Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   SEC Preview Released (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=7392)

tigereyes33 06-17-2003 04:49 PM

SEC Preview Released

I found a great in-depth SEC preview on a website. If you click on the team name, it will go to link and if you scroll down a little it shows the games the site predicts them to win and lose. Also, there are some small links at the top right of this page like All-SEC teams and stuff. Enjoy. I'll put up the Big Ten tomorrow.

SEC Preview

Dublin Mike 06-17-2003 06:56 PM

My mouth is watering already. Auburn is definately everyone's favorite to win the West, including mine. The onlt team that has any kind of chance will be LSU.

33, is the Bama game in Auburn or Tuscaloosa? That game will probably be the last time the game will be competitive for a few years IMO.

The East will probably be a 2 horse race between UGA and UT. With all due respect to Joey, I just think U.F. is gonna be in a real hurt this year. Let's just call it a feeling I have. That, and the fact that you just don't replace a Rex Grossman.

UGA imo lost just a bit too much to stay with UT this year. I hope I am wrong, but I think Clausen is due to have a good year. Last year UGA was lucky that he was hurt, otherwise they probably would have lost that game as well as UF.

So Auburn vs. UT in the SEC title, and Auburn should win it. That being said, stranger things have happened, so we'll see come December.

tigereyes33 06-17-2003 07:58 PM

It said Auburn over Florida in the championship and the Bama game is in Auburn. Also Mike, did you notice that they picked Auburn to go 11-1 with a loss to Georgia? That would make me sick.:eek:

Dublin Mike 06-17-2003 08:11 PM

LOL! I bet it would. :D

Anybody that puts UF in the title game is smoking something other than cigarettes, so don't get too worried just yet.

Although it is about time we won a home game vs the Tigers.... ;) :D

tigereyes33 06-17-2003 08:19 PM

Well, I sure would like to see the Gators instead of facing ya'll or Tennessee for the second time. I hope that the situation when Auburn plays UGA is that if Auburn wins UGA is eliminated from the East race, and if UGA wins, UGA clinches the East and Auburn wins the west with a win over Bama so that if we win, we don't have to see you again, but if we lose, we get another shot at you. And that very well might be the case.

Dublin Mike 06-17-2003 09:59 PM

33, I think I know what you are saying. If Auburn loses to UGA in the reg. season, you want a rematch in the SEC title game, correct?

I am efforting to get tickets to the Auburn game, and it looks like everything will be a go. I just haven't made up my mind if I want to spend $75 a pop on tickets.

tigereyes33 06-17-2003 10:16 PM

Yeah, I have a friend with season tickets for him and his wife, and his wife has said that she doesn't want to go, so hopefully that will hold up. But I'm really going to be miserable if I go there and UGA wins. I was miserable when I went last year to the UT game when Georgia won. What made it worse is that I was wearing a UT hat. Also, my parents know a huge donator to Auburn, and that's where I got my tickets to the Bama vs. Auburn game last year because they thought Auburn was going to lose and called and asked if I wanted them. So, I might get it through them. But I'll meet you somewhere maybe and we can be unmasked.

Dublin Mike 06-17-2003 10:24 PM

Sounds good. Maybe we won't kill each other. (don't worry about the baseball bat. I always carry it with me.) :D

tigereyes33 06-17-2003 10:43 PM

Well, maybe by then, we'll be agreeing about how incredible the Falcons are. I'm 100% with you on the Falcons pride. It has been so frustrating being a fan like that, but I think they are stacked this year. We'll talk about it later because this is driving me in sane because I am getting pumped up about a game in 151 days if my math is correct.

I OWN THIS 06-17-2003 11:56 PM

33, thanks for the link. I must say I am surprised to see Florida projected in the SEC Title game, and a 9-3 record for the Gators next year would be outstanding from where I see it. However, I don't think Florida will win the East and play in the SEC title game. I am with Mike on this one, for I have UT playing Auburn for a second time in the SEC Title game.

UT has already been burned once by beating LSU during the regular season, then to get beat by LSU in the SEC Title game a few years ago(a game that cost them a National title shot). 33, that would suck if Auburn went undefeated, and then lost in the SEC Championship game. I just don't like these Conference Championship games. One reason being the Big 10, Pac 10, ACC, Big East and others don't have such a game to ruin their season with. I hate the fact the SEC and Big 12 made these games up for money purposes.

Also, on a final thought, I sure hope Florida does not lose to Arkanslaw as the link suggested. That is a road game, but I could not stand the fact that Florida lost to them. They have owned Arkanslaw since they have been in the SEC, but have only played them a few times since the 12 team conference was started. The sad thing is if they lost to Arkanslaw, that would mean Florida would have lost to Mississippi Mistake, Ole Miss, and Arkanslaw all within a 4 year period.....ouch.

Joey

Marc 06-18-2003 03:28 PM

My obligation, of course, is to comment on my Cats... :)

They're not giving my Wildcats any love, but that's about what I've come to expect. New coach and lost a good amount of players, most notably Artose Pinner. But I think we will pull off some surprises and Jared Lorenzen, likely to be much more trim, will break some records because new Coach Brooks likes to throw it. This team will be golden on offense and struggle on defense, which is nothing new for UK.

Kentucky is still a joke to the rest of the SEC, but that will change. Hopefully, by the time I get there, UK will be good in football as it is in basketball. Give our coaching staff time to recruit players to fit its system. It already has some great ones coming in.

MountaineerDave 06-18-2003 04:10 PM

Don't be too hard on your 'Cats, Marc. As long as there are Commodores present in the SEC, at least you won't (likely) finish last overall...

:)
Dave

Dublin Mike 06-18-2003 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by I OWN THIS

Also, on a final thought, I sure hope Florida does not lose to Arkanslaw as the link suggested. That is a road game, but I could not stand the fact that Florida lost to them. They have owned Arkanslaw since they have been in the SEC, but have only played them a few times since the 12 team conference was started. The sad thing is if they lost to Arkanslaw, that would mean Florida would have lost to Mississippi Mistake, Ole Miss, and Arkanslaw all within a 4 year period.....ouch.

Joey

For your sake, I hope UF doesn't lose to them either Joey. I know a loss to them AND UGA in the same season would break your heart. :P :D

I OWN THIS 06-18-2003 11:30 PM

Florida losing to Arkanslaw and UGA in the same year just does not sound right Mike....lol. This might be the year though, and if it does happen it would break my heart. Thing is, Florida will get revenge eventually. Mike speaking of revenge, that is something UGA has been looking forward to since 1997 right......that was the last time UGA beat Florida. Robert Edwards went nuts that game, a game I want to forget about altogether.

Joey

Dublin Mike 06-19-2003 10:32 AM

Quote:

Mike speaking of revenge, that is something UGA has been looking forward to since 1997 right......

Joey

LOL. Just rub it in why don't ya? :D

SouthLink02 07-02-2003 12:45 AM

It wouldnt surprise me if UT or UGA wins the East. OLine isnt as bad as most think but RB's are iffy. UT's Clausen is over-rated but team is still good. UF doesnt have a chance to win East...

Tom Rathman 07-02-2003 01:03 AM

Georgia will be solid.

Who is going to start SouthLink? Greene or Shockley????

SouthLink02 07-02-2003 01:09 AM

Greene WILL start and play the majority if not all of the games. People don't realize that when Richt says Shockley will play, he is talking on 3rd downs and close or maybe 4th downs or even when Greene is struggling big time.

Shockley cant transer now so he is ours to keep.

Tom Rathman 07-02-2003 01:12 AM

Nice luxury to have since they are both very good qb's.

SouthLink02 07-02-2003 01:32 AM

I agree...I like them both...

Dublin Mike 07-02-2003 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by SouthLink02
I agree...I like them both...
Finally, another bulldog fan. Watch out Joey, we'll be ganging up on you before you know it. :D

As for Shockley, I am not a big fan of his. I would like to see him and Green on the field at the same time this year, maybe w/Shockley playing at WR.

I OWN THIS 07-02-2003 12:14 PM

Mike, I like a little challenge, so I am looking forward to talking college football with all you UGA fans. The more Bulldog fans the better, because now I can have bragging rights over a couple of UGA fans on the boards.

You gotta love Southlink's comments about the Gators having absolutely no chance to win the East. Now I will agree the Gators should not win the East, but lets not count out the team that has beaten UGA 11 out of the last 12 years....not to mention ruined your perfect season a year ago.

Florida just about won the SEC East with a very sub par team a season ago. A team that lost to Ole Miss on the road, and a team that was blown out twice in the swamp. I still can't believe Auburn let UGA throw a bomb to get down the field, and then complete a 4th and 15 for the touchdown to win it. Auburn killed the chances for a not so good Gator team to ONCE AGAIN win the East.

Florida avoids a tough Auburn this year, plays UT at home, plays UGA on a neutral field where they have owned them of late, so it is not out of the realm of possibility for the Gators to make a run for the East crown. Like I said doubtful, but please do not count them out.

Joey

SouthLink02 07-02-2003 12:57 PM

Quote:

Mike, I like a little challenge, so I am looking forward to talking college football with all you UGA fans. The more Bulldog fans the better, because now I can have bragging rights over a couple of UGA fans on the boards.

You gotta love Southlink's comments about the Gators having absolutely no chance to win the East. Now I will agree the Gators should not win the East, but lets not count out the team that has beaten UGA 11 out of the last 12 years....not to mention ruined your perfect season a year ago.

Florida just about won the SEC East with a very sub par team a season ago. A team that lost to Ole Miss on the road, and a team that was blown out twice in the swamp. I still can't believe Auburn let UGA throw a bomb to get down the field, and then complete a 4th and 15 for the touchdown to win it. Auburn killed the chances for a not so good Gator team to ONCE AGAIN win the East.

Florida avoids a tough Auburn this year, plays UT at home, plays UGA on a neutral field where they have owned them of late, so it is not out of the realm of possibility for the Gators to make a run for the East crown. Like I said doubtful, but please do not count them out.

Joey

Just because UF has won 11 of the last 12 makes no difference whatsoever in my opinion of what they will do. I don't have this hatred for the team or the university. Even UF fans that I talk to even agree that UF has ZERO shot to win the East this year. They have a QB who has basically NO experience, a new #1 WR (though they will flaunt about their new Freshman - Jackson, ext...) and a somewhat proven RB.

Their defense returns only 4 starters, 2 secondary people and their leading Defensive tackler had barely 1-2 sacks last year and a small amount of tackles. They will struggle whether they want to admit it or not. Even with Strong at the helm, his defense will struggle

To run Strong's 3-4 D you need a big bad ass DT (ie. Moore from USC last year) to clog up the middle which allows the 4 to 5 LB's make all the plays. Strong's zone D is mostly zone blitzes where any of the 4 to 5 LB and/or Safteys/ CB's can and will rush the passer at anytime. Most of the time a DL or LB will drop back to cover a WR or TE the key is whether or not your QB cane find the open man or mismatch before the D gets to you. QB's that can not handle pressure don't do very good (see UGA vs. USC 2000).

The big weakness to the 3-4 is that it is hard to stop the running game unless your DT is a bad ass. Ole Miss has been running a 3-5-3 D the last few years, much like Strong's D, b/c they had no DL's. It works good on passing teams (see last year's ole miss/uf game) but they could not stop the run UGA and Alburn....

UF D will be somewhere between the Strong's D from USC the last few years and the OLe Miss D from the last few years...

I OWN THIS 07-02-2003 01:56 PM

Obviously Florida has tons of weaknesses, there is no questioning that, but what makes UGA or UT leaps and bounds better than Florida this season?

I think every team in the SEC East has their share of weaknesses and question marks. I really don't forsee a dominate team in the SEC East, therefore, leaving the door open for a Florida to snag the East. Like I said previously, Florida also has the advantage of not playing an Auburn team, something UGA and UT both have to do. Florida has their toughest SEC East games either in the swamp or at a neutral location.

Nothing is set in stone for the SEC East this year from where I see it, except for Vanderbilt.

Joey

Dublin Mike 07-02-2003 02:22 PM

lol. You can always count on Vandy! :D

Neutral site? what neutral site? Do you mean that Fla. home game in Jacksonville every year? :P

SouthLink02 07-02-2003 02:26 PM

Quote:

Obviously Florida has tons of weaknesses, there is no questioning that, but what makes UGA or UT leaps and bounds better than Florida this season?
Every team has weaknesses but Florida's overweigh both UT and UGA, pretty heavily in my mind. UGA's OL has been the question mark but unlike what many other pub's say, they aren't replacing all 5. In fact, 3 of them started almost half the games, if not more AND that is when the O-Line was much better. The beginning of the year was horrible and thats when all 5 seniors started. The RB issue is a question mark and I don't deny that. I do believe that Richt will establish a running game with either Milton, Lumpkin, or Cooper.

UT returns Clausen, who IMO is over-rated, but still one of the best QB's in the SEC. They return a somewhat injury prone defense but I think if they can get their RB to work, they will lead the SEC over Auburn.

Like I said, UF needs to replace a good bit of their vital offense and almost all of their defense. Thats a HELL of a lot to suddenly replace.

Dublin Mike 07-02-2003 02:33 PM

The East definately is not the stronger of the 2 divisions this year. The top 3 teams are all suffering from the loss of key players. And not just 1 or 2 players leaving, but several.

It will be a lot of fun watching the East this year, and while I hope UGA can pull it off, as of right now (like i have said before Joey) I think UT will edge them out. :(

MountaineerDave 07-02-2003 02:54 PM

Greene is definitely a solid QB. I have yet to surrendur to the hype machine behind Shockley. Since Vick, it seems, every QB with a set of feet and the potential of an arm gets hyped out of this world, when in reality, there's no reason to believe he is what they say he is.

I think it's a mistake to split the duties, but if it works for Georgia, more power to them. Of course, it's nice to have a backup you believe in, but I want to see the farm before I buy the beef.

Dave

SouthLink02 07-02-2003 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MountaineerDave
but I want to see the farm before I buy the beef.
Start cooking!!! :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

I OWN THIS 07-02-2003 04:46 PM

Mike, we have agreed before on UT winning the East. I still stick to my guns on that for now, but I might change my mind come August....lol.

Southlink, your right man, Florida is replacing more positions than UT and UGA. UGA and UT should beat Florida, for I won't deny that, but it is not a closed case that both will beat Florida. All I heard last year, after Miami spanked UF, was how Florida was going to get murdered by UT. Then I also remember a undefeated Georgia team was suppossed to give Florida a good beating as well. Remembering last year, Florida went on to beat both of those teams in surprising fashion. I know that was last year, and last year was the past, but that is a decent example of what could happen down the road.

If I had to rank the SEC East right now it would go like this....

1. UT
2. UGA
3. Florida
4. South Carolina
5. UK
6. Vandy

If Florida does have a strength, it would be that they are bringing back all 5 starters on the offensive line. Florida's offensive line was horrid last season, so maybe that is not a big of a strength as it may seem. There is no question that we will find out how good of a coach Ron Zook is this year, because the talent level and experience is down at UF.

Joey

SouthLink02 07-02-2003 04:52 PM

Quote:

All I heard last year, after Miami spanked UF, was how Florida was going to get murdered by UT. Then I also remember a undefeated Georgia team was suppossed to give Florida a good beating as well. Remembering last year, Florida went on to beat both of those teams in surprising fashion. I know that was last year, and last year was the past, but that is a decent example of what could happen down the road.
But to use last year's team compared to this years team would be an injustice (ok, sounds weird but only word I could think of). Last years team still had plenty of talent on it and you all know that but the record didnt reflect it with an iffy offensive scheme. UF did beat UGA but dude, it was by 7 points. You all did blow away UT but not UGA. It was close all the way through...

I would agree with your rankings too.

Zook? Oh man, don't get me started on him. I like UF as I said before. But I cant stand that man. I dealt with him here in New Orleans and am so glad that prick is gone.

I OWN THIS 07-02-2003 08:30 PM

Yeah, Zook was a defensive Coordinator with the Saints for a few years there if I am not mistaken.

Florida did have 8 players drafted off last year's team amazingly, so they did lose some talent yes. I by no means meant that Florida beat the hell out of UGA last year, for I thought that was a very close game....and like I said I was more than surprised UF won that game.

This could be a very tough year for Florida football, and many are thinking it will be much worse than last year. I surely hope not, because last year's Florida Gators went 8-5. Time shall tell what this inexperienced, young team will be able to accomplish.

Joey

Dublin Mike 07-04-2003 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Greene is definitely a solid QB. I have yet to surrendur to the hype machine behind Shockley. Since Vick, it seems, every QB with a set of feet and the potential of an arm gets hyped out of this world, when in reality, there's no reason to believe he is what they say he is.

I think it's a mistake to split the duties, but if it works for Georgia, more power to them. Of course, it's nice to have a backup you believe in, but I want to see the farm before I buy the beef.

Dave

Oh yeah. It works great for UGA. I am sure Joey and Southlink both remember that beautiful pass Shockley threw to that UF corner last year, which was run back for a TD. Surprisingly, UGA lost by 7! :redhot:

Coach Richt needs to stick with Greene imo. The kid could be a Heisman candidate if he played the entire game!

Dublin Mike 07-05-2003 06:24 PM

Hey Joey, who do you want as the starting QB for the Gators?

I OWN THIS 07-07-2003 11:00 AM

Mike, I want Chris Leak to start, but I am not sure he will start. UF will probably go with Ingle Martin, who is the only Qb coming back with any kind of experience. I think Leak has a shot at starting, but he is not the only freshman coming in to make some noise....Justin Midgett is supposed to be in the mix for the starting job as well. Gaven Dickey is currently #2, until the 2 freshman come onto the scene.

Mike, I want Chris Leak, but I worry about starting any freshman against Miami on the road....which UF plays on Sept. 6th. If Ingle Martin fails, I do think Leak will get the first chance to start over Midgett and Dickey though. Look for Leak to be inserted sometime this season as the starter.

May the best man win, and it looks to be a very interesting competition for QB this summer.

Joey