Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Saban Formally Offered 'Phins Job (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=11336)

doublee 12-22-2004 07:30 PM

Saban Formally Offered 'Phins Job

ESPN is reporting that Nick Saban has formally been offered the Dolphins job. No surprise here, I think he takes the job as it sounds as though Miami is willing to give him the control he desires to accept the job. Is anyone surprised that Art Shell did not get an offer?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=1952037

MaddEnemy 12-22-2004 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I don't know.

I think he should stay with LSU.

I hate seeing good coaches from the NCAA or NFL change to the other side when things are going well for them where they are.

MountaineerDave 12-22-2004 07:46 PM

As a Fins hater, I hope all the football worst for this franchise.

Saban hasn't the resume to warrant being given the keys to the castle.

Only lazy owners hire control-freaks today. Unless said control-freaks are Bill Belichick.

Dumb move for the Fins, imo. Great move for millionaire Saban, if he accepts.

Dave

doublee 12-22-2004 07:58 PM

Reid and Belichick seem to be the only two guys in the league who can handle the total control thing and still consistently field winning teams.

MountaineerDave 12-22-2004 08:08 PM

Sherman might also be an example of control-freak success, but it's hard to figure why, since he's in a terrible division that seems to only get worse.

Makes his job easier than it would be anywhere else, I think. (NFC West excepted, of course.)

Dave

Marc 12-22-2004 10:03 PM

I hope Jim Bates gets it. According to reports, the players love him and when he goes in for the interview, all he has to do is put down the tape of the Patriots game on the desk. I hope Saban can stay in the SEC -- so many college coaches fall in the pros, it's rarely worth the risk.

doublee 12-22-2004 11:06 PM

Unfortunately, coaches who are beloved by the players tend to have problems winning games. The players in Cleveland love Terry Robiskie yet they somehow seem to be playing worse since Butch Davis left.

Ross 12-23-2004 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by doublee
The players in Cleveland love Terry Robiskie yet they somehow seem to be playing worse since Butch Davis left.
If they are playing like that for a coach that they like, imagine how bad they might be if they don't like the coach.

MaddEnemy 12-23-2004 01:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Orange Man
If they are playing like that for a coach that they like, imagine how bad they might be if they don't like the coach.
You mean like the Cowboys?

They are all stupid!

Anthony 12-23-2004 02:39 AM

Of course they made the Dolphins go through the ridiculous charade of interviewing Art Shell, who has been out of the game for how many years now?

You can't force this thing, especially on a team that is coming off the kind of season Miami is having. The best chance for a "minority" candidate to be hired would be, say, if a coach decides to step down from a contending team (for example, if Mike Shanahan has had enough in Denver and wants to move on). Expecting a last-place team to hire a complete unknown and thereby endure several more losing seasons (not to mention half-empty stadiums) in the name of "social justice" simply isn't realistic, and isn't fair to the fans of the team involved.

Brad O. 12-23-2004 04:09 AM

Art Shell

Art Shell's last year coaching the Raiders was 1994, so it would have been 10 years out of coaching if the Dolphins had offered him the position.

Of course, Dick Vermeil was out for 14 seasons, and the time off doesn't seem to have bothered him. Paul Brown was out of pro football for five seasons before returning to coach the expansion Bengals to the playoffs in their third season. Bill Parcells takes a couple years off every few seasons. So did George Halas. Ted Marchibroda was successful as coach of the Colts after a 12-year layoff.

I think Shell would be a good hire, and the Rooney Rule will have owners considering him. It's shameful that no one hired him eight or nine years ago. Shell was 56-41 in LA, with three playoff appearances, including an AFC Championship Game. In the three years before Shell coached there, the team was 20-27 (no playoffs). In the three years after Shell was fired, the Raiders went 19-29 (no playoffs). By almost any measure, he was a very successful coach.

That said, no one made the Dolphins interview Shell. If the Dolphins wanted to 'play' the process, they easily could have requested interviews with any number of highly-regarded minorities, including but not limited to Romeo Crennel and Ted Cotrell.

It would be ridiculous to invite a high-profile coach -- with a successful résumé and a bust in Canton -- to participate in a process you view as a sham. If you're just going along to play by the rules, you interview someone like Cotrell.

I'd also like to note on a general level that I'm appalled by Anthony's attitude regarding the hiring of minorities to positions of power in the NFL.

===

As an addendum for those who care, here's my response to Anthony's troubling suggestion that struggling teams only hire head coaches with previous experience: it's a brief (and thus incomplete) list of successful "complete unknowns" who took over losing teams:
* Joe Gibbs took over 6-10 Washington, which hadn't been to the playoffs for four years.
* Bill Walsh took over 2-14 San Francisco, which hadn't been to the playoffs for six years.
* George Allen took over the 4-10 Rams, who hadn't been to the playoffs in ten years.
* Dick Vermeil took over 4-10 Philadelphia, which hadn't been to the playoffs for 15 years.
* Chuck Noll took over 2-11-1 Pittsburgh, which hadn't been to the playoffs for 21 years.

That was the first NFL head coaching job for each of the five men I named, all of whom except Vermeil -- not eligible yet -- are in the Hall of Fame.

It's also worth pointing out that Saban is "a complete unknown". Hmm... no problems with Saban, but interviewing Shell is a "ridiculous charade"? And for a last-place team to hire a minority without previous experience "isn't fair to the fans"?

digital7 12-26-2004 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MountaineerDave
As a Fins hater, I hope all the football worst for this franchise.

Saban hasn't the resume to warrant being given the keys to the castle.

Only lazy owners hire control-freaks today. Unless said control-freaks are Bill Belichick.

Dumb move for the Fins, imo. Great move for millionaire Saban, if he accepts.

Dave

:sleepy: