Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   The Lounge (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Are you an MP3 downloader? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=3358)

Marc 03-02-2002 10:48 PM

Are you an MP3 downloader?

As I was downloading the new Morpheus Preview Edition, I wondered what you all use to download music online, if at all. So, what do you use? Are you satisfied? Were you ever a Napster use and when did you begin downloading? How many songs do you have? And finally, if you are opposed to downloading music, why?

As you can tell, I use Morpheus - since getting recommended it by a friend. Prior to that, I used Napigator to connect to Gnutella servers using the old Napster software. And I used plain, old Napster at the beginning. Boy, I miss those good, old days of Napster.

I download a few songs a week, whenever I want a song, really. I have about 400 MP3s, ~1.92 GB of music. What about yourself?

Brandon 03-02-2002 11:04 PM

I use both Morpheus and WinMX now. However, I only use WinMX when Morpheus is down or I can't find a song. At one point I used iMesh, didn't like it though. I'm a big fan of Morpheus after moving to it from Napster.

Currently I have 286 songs totaling just under 1 GB of songs. This is after losing my collection of 100 songs on my older computer that broke down. Of course, this computer has a CD burner, so I use the MP3's a bit more on this computer. :D

Bucknut 03-02-2002 11:30 PM

I use Audiogalaxy....it's pretty good, I like it better than Napster because if you get disconnected or if the person your downloading from get disconnected you start where you left off at.

NickHammy 03-02-2002 11:55 PM

I use Morpheus, but I don't like the new one. I prefer the old version, but now it won't connect w/ the server.

JagZone 03-03-2002 12:17 AM

I'm using KaZaa but ever since the new version came out I get program errors in IE when I open KaZaa. It also finished the download from where it got disconnected.

As for files I have about 300 right now, don't know the amount of space. I had about another 200 on my old computer until I lost hte hard drive.

I too miss good old Napster, it was so easy to use. I also used LimeWire, Morpheous, and Aimster in the past Aimster was by far the worse. Now that I hear Morpheus has a new version I might go back to them. KaZaa wants to do way too much more than just download stuff

JagZone 03-03-2002 12:37 AM

This new Morpheus preview edition, I don't like this stuff where you can limit your bandwidth. I never can use my cable modem to its capacity since everyone limits their upload bandwidth now. You can't find a song and download it in seconds like you could with napster.

SC-Jared 03-03-2002 01:12 PM

I use Aimster. It is great. Just like Napster.

Marc 03-03-2002 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JagZone
This new Morpheus preview edition, I don't like this stuff where you can limit your bandwidth. I never can use my cable modem to its capacity since everyone limits their upload bandwidth now. You can't find a song and download it in seconds like you could with napster.
Ugh, I know what you mean. I downloaded the Preview Edition last night and like my experiences with Gnutella earlier, I get so many slow downloads or cancelled downloads. It makes it much more frustrating than it used to be with Morpheus.

lmanchur. 03-03-2002 06:55 PM

Brandon -- I do the same you do!!! :) -- only use WinMX when Morpheus isn't working.

JagZone 03-03-2002 08:48 PM

Have they changed Aimster cause when I got it it sucked majorly!!!!!! it was the worst program I'd seen

air_canada 03-08-2002 10:45 AM

I'm bringing this thread back up by saying I use Audiogalaxy, not bad. My computer holds 1541 MP3 files, for 5,42 GB. Note that not all of those are mine..

Brandon 03-08-2002 01:06 PM

Yuck yuck yuck. I absolutely hate the new Morpheus. Between this preview edition and the final version, there better be a lot of changes. While I used to be able to download about 4 or 5 Kbs per second with my 56K modem before, its gone down to routinely around 1 or less KBpS. Plus I liked being able to know the bitrate of the file before I downloaded it, because for me, it has to be at least a 128 bit quality for me to download. Right now its a crap shoot. So for now, I'm stuck with WinMx, which I'm not terrible too fond of, but its my best option.

JagZone 03-08-2002 02:41 PM

The new Morepheus also caused a virus on my computer or something. I would keep getting a blue system screen saying beginning system dump or system memory and all this weird stuf but I ran a ful fledge virus scan and nothing showed up. I unintsalled Morpheus and haven't got it since

Marc 03-08-2002 03:08 PM

Kevin, the only way you could have gotten a virus is if you downloaded one. I always scan what I download before opening it.

lmanchur. 03-08-2002 06:36 PM

..it could've been just slowing down your system. Especially on older ones, it slows your system down 'cuz it automatically loads itself when Windows loads. I dunno if that's your problem or not, but it could be, and if it is, there is a way or two to stop Morpheus from automatically loading when Windows loads.

Combined, my brother and I have 134 MP3s totalling to 513MB