Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   [Conference Championship Playoffs '03] Bucs vs. Eagles (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=6133)

Marc 01-14-2003 07:08 PM

[Conference Championship Playoffs '03] Bucs vs. Eagles

If the Bucs want to get to the big show, they'll have to do something they haven't been able to do recently -- defeat the Eagles at Veterans Stadium. Tampa Bay was eliminated by Philadelphia in the first round of the playoffs the last two years. Donovan McNabb showed little rust in the Eagles' divisional playoff win over Atlanta, while the Bucs looked dominant against San Francisco. The Philadelphia defense, however, will certainly provide a stiffer test for Tampa Bay than the banged-up 49ers did, particularly at the raucous Vet. (NFL.com)

Please use this thread to discuss the matchup. Thanks!

MountaineerDave 01-14-2003 09:16 PM

Couple of things about this game scream blowout, to me, anyway.

The Eagles played a tougher (at the time) team than Tampa did to get here. Let's face it, Atlanta didn't have to sweat quite as much as SF, had some momentum, and were playing much better D than the Niners coming into this past weekend. The Niners were DOA in Tampa.

Don't let last week confuse you: Tampa's offense stinks. Brad Johnson is a solid quarterback, but has no running game to alleviate the blitzing that the Eagles like to do. They'll come for him, they'll crush him, and then they'll be playing Shaun King. The Eagles secondary matches up so well with Tampa's sluggish receivers that the receivers may as well not exist. Remember, Bobby Taylor cut his professional cover teeth blanketing Michael Irvin to the point of insignificance in several games. The Eagles may not have the NFL's best defense, but when matched with the plodding, poorly protected Tampa offense, you don't have to be the best. You merely need to execute, and Philly hasn't failed to execute all that often this year.

Also, other side of the ball: for all of Tampa's defensive greatness, and their ability to confuse and swallow whole the "magnificent" Mike Vick, they have no solution to Donovan "Mystery" McNabb. For all their speed and strength, McNabb generally burns them every way imaginable. Chalk a lot of this up to superior coaching. As great an assistant as Monte Kiffin is, Andy Reid is better. Which is why Monte Kiffin remains an assistant, and Reid is a head coach.

Eagles 34 Bucs 14

Hey, at least I have them scoring touchdowns against the Eagles... :)

Dave

Kornbix 01-14-2003 11:04 PM

I gotta give my respect to the Eagles. 30-14 Eagles

Hero 01-14-2003 11:17 PM

The Bucs defense can't contain McNabb, and I just can't see the Bucs winning at all... 35-3 Philadelphia.

NickHammy 01-14-2003 11:30 PM

What will it be 3 years in a row now?

Eagles 27, Bucs 23

Anthony 01-15-2003 05:48 AM

The long-range weather outlook calls for light snow in Philadelphia on Sunday, with temperatures in the 20s - meaning that it will be colder than it was on December 29th in Champaign (35 degrees at kickoff), plus it won't be Henry Burris the Bucs defense will be contending with this time around.

Kornbix 01-15-2003 07:20 PM

Besides; the BUCS come up clutch? NAh

jnmhayes 01-15-2003 10:10 PM

Queue John Facenda (the old voice of NFL Films)...

"On the frozen tundra known as Veterans Stadium..."

I doubt there's a tougher place for a warm weather team to play outside of Wisconsin than the ice-cold concrete of the Vet. The Vet is the only place I've seen a game of any sort where it can be miserably hot and humid in the summer and colder than a mother-in-law's kiss in the winter. I believe Veterans from all around this great land will applaud it's demise.

Oh, Eagles win.

HibachiDG 01-15-2003 10:44 PM

I won't be applauding the demise of the Vet anytime soon. I grew up going to that place to watch games. To the rest of the country, it was a ****hole, but to Philadelphians, it's something special. Hence the reason why the Phillies have already sold out their final home game of the season.

Kornbix 01-15-2003 11:06 PM

I don't think it would be to smart of anyone to wear the oppenets team colors there eh? Describe to me what would happen if that were to happen.

HibachiDG 01-16-2003 11:42 AM

One of many things. For the most part, you could get away with just getting yelled at. But most people in opposing colors are able to take the comments of "cocksucker" and "your team ****ing sucks" etc. If you're a dick and start **** with the wrong person, then you'll probably end up in a fight.

MountaineerDave 01-16-2003 03:53 PM

With Philly likely winning and Oakland likely winning, it's too bad that the meanest of fans don't get to make it to the Super Bowl. They'd have to stop the game at the half to deal with hooliganism.

Dave

magman1621 01-16-2003 04:55 PM

I wouldn't call us Philly fans "the meanest" I'd call us the most passionate and most loyal fans. Eagles win by a blowout 35-6, Tampa doesn't score a TD against THE BEST DEFENSE in the league, and they'll prove their even better than the bucs D this Sunday. Ohh have we been waiting for this moment for such a LONG LONG TIME!!!!

HibachiDG 01-16-2003 06:16 PM

Speaking of best D in the league, Kellerman just asked the question on PTI and Bob Ryan, who I used to respect before this show has shown his inability to deal with sports as a whole. He's great with basketball and Boston, but he's crazy on a lot of other topics. Back to the point though, it's one thing to say Tampa has a better D, which I won't ever agree with it, but numbers wise, they are #1. Ryan not only said this, but said they were better because they got more pressure on the QB. What a ****ing joke.

Good to see everyone in the media is starting to make a big deal out of B. Mitch's comments that Sapp is sackless against Philly when he's been saying it for two years running now. **** Sapp, most overrated player for however long he's been playing. B. Mitch is poppin' corks on the Bucs Sunday.

This game isn't just about getting to the Super Bowl, it's about showing everyone in the World that numbers sometimes lie. Tampa's D isn't as good as Philly's and the Nation will know this on Sunday.

HibachiDG 01-16-2003 06:20 PM

Magman, how much does the thing to play ps2 online cost? I'm tired of running over my roomates with the Chargers.

And a side note, have I set the record for getting words replaced with "****" in a thread yet?

atllonghorn 01-17-2003 12:47 AM

I think TB's D is every bit as good as Philly's. However, the homefield is a huge advantage.

One thing TB has going for them is that they've got a little more to prove than Philly. The Eagles will be missing out on a golden opportunity if they lose this game, but even if that happens, they're still clearly a team on the rise. Tampa's been on the cusp for a while now, and they've got to be starving. And Gruden's a badass (not that Andy Reed isn't a great coach, too).

I think this will be a close game. Cognitively, I know the Eagles should win, but since I can't stand that team or their fans, I'll be pulling for the Bucs.

jnmhayes 01-17-2003 10:05 PM

atllonghorn, good analysis. On neutral ground, TB might have an edge, their D is a little better statistically and they should be hungrier.

But not on the frozen tundra.

BTW, for Eagles fans whose fondest memory is beating the Cowboys in the 1980 NFC Championship game, Wilbert Montgomery has agreed to serve as honorary captain on Sunday. That is cool.

MountaineerDave 01-17-2003 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by atllonghorn
And Gruden's a badass .

Okay, I just want to get this in: If the Bucs lose, as I suspect they will, can we start packing this idea up and ship it off somewhere where suns don't shine.

I don't know if we've lived in an era of more employed overrated coaches in the NFL. Gruden merely did what Dungy did with this team a couple years ago. Motivating a team to live up at the very least, to its talent potential is a good thing, but nothing that hasnt' been done before.

This team is in fact better, talent-wise on offense, than the Tampa team Dungy took to five minutes (and one of the worst officiating review calls in the history of instant replay) away from beating the record-setting Rams a couple years ago.

Gruden has to prove it on the field. And he has to do it soon. I am sick of his gold-child status and his facial contortions. He's beginning to remind me of Bill "The Chin" Cowher. Great motivator through the season, great mind for the game, falls down when the chips are on the table. He's not there yet, but if he doesn't win this game, and they continue to struggle offensively next season, I'm for revoking Gruden's genius status, because he simply doesn't deserve it.

Dave

HibachiDG 01-18-2003 02:03 AM

Tampa's D has more to prove? They're Number One in everyone's eyes, while Philly is Number 2. Please, think through what you say atlhookemhornssuck. That makes no sense. Philly's D has a ton more to prove because they think they're better then Tampa's yet no one else does.

SportsTalker 01-18-2003 12:27 PM

The team who scores the first TD will win the game between Tampa and Philadelphia

Since it's going to be very cold in philadelpha tomorrow, it looks like the team who scores the first touchdown will win because both teams have good defenses, and we all know good defenses don't give up a lot of points in a Championship game. So The team who scores first will have the momemtum, the lead and the more motivated defense from their offense getting in the end zone. Prediction

Tampa 13
Phila 7

atllonghorn 01-18-2003 12:59 PM

Hmmm...it's good to see that Penn State's not averse to admitting illiterates these days. How charitable of them.

It's not just Tampa Bay's D. What I said was that, Tampa Bay, as a team, has more to prove.

This starts with Gruden. If anyone wants to know why, see MountaineerDave's post.

Next, you've got guys like Alstott, Keyshawn, Brad Johnson, and so on, who, for various reasons, really need to win this game.

And then yes, you've got a D who needs to win an SB in order to validate themselves as one of the best defenses of all time. I'd say that's having far more to prove than whether they're the best defense this year.

Tampa Bay's been a strong team for a longer consecutive period of time as of late than has Philadelphia. They had some close calls, some embarrassments, especially in cold whether, and they've even replaced a successful and popular head coach in the hopes of getting to the next level. There's more at stake here for them. If the Eagles lose, they're still an improving team, McNabb wasn't 100%, they'll have a new stadium next year, and they'll be right back where they are right now.

jnmhayes 01-18-2003 04:37 PM

Tomorrow's forecast for Philadelphia: Mostly cloudy with a chance of flurries in the morning. Then partly sunny. Highs near 30. Light west winds increasing late in the morning to 10 to 15 mph.

magman1621 01-19-2003 01:35 PM

"Hmmm...it's good to see that Penn State's not averse to admitting illiterates these days. How charitable of them.

It's not just Tampa Bay's D. What I said was that, Tampa Bay, as a team, has more to prove.

This starts with Gruden. If anyone wants to know why, see MountaineerDave's post.

Next, you've got guys like Alstott, Keyshawn, Brad Johnson, and so on, who, for various reasons, really need to win this game.

And then yes, you've got a D who needs to win an SB in order to validate themselves as one of the best defenses of all time. I'd say that's having far more to prove than whether they're the best defense this year.

Tampa Bay's been a strong team for a longer consecutive period of time as of late than has Philadelphia. They had some close calls, some embarrassments, especially in cold whether, and they've even replaced a successful and popular head coach in the hopes of getting to the next level. There's more at stake here for them. If the Eagles lose, they're still an improving team, McNabb wasn't 100%, they'll have a new stadium next year, and they'll be right back where they are right now."

Yea Tampa Bay does have a lot prove, but didn't they last year at this time??? Wasn't last year the year they were suppose to have the incentive of saving their beloved head coach dungy and also as sapp said save all of their jobs. Don't tell me they were a different team last year either cause they have basically the same player personel. They didn't do it last year against the eagles and they won't do it this year against the eagles. It's the eagles time to shine.

Kornbix 01-19-2003 07:00 PM

Current Score:
Bucs-20
Eagles-10
9:37 left

atllonghorn 01-19-2003 07:30 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Cry in your cheesesteaks, Filthadelphia fans.

Man, your city's a dump, and your team got embarrassed on their own turf.

I was going to give y'all the nod in the secondary, until Ronde Barber served you.

BucsFan 01-19-2003 10:04 PM

All I have to say for all you sorry a$$ Philly fans who thought that you were so high up on your horse and untouchable....and all you people who underestimate the Bucs...........

HA HA

I know a few of the Bucs players personally, and Ive never seen anyone play with so much heart and passion as I have the Bucs. They are the nicest, most "down to earth" friendly people you will ever meet (and yes...including Sapp). He's a ball buster, but thats part of the hype. They played their hearts out and did it very well. As far as Im concerned they deserve to be where they are at. As far as John Gruden goes..he's done a TREMENDOUS amount for the bucs and has completely revamped their playing style. So any of you who disagree with this, obviously dont know much about the game. But then again, that wouldnt suprise me since NONE of you even came close to predicting the outcome to this game..lol.

Any posts given after this consisting of excuses why the Bucs won or the Eagles lost will be "humorously" disregarded as bull$hit. :D So save your snivvling and crying for your mommies. And if what I said offends you, feel free to email me...well do lunch, in an ally of your choice to help you better understand the way the world works.

BucsFan 01-19-2003 10:06 PM

Oh...and one other thing...all of you immature Philly fans who find it amussing to throw batteries and beat up the oposing teams fans...well you got what you deserve..bad Karma...because what goes around...comes around.

Kornbix 01-19-2003 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BucsFan

I know a few of the Bucs players personally,

Who do you know?:rolleyes:

Hero 01-19-2003 11:54 PM

Tom Tupa is a nice guy.:D

Marc 01-20-2003 12:15 AM

Welcome, BucsFan. :wavey: You are sure the passionate fan. Let's try to keep discussion focused on what happened on the field, not insulting another team's fans. Thank you.

To be honest, I never saw this happening, but with Gruden and the cirumstances, I didn't count it out in the back of my mind. Tampa simply made the plays it needed to without the turnovers and won.

HibachiDG 01-20-2003 12:28 AM

The Bucs beat them and yea I'm pissed. Will I make excuses? No. They got beat, as I said, I'm pissed and that's the obvious. But to make some crack about batteries, that just shows that you're a dickhead trying to start something. How many times have Philly fans thrown batteries? Once. It was for JD Drew and
five people threw batteries. Thanks for making generalizations, come back to the forums when you watch some games.

atllonghorn, you said "Hmmm...it's good to see that Penn State's not averse to admitting illiterates these days. How charitable of them."

did you look up all of the following words in the dictionary: good, to, averse, admitting, illeterates, days, chartiable, them

Plase, come on. You're sporting all sorts of Texas and you're going to knock PSUs academics? Have some ground to stand on first.

BucsFan 01-20-2003 03:30 AM

Thank you for welcoming me Marc. Actually I wasnt insulting the fans. I was just stating factual information that has been replayed over and over again on television here. I mean... I SAW with my own eyes, a bucs fan get beat down by 4 or 5 philly fans and then kicked while he was down. Come on now, Tampa fans would NEVER stoup to that level here. Now I know that not all Philly fans are like that, so it wasnt directed to anyone who is a respectable fan, but like I said, for the last week, on the news here, all I have seen is Philly fans talk crap and down the bucs with insults, and then when you see fellow fans 1000 miles away get beat down...ya tend to get a little pi$$ed.

Kornbix: I work for a very reputable and upscale reseraunt in the area, and many of the bucs players come in (as well as other celebrities) to eat. I have had conversations with many of them including Gruden. Mike Alstott and Dereck Brooks are in quite often and are part owners of our sister restaraunt. Mike also had his wedding rehearsal dinner at our restaraunt. I have sat with Monte Kiffin several times and chatted with him. He's a super nice guy as well as a funny. I can get autographs from any of them anytime, as well as tickets to the games for free. =)

OH and Doug...yes ...it was reported on the news here that a fan was pelted with batteries. once again...nhot trying to start anything...just stating facts, and regardless of wether or not it happened again....the point was...it happened.

Anthony 01-20-2003 03:36 AM

If there ever was a textbook example of the verb "to diss" (meaning to show disrespect), it was all those squib kicks the Buccaneers kept doing on every kickoff after the opening one. What they were "saying," in effect, is that they did not fear - or respect - the Eagle offense one bit; they were perfectly satisfied to keep the ball out of Brian Mitchell's hands.

Another thing that was made obvious by Sunday's game: The Eagles need a genuine, big-play, 4.2-in-the-40 receiver, and I mean they need him today, to paraphrase Professor Harold Hill from The Music Man. When Martin Gramatica kicked that second field goal to make it 20-10, the game was over - like, you know, totally over. You gotta have that speed guy who can get you right back in the game with one play - and the Eagles haven't had one since they traded Harold Jackson to the Rams as part of the Roman Gabriel deal, and that was 30 years ago!

Alex 01-20-2003 06:46 AM

man the eagles ggot steamrolled by the Bucs. i thought the Bucs would make it a close game and Philly would win but a 17 point win is not what i expected. i can't wait for the Super Bowl the leagues best O vs best D should be a fun game.

MountaineerDave 01-21-2003 07:54 PM

Okay, so Gruden proved his mettle. The hurry-up offense through much of the first half, while not a huge leap, was a genius move. They also seemed to move Brad Johnson around a little more than I'm used to seeing, and that was ingenious as well.

The devastatingly difficult part to fully comprehend, even two days later, was how well the Bucs' Oline kept the Eagles D in check. The Bucs weren't supposed to be able to run, but they ran as required and desired.

An amazing performance by the Bucs. We'll ignore the Andy Reid criticism for the moment. I'm still absorbing the offensive game plan, and trying to rationalize it with what I knew of the Bucs offense.

Dave

I OWN THIS 01-22-2003 11:27 AM

The Bucs so called hurry-up offense was interesting, for it wasn't a hurry-up offense play after play....it was a hurry-up offense only at times, then they would huddle back up. Gruden didn't go as extreme as the old Bills no huddle hurry-up offense, but he seemed to do it situationally from what I could tell. I was not sure that the Bucs could even put together an offensive drive against the Eagles, yet they put up 94 and 80 yard scoring drives during the game.

Joey

magman1621 01-22-2003 04:36 PM

"All I have to say for all you sorry a$$ Philly fans who thought that you were so high up on your horse and untouchable....and all you people who underestimate the Bucs...........

HA HA

I know a few of the Bucs players personally, and Ive never seen anyone play with so much heart and passion as I have the Bucs. They are the nicest, most "down to earth" friendly people you will ever meet (and yes...including Sapp). He's a ball buster, but thats part of the hype. They played their hearts out and did it very well. As far as Im concerned they deserve to be where they are at. As far as John Gruden goes..he's done a TREMENDOUS amount for the bucs and has completely revamped their playing style. So any of you who disagree with this, obviously dont know much about the game. But then again, that wouldnt suprise me since NONE of you even came close to predicting the outcome to this game..lol.

Any posts given after this consisting of excuses why the Bucs won or the Eagles lost will be "humorously" disregarded as bull$hit. So save your snivvling and crying for your mommies. And if what I said offends you, feel free to email me...well do lunch, in an ally of your choice to help you better understand the way the world works."

It takes a person with big balls to kick someone when their down??? That just shows the type of person you are...