Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Attorney Issue (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=16654)

CKFresh 03-20-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Does that mean attorneys in question were dismissed illegally? No. We've already explained that to you...several times in fact.
Did I say it was illegal?

catman 03-20-2007 12:21 PM

No, but your criticism of it as a "political ploy" makes it sound as though you do not approve.
Again, Mr. Clinton fired all of the prosecutors, regardless of their abilities or political affiliations. President Bush has had 8 removed that he did not approve of. Call it what you want, but it looks like a "performance" issue to me.

CKFresh 03-20-2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catman (Post 241219)
No, but your criticism of it as a "political ploy" makes it sound as though you do not approve.
Again, Mr. Clinton fired all of the prosecutors, regardless of their abilities or political affiliations. President Bush has had 8 removed that he did not approve of. Call it what you want, but it looks like a "performance" issue to me.

It may look like that, but the Attorney General admits it was based on political reasons and not performance. So it may look like that, but your opinion is wrong. The emails they have released specifically say, "people loyal to the president," and things about not questioning his policies.

Catman, I can't believe you think it is right to have a group of government officials who NEVER question the president's policies. Surely you believe a diverse group of opinions is a good thing.

IntheNet 03-20-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 241223)
Catman, I can't believe you think it is right to have a group of government officials who NEVER question the president's policies.

THEY ARE POLITICAL APPOINTEES! Have you missed that fact completely?

catman 03-20-2007 12:49 PM

Surely it is Fresh, but I'm comparing the performance-based firings here with the politically based firings Mr. Clinton did.
I had no problem with Mr. Clinton wanting "his" people in place, but the media is being ridiculous in their criticism of Bush's firings of these 8 attorneys.
Also, I have not said I disapprove of diverse opinions, but look at the example of Mr. Clinton's group. He did not keep many "hold-overs" from previous administrations. He did not approve of "diverse" opinions, it appears. And you still back him?

CKFresh 03-20-2007 12:50 PM

Quote:

performance-based firings
Have you read anything about this catman? GONZALES HAS ADMITTED THAT THESE WERE POLITICALLY BASED, not PERFORMANCE.

catman 03-20-2007 12:57 PM

They would not have happened unless the performance was not up to standards.
Again, Mr. Clinton fired all of the attorneys and you still back him? His firings were completely politically based, Fresh. Don't kid yourself.
Sorry, but you are wrong here.

CKFresh 03-20-2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catman (Post 241233)
They would not have happened unless the performance was not up to standards.
Again, Mr. Clinton fired all of the attorneys and you still back him? His firings were completely politically based, Fresh. Don't kid yourself.
Sorry, but you are wrong here.

So do you just ignore the truth of the matter. Please read an article about this story. THEY WERE ONLY POLITICAL. THAT IS WHY GONZALES IS APOLOGIZING!

IntheNet 03-20-2007 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catman (Post 241233)
His firings were completely politically based, Fresh. Don't kid yourself.Sorry, but you are wrong here.

catman... Let him go... he'll keep digging... he hasn't yet learned the hole theory!

Bush is not going to pull his support of the Attorney General nor should he... the Dems are on a fishing expedition...

catman 03-20-2007 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 241235)
So do you just ignore the truth of the matter. Please read an article about this story. THEY WERE ONLY POLITICAL. THAT IS WHY GONZALES IS APOLOGIZING!

Then where is the apology from Mr. Clinton? Sorry Fresh, but these firings would not have happened had the attorneys done their jobs properly. They brought their politics into the courtroom with them and were removed from their positions. They are whining like little school-children about it. Is it because they aren't good enough to get on with a decent law firm? Or is it because they just want to be on TV?
Either way, if they were decent lawyers, they would get a position in which they would make far more money than they were as US Attorneys. The Government doesn't pay as much as private practice can.

CKFresh 03-20-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

the Dems are on a fishing expedition
You sure it is just the Dems?

The Senate Votes OVERWHELMINGLY Against Gonzales

With a 94-2 vote, the Senate passed a bill that canceled a Justice Department-authored provision in the Patriot Act that had allowed the attorney general to appoint U.S. attorneys without Senate confirmation.

Even your own party is on my side of this issue.

I expect this from IntheNet. But catman, I thought you were more objective. I hope you just haven't read much about this situation, because nearly everybody (including most republicans) agree with me...

CKFresh 03-20-2007 01:15 PM

Quote:

but these firings would not have happened had the attorneys done their jobs properly.
Again, catman, you obviously haven't read anything about this situation. THE FIRINGS HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH PERFORMANCE. No one is denying this fact, not Bush, not Gonzales. Please stop, read the articles, and then come back and apologize.

catman 03-20-2007 01:22 PM

Fresh, I have read about the situation, which is why I say the firings were performance based. Had the attorneys been doing a reasonable job, they would be in their cushy offices doing whatever they were going to do. Here is a story about John McKay, one of the attorneys fired. His "findings" allowed an illegal election victory for a Democrat to the Washington Governor's position: http://powerlineblog.com/archives/017061.php
His firing was completely performance based, as were the others.
Again, where is the apology from Mr. Clinton for firing all 93 US Attorneys for strictly political reasons? He did most of them a favor, allowing them to get back into the private sector, where they are likely making 5-10 times what they made as US Attorneys. If money is what they wanted, they surely got it and can thank Mr. Clinton for it.

CKFresh 03-20-2007 01:25 PM

Hmmm, well the Senate never voted 94-2 against Janet Reno and her actions against the attorneys. YOu are completely forgetting the fact that the majority of republicans are AGAINST the actions of the Attorney Generals office. Does that mean nothing to you? Do you just ignore these facts.

CKFresh 03-20-2007 01:54 PM

And the crowd goes silent...

Seriously, someone explain, if nothing was done wrong, why are the majority of republican senators voting against Gonzales?