Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Major League Baseball (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The World Series?? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=10526)

canucks_bertuzz 09-24-2004 05:55 PM

The World Series??

HEY

With the regular season coming to a close, I would like to know who you think will win the World Series? I think that it will be the Dodgers!!
(Edited to lower case per Heathen's request)

Heathen 09-24-2004 06:03 PM

Please edit this post to lower case.

Thanks.

BaseballFan1 09-24-2004 06:04 PM

It will be the Cards vs. the Yanks (hopefully) in the WS. The Cards might win the WS.

Alex 09-24-2004 08:09 PM

Yankees vs Cubs. The Cardinals need to avoid the Cubs or the Marlins. They may have a great offense but truth be told, they're pitching can't match up with staffs that Chicago and Florida have.

doublee 09-24-2004 08:38 PM

Well, I'd say the Cards have nothing to worry about with the Marlins as they are now 7 games out and as far as the Cubs go their bullpen is not scaring anybody.

catman 09-25-2004 12:09 AM

Any of the following teams can make it:
Yankees, Red Sox, Twins, Rangers (I think they will win the AL West), Atlanta, St. Louis, Chicago Cubs, or Giants (the Dodgers won't make it this season).
I like the Cardinals vs. Red Sox this season, but I'd enjoy seeing the Twins/Cardinals again.

Brandon 09-25-2004 03:21 AM

I really don't know yet. I'd like to see who gets in it and it be closer to postseason before I make my decision.

Of course, I'd like to see my Braves there. But that's a little biased... :D

Kornbix 09-26-2004 11:46 AM

Yankees vs Braves or Cardinals and I really hope the Braves but if the Cardianls get there then they might win it. But if the Braves get there I'll be in a state of deliroum (or delirous?)

BaseballFan1 09-27-2004 03:14 PM

"Yankees vs Cubs. The Cardinals need to avoid the Cubs or the Marlins. They may have a great offense but truth be told, they're pitching can't match up with staffs that Chicago and Florida have."
-Alex

Why Alex? The Cubs have struggled this season and just because they have acquired Nomar doesn't mean they are the favorites. Even if the Cubs and Cardinals were to face each other in the NLCS, the Cubs bullpen wouldn't be all that good and the Cubs offense can't rely on the HR ball. The Cards offense is better than the Cubs. The Marlins are eliminated from postseason.

Alex 09-27-2004 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BaseballFan1
"Yankees vs Cubs. The Cardinals need to avoid the Cubs or the Marlins. They may have a great offense but truth be told, they're pitching can't match up with staffs that Chicago and Florida have."
-Alex

Why Alex? The Cubs have struggled this season and just because they have acquired Nomar doesn't mean they are the favorites. Even if the Cubs and Cardinals were to face each other in the NLCS, the Cubs bullpen wouldn't be all that good and the Cubs offense can't rely on the HR ball. The Cards offense is better than the Cubs. The Marlins are eliminated from postseason.

I'm sure I'm going to catch a lot of flak for this but here goes- Remember the 2001 Seattle Mariners? They had 116 wins and a damned good offense and solid starting pitching. The Mariners dispatched the White Sox and then got beat by the Yankees in the ALCS, a team with great starting pitching. The 2004 Cardinals remind me of them. A tremendous regular season team that will lose when it matters most. The Cubs are similar to the 2001 Yankees only the Cubs bullpen is worse but their starting pitching is better.

There, I said it. Begin the bashing.:D

BaseballFan1 09-27-2004 05:55 PM

You really can't compare them.

Seattle Mariners stats for 2001

St. Louis Cards stats for 2004

Who is better (positional wise)?

C- Dan Wilson or Mike Matheny (Mike Matheny, good defensive catcher and can call a good game)
1B- John Olerud or Albert Pujols (Normally I would go with Olerud because he can still hit the ball but in this case I have to go with Pujols)
2B- Bret Boone or Tony Womack (Toss-up because Boone can be a good bat but he is okay defensively and Womack may not have power but he his a good #1 or #2 hitter)
SS- Carlos Gullien or Edgar Renteria (Edgar Renteria)
3B- David Bell or Scott Rolen (Scott Rolen)
RF- Ichiro or Larry Walker (Ichiro)
CF- Mike Cameron or Jim Edmonds (Jim Edmonds)
LF- Al Martin or Reggie Sanders (Reggie Sanders)

Starting Pitching-
Freddy Garcia or Matt Morris (Garcia)
Jamie Moyer or Woody Williams (Toss-up)
Aaron Sele or Chris Carpenter (Toss-up)
Paul Abbott or Jeff Suppan (Suppan because Abbott isn't that great of a pitcher)
John Halama/Joel Pineiro or Jason Marquis (Marquis because he has been clutch for this pitching staff this season)

The only thing that I've noticed that might be better.... The 2001 M's have a better bullpen than the Cards but Izzy is the better closer.