Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   The Rose Bowl went WAY out to get Illinois... (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=18728)

buckeyefan78 12-03-2007 07:37 PM

The Rose Bowl went WAY out to get Illinois...

According to the USA Today the Rose Bowl went far down the line to get Illinois in the Pasadena classic.

In accordance with BCS rules the Rose Bowl had first selection after Ohio State and LSU because the Buckeyes finished #1 in the BCS.

Some teams had a "loose tie" to one of the 4 major bowls but the Rose Bowl could have asked any one of those bowls to relinquish any team from that tie.

When asked about taking Georgia, Rose Bowl officials said that the Sugar Bowl had them in the "loose lock" but the suits in New Orleans said the boys in Pasadena never contacted them about relinquishing the Bulldogs out of their game.

Essentially, the Rose Bowl passed up these teams (in BCS order)

#3 Virginia Tech
#4 Oklahoma
#5 Georgia
#6 Missouri
#8 Kansas
#9 West Virginia
#10 Hawaii
#11 Arizona State (obviously not a choice cuz USC)
#12 Florida (eat it mush :P)
#13 Illinois - took 'em
#14 Boston College

davematthews3 12-03-2007 09:31 PM

I myself was very pleased with the decision to fighto ff the Playoff talks this was neccesary.

buckeyefan78 12-03-2007 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davematthews3 (Post 263861)
I myself was very pleased with the decision to fighto ff the Playoff talks this was neccesary.

Yeah, people are talking about how this year will propel playoffs but this is hardcore proof that the Rose Bowl is still 100% on board with tradition.

Figure this DM3:

The two greatest programs this decade have easily been USC and Ohio State. And how many times have they met in the Rose Bowl?

Plus ASU didn't make a BCS bowl (Pac Ten loses $18 million) this year.

I think...well...have hope...that when the current contract is up the Rose Bowl and Pac Ten will lead the way to go back to the old system.

Ross 12-05-2007 03:02 PM

I had no problem at all with the Rose Bowl's decision. In fact, I would have been more disappointed if they picked someone else instead of Illinois. I hate to sound like buck here (:P), but a Pac-10 and a Big Ten team should always be playing each other at 3:30 et on January 1. I feel the same way about the Sugar Bowl and an SEC team. And preferably, all three of those conference's champions.

(This is starting to lead me to a whole other point I hope to bring up sometime soon.)

Richard the Lionheart 12-05-2007 04:18 PM

Predictably, the ESPN college football mafia was against this decision...

buckeyefan78 12-05-2007 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid (Post 264099)
Predictably, the ESPN college football mafia was against this decision...

Those folks are against anything pre-2000.

Well, they do go back in time for Jordan and one other thing...

It's the reason for TV, sports, life and death on earth: The New York F-uckin' Yankees.

Ross...

I like the attiude. Keep up the good work. :thumbsup2:

:P

BTW...the Rose Bowl has always been played between 4:30-5:45 Eastern.

:D

Ross 12-05-2007 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 264116)

BTW...the Rose Bowl has always been played between 4:30-5:45 Eastern.

:D

Ok, it's official...I've lived in central time for too many years now.:o