Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Hockey (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   I Know Who Could Save the Pens! (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=9134)

Ellis 01-21-2004 08:23 PM

I Know Who Could Save the Pens!

Mark Cuban, get your ass back down to your home town.

WE NEED YOU!

You have got a lot of money and know how to own a sports team.

So why not buy the Pens and turn them around.

Ok, I know this idea of Cuban owning the Pens is a little overboard. Does any1 actualy think the Pens are a good investment? But, he's got money so just come and buy them so that your home town can have it's team stay where it belongs.

lmanchur. 01-22-2004 12:56 AM

2 years ago I'd say they would be a good investment... but not now, since they have no core of a team to build around, except Fleury. No Straka... No Kovalev... No Lemieux (if he sells, he'll retire too)... No Francis... No Jagr... No arena.. No NOTHING. There are no assets there to start with... it would take a long time to turn things around there to make it profitable.

Bran 01-22-2004 03:49 AM

Yep, well said Lee. This team is unsaveable. I don't care if they move to Winnipeg either, even though that is a great hockey city, they would be dealing with garbage off the top and it would take years and yeard of rebuilding.

Alex 01-22-2004 04:42 PM

Right now you could switch the Pens with my Baby Pens and you couldn't tell the difference. That's how bad of a situation it is in the 'burgh. This team needs years and years and years of rebuilding before they can ever be a contender again. Just to keep the team in Pittsburgh they will need a deep pocketed owner and I don't see that happening. Enjoy the Pens while you can Pens fans, they won't be there much longer.

Heathen 01-23-2004 04:18 PM

The Winnipeg Penguins.... sounds like it's on its way. :D

Alex 01-23-2004 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Heathen
The Winnipeg Penguins.... sounds like it's on its way. :D
Winnipeg doesn't deserve to endure 5 years of losing. If Winnipeg gets a team I hope it's Tampa Bay or Nashville or some team with a future. Right the Pens future is very cloudy. However, Winnipeg Penguins is a good name.

Loser 01-23-2004 07:09 PM

Oh my......

First, Mark Cuban offered to be part owner of the team, when Lemieux put together a group to buy the Penguins. Unfortunately, Cuban wanted to have the bulk of the ownership and wanted to make most of the decisions. Lemieux didn't want this at all, so he told Cuban to **** off.

Second, with a salary cap and shared revenue likely being installed by the NHL in the next couple of years, a wealthy owner will not be as useful as it use to be.

Third, the Pittsburgh Penguins are one of the better run financial teams in the NHL. Sure their payroll is very low at 20 million, but they're only losing 3 million. (which Lemieux can afford.) Meanwhile teams like the Caps and Kings are losing substantial amounts of money this year. Hence the reason you see a number of teams fire-selling their players.

If the salary cap and shared revenue system does get installed into the NHL I could see the NHL having the big market teams buying out the contracts of the players, so that they will be under the cap.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have been through a whole hell of alot of hard times, from going bankrupt, to now almost losing the team. But I do believe that like the other times, the Penguins will get through this. If not, then I don't see the team being moved. I see the team being contracted to help cut down on the number of teams.

MountaineerDave 01-23-2004 08:10 PM

I'm with Loser. I'd rather, if the Pens leave Pittsburgh, see the team, with others in dire fiscal trouble, fold, than move. The NHL is in desperate need for reorganization, to the point that if a year were required to shut it all down and start from near-scratch, make it so.

Expansion and thinning of talent (and the neutral zone trap) have really made a sport that could be #2 in the US, imo, a distant, distant fourth with Freddy Adu and MLS threatening to push it further down the totem pole over the next few years.

I want the Pens to survive, but if they don't, they should take a number of teams with them for the good of the sport as a whole.

Dave

bama4256 01-29-2004 08:58 PM

Don't give him any wild ideas.

BaseballFan1 01-30-2004 06:26 PM

George Steinbrenner