Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Over Rated players (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=10911)

bombers fan 11-05-2004 11:49 AM

Over Rated players

Who do you guys think is the most overrated player in the Nfl

Im goin with Mike Vick and im sure many people will disagree with me

Yes he can run and has a cannon but he dosent help his team as a true Qb. He jus runs around and gives us a bunch of top 10 spotscenter plays. Hes a great athlete but in my opinoin there are a whole lotta other qbs in da league that i would take over him.

Anthony 11-06-2004 03:28 AM

Quote:

Im goin with Mike Vick and im sure many people will disagree with me

Not me - I'm completely in your corner; Vick is like totally overrated! If he's such a great quarterback, then why are the Falcons 29th in the league in passing?

As Clara Peller famously asked, where's the beef?

Tarkus 11-06-2004 03:41 AM

I'm on board with this as well. Once his legs go or he has a serious injury from running, the hype will fall to Earth along with his body....

This isn't a great QB in the making....

Alex 11-06-2004 07:23 AM

Looks like I'm fourth to the "Vick is Overrated" party. I don't value running quarterbacks in the least unless you're a college program running the option or wishbone. They leave themselves as sitting ducks in the open field if they take off and are much more prone to injures than pocket passers.

I believe I said it on here previously, but if Mora really wanted to run the West Coast offense he'd trade Vick for some 1st rounders or a quality running back like Shaun Alexander and put Matt Schaub in at QB. Schaub is much more suited to play in the West Coast offense than Vick is. One of the many reasons I'm disappointed the Packers didn't use one of their 3rd rounders on him. Instead the Pack got a project with big potential in CB Joey Thomas, a potential bust in DT Donnell Washington and P B.J. Sander who isn't even good enough to play right now and takes up a roster spot.

Kornbix 11-06-2004 11:45 AM

Once Vick learns that Offense, he will be unstoppable. I mean folks he's learning a completely new offense do you expect him to be the man as soon as he steps foot on that feild? But hey were 6-2 that's all that matters.
And who are you going to get for Vick? We might as well trade off Dunn and Duckett so we won't have the damn 2 RB controversy anymore

Anyways...overrated player....

G-MenNMetsfan 11-06-2004 12:32 PM

Let's stay with the QB feel here.

Culpepper is overrated. We saw that last week. Without Randy Moss, he is an average QB. With him, he's great. I think the guy is talented and everything, you have to be to play in the NFL. I said it for the last few years. He's not that good.

Anthony 11-07-2004 04:13 AM

Because of his lack of size (he's listed at 6'0" and in the real world is probably only 5'10 1/2") Vick will always get a lot of passes batted down, plus he will always be an injury time-bomb ready to explode - and no amount of familiarity with the West Coast Offense (assuming he ever truly masters it) will ever change either of those facts.

It turns out that the Chargers did the right thing after all - proof that even a stopped clock provides the correct time twice every day.

Tarkus 11-08-2004 01:30 PM

& yet another example of why Vicks career probably won't be that long....

bombers fan 11-08-2004 02:41 PM

wow im suprised ppl acctually agreed with me i always get called crazy 4 sayin vicks overrated

Tarkus 11-08-2004 02:49 PM

I think anyone who doesn't think that are in awe of his athleticism. He is a tremendously gifted athlete. It's just not translating as well to the QB position.

Another one to add to the list of hits that will eventually put this guy in traction....

Scarboy 11-12-2004 11:09 PM

I can't believe so many people think vick is overrated i get called stupid and everything else for saying that i guess there are some other people that do think like me ........But back to the question there are a lot of overated playes but yes michael vick stands out in front of everyone else....yes he can run but he can't throw look at what the Buc's did to him last year in BOTH games....they have showed everyone that when you stop him from running he can't beat you with his arm....and to add one more thing when his legs are gone you will see michael vick standing on the sidelines being a BACK-UP i give it 3-4 years top

Pimpbot 11-14-2004 12:38 PM

I've been on record for a long time that Vick is the most over hyped/over rated player in the NFL for the last 3 years.

ESP0704 11-14-2004 11:22 PM

I think Vick might not turn out to be The Next Big Thing that so many are hyping him to be, but he'll do better than OK.

As for overrated, pick a running back, any running back. Since Tomlinson, Holmes and Portis are getting the most ink and air time, they're the most overrated. Running backs, IMO, are little more than cogs. Were I running a team, and I've said this before, I'd get a guy out of the CFL or Arenaball and pay him the league minimum so I could use the savings to buy a really good offensive line.

G-MenNMetsfan 11-22-2004 11:14 PM

All I know is that if you've seen this gy play live, he would not be saying he is overrated. I was at the Giants game on Sunday. I have never seen a player move as fast as him in my life. And he broke his leg too.

gconnhokiebird 11-23-2004 12:04 AM

Well i for one say he's not overrated. No one can make a play at anytime of the game like he can, and for that, he's great. The stats arn't their, but the Falcons are getting it done. They have a pretty balanced offense, I agree with Kornbix, when he learns the system he'll be unstopable, the thing is I think he's in the wrong system.