Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Other Sports Blitz (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Do you believe in purposely injuring a player? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=4927)

Bran 09-20-2002 03:24 AM

Do you believe in purposely injuring a player?

In many sports, there are guys and coaches who believe it or not use this to their advantage. In hockey, a guy will come and take out the other teams best player or key player with a brutal check or take them out with their stick. In basketball it can be a brutal flagrant foul, in baseball to purposely hit the batter, In football to take them out also with brutal physical contact. Do you approve it and say its a part of the game, both teams should watch out for their own guys, or this should not be involved in sports at all?

Marc 09-25-2002 06:49 PM

Absolutely not. You should never purposely injure or hit a person with that intent. There's no place in sports for that, tradition or not. As long as players stay in the rules of their sport, I'm fine with it, but never should a player be purposely hitting someone with the intention to hurt them.

lmanchur. 09-27-2002 09:04 AM

I don't think guys like Scott Stevens, etc. go out to purposley hurt people. You look at Stevens' playoff hits vs. Lindros and who was it?... Francis or someone else from Caorlina during the 2001 playoffs.... all of those hits were purposely legal... and the guy Stevens injured from Carolina was one of his close off-ice friends.... Sometimes people just get into the heat of the moment too much (e.g.: Marty McSorley)

...hitting the batter is part of the game -- live with it, I say. There's usually a reason for it and I really do think Clemens during the 2000 WS hit Piazza by accident.

Also, I don't see any reason why an enforcer can't bodycheck and hit a guy like Bure or someone.... unless that someone is Gretzky ;) ... but you will pay for it if the team is built properlyl via a date with that other team's enforcer.

Bran 09-27-2002 04:55 PM

Of course they do! If they didn't want to hurt them they wouldn't take them out. Scott Stevens is a dirty player, meaning his intention is to take out the best player, Legal hit or not that's his intention. The only stupid thing is Domi's hit on Nidermyer (sp?) during the Leafs Vs. Devils series with 7 seconds left, and they were already down two goals, and he clubs him across the face with the stick, That should NOT happen.

I think Clemens ment to hit Piazza, Clemens has always had a temper, I forget but remember when he threw the bat at some guy, Clemens after he hit Piazza was ready himself to fight him back. Hitting the batter is a low thing to do, but it happens. Some pitchers really do aim for the batter, and I think its wrong. A 98mph fastball just might kill some guy one day, And for what? A game?!

Stupid.

rebelgoat 10-03-2002 01:20 AM

Absolutely not... sportsmanship is very important..

i dont' think purposely injuring a player has any place in sports.

Bran 10-03-2002 01:33 AM

1972 Summit Series

Bobby Clarke takes out Russian player...and Canada wins the series.

Would you then do it?

lmanchur. 10-03-2002 07:53 AM

Things like that... I don't think it was premediated and Bobby Clarke is in the locker room pregame and says, "i'm gonna kill one of those Russians."

...errrr... maybe for this series that might not have been too far from the truth :uhoh:

n/m :D

Hoosier 1 10-17-2002 10:43 PM

I don't think there's any room for purposely injuring a player in sports. As a couple of you already stated, there is just no room for it.

BUT, it's hard to find that black and white area in contact sports. NFL, NHL, and NBA for that matter. I can remember the days of Ronnie Lott, and Bill Bates. Not to mention Bucktus who was notorious for putting the fear of GOD in their opponent.

It DOES change the face of the game at hand. Take Bob Gibson for example. If you homered off him, the next guy up had it coming. I can remember a college baseball game (not sure who) where the pitcher retaliated, pretending he was gonna throw to the plate, and threw in the dugout at the oppositions manager.

Most of the times it's obvious when one goes out to get someone's neck. It just LOOKS a little different, and I don't think most people are fooled by it.

It's really all the same in the end. Nothing but embarrassment and fines for the instigator.