it's nothing to write home about -- no different than anyone other conference if you exclude their top two teams.

Alex 11-02-2006 05:25 PM

"Good" meant that that's the category they fall under. Washington State is a good team.

HibachiDG 11-02-2006 05:39 PM

Quote:

I hate to pull out the "east coast bias" card, but it seems like year-in, year-out, the Pac Ten gets short-changed by the national media. No offense to the Pac Ten nay-sayers in this thread, but I see you both take up residence in the Northeast.
If you asked me to rank the Pac Ten and Big Ten, though, I'm going to put the Pac Ten on top. I just don't think either Conference is anywhere near the SEC. The Pac Ten in my mind is the number 2 conference, I just don't think they're good enough defensively to be as good a Conference as the SEC.

buckeyefan78 11-02-2006 05:53 PM

Well...I live in Ohio and think the Pac Ten is the best conference in football...by far. No on can touch their SOS and willingness to travel out of conference (remember...the Pac Ten is the only BCS Conference that doesn't overlap another BCS Conference... geographically speaking).

By BCS Rankings...

USC over Florida
Cal over Auburn
Tennessee = Oregon
Washington State = Arkansas
Oregon State over LSU
Arizona State over Georgia
UCLA = Alabama
Washington = South Carolina
Kentucky over Arizona
Vanderbilt over Stanford

The SEC only gets the last two IMO. They do have 2 more squads too.

#99 11-02-2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 221606)
"Good" meant that that's the category they fall under. Washington State is a good team.

My bad. I misinterpreted. But yes, they're a good team.

eric 11-03-2006 10:16 AM

Well it won't be WVU in the title game. And does anybody think that Rutgers or Louisville could compete well against a Michigan or Ohio State. Sooner or later the fact that Pat White is not a great passer was going to catch up with WVU.