Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   The Lounge (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   A Day of luck, I think not (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=17458)

Dano 07-07-2007 12:55 PM

A Day of luck, I think not

A Poker tale, by Dano

All I've heard the last couple of days, is how July 7th 2007 (777) is going to be a special day when it comes to having luck involved in your life. Couples all over the world planning for weddings, hoping that this day blesses them with luck for an enduring marriage. Gambler's booking rooms in Vegas, Atlantic City and Tunica to cash in on the 7's as well.

So I thought hey, why not me.

So I got online around 10AM central time and entered a No Limit Texas hold em tourney on a well know poker site. The entry fee was $26 buy in with pay outs of $9000. It paid the top 35 players entered. 400 and something people entered this thing so the top prize was $2279 for 1st place and $40.79 going to #35. (You figure the in betweens)

I believe in destiny, so I bought my time, wait for the right moment and then I got my hand that was going to put me near the leader board. Sitting behind the small blind, I was dealt the hand all players would like to have on this day. Pocket 7's. I said, "This must be a sign from the poker gods" They do in fact want me to win on this special day. So with most the table folding it got to me and I went all-in. With four players in, with one player who raise the blinds to $100, he was the only one to call my all-in. He show AK unsuited to my 7 7. I was very happy with this so far

The flop came, J K J. I said OK, it's time to hit that seven. Turn came and it was a 5. No help. But this day is all about luck. No way can 7 7 on this day of 7's lose. And then the most unbelievable thing happen that will remain with me for as long as I live. With only two 7's remaining in the deck... A freaking 3 of diamonds hit on the river busting my balls and making me realize, that

"I hate the number 7 !!!!!"

Jesus God, can my life get any worse?

jhuerbin88 07-07-2007 01:06 PM

Sorry about your loss, Dano, but that story was funny as hell. I loved your build up.

Dano 07-07-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurghGuy (Post 250146)
Sorry about your loss, Dano, but that story was funny as hell. I loved your build up.

Well what can I said BurghGut? I had a dream. I wanted to be somebody. And like always, I fell on my face. Lifes is hard sometimes with balls of cotton cram up your nose. But I'll get by.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...lmsnose200.jpg
(Above is an actor playing the role of Dano)

carter08 07-07-2007 01:59 PM

It was still a lucky day for 35 people.

It would really suck to finish 36th.

suedon1970 07-07-2007 02:21 PM

Great story Dano!!!:thumbup:

At least you've got that story to tell your grandkids one day.....:D

Dano 07-07-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suedon1970 (Post 250176)
Great story Dano!!!:thumbup:

At least you've got that story to tell your grandkids one day.....:D

I'll have to save it for your grandkids. My science book tells me that. "One must first produce off spring to have grandkids"

Mr. Wizard wouldn't lie.

:)

Ellis 07-09-2007 04:37 PM

Thoughts:

I. I am surprised that pockets 7's lost on 07-07-07. I think that this definitely speaks out against those who believe in superstition. While some may try and blind themselves with the idea that their fate is controlled by some other "power", we only have reason (and now even more reason because of this story) to believe that in fact we are just stuck with the cold and empty fate that the world deals to us.

II. I sense a great deal of cynicism in your posts Dano. While everyone likes light-heared cynical people, I think you get down on yourself too much. I like to think that there is a woman out there for you, although, as I said, we are all stuck with the cold fate that the world gives us. But, there is always hope and hope is a good thing. Once we lose hope, what do we have?

III. It would be completely unreasonable to think that 07-07-07 would be lucky for everyone because poker is not like economics. In economics everyone can win because of production. In poker you cannot grow money and the only money out there is the money out there. If this makes any sense, what I am trying to say is that in poker there are only two things that can happen: some people lose and some people win or everyone breaks even. Unlike economics, everyone can't win.*
Great story. It is definitely one that deserves a good deal on analyzing and reflection, for it has a lot to offer.

* Although in economics everyone can be winner, there are almost always "losers" in a Capitalistic system. I guess that is all depends on the definition of "winner."

Dano 07-09-2007 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellis (Post 250465)
Thoughts:

I. I am surprised that pockets 7's lost on 07-07-07. I think that this definitely speaks out against those who believe in superstition. While some may try and blind themselves with the idea that their fate is controlled by some other "power", we only have reason (and now even more reason because of this story) to believe that in fact we are just stuck with the cold and empty fate that the world deals to us.

II. I sense a great deal of cynicism in your posts Dano. While everyone likes light-heared cynical people, I think you get down on yourself too much. I like to think that there is a woman out there for you, although, as I said, we are all stuck with the cold fate that the world gives us. But, there is always hope and hope is a good thing. Once we lose hope, what do we have?

III. It would be completely unreasonable to think that 07-07-07 would be lucky for everyone because poker is not like economics. In economics everyone can win because of production. In poker you cannot grow money and the only money out there is the money out there. If this makes any sense, what I am trying to say is that in poker there are only two things that can happen: some people lose and some people win or everyone breaks even. Unlike economics, everyone can't win.*
Great story. It is definitely one that deserves a good deal on analyzing and reflection, for it has a lot to offer.

* Although in economics everyone can be winner, there are almost always "losers" in a Capitalistic system. I guess that is all depends on the definition of "winner."

Thoughts:

I. This isn't a place to get a date. It's a sports forum. And my post was a simple thread on something that happen to me

II. Dr. Ellis thank you for taking the time to analyze my pathetic life for me and all the room to better understand me and my problems.

III. Are you a pimp, trying to put one of your Ho's on the Dano scent trail? If so, climb back in your purple caddy and take your sell down the road. IM not buying.

Ellis 07-10-2007 12:04 AM

Alright, I'm sorry. I just liked the story. I will not look in depth into any more of your stories-- promised.

bama4256 07-11-2007 02:08 PM

Those numbers mean nothing except for what they really are-Numbers.