Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Basketball (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Who is College Basketball's Premier Conference? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=6414)

Marc 02-07-2003 09:43 PM

Who is College Basketball's Premier Conference?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/standings

What do you all think? Right now, I think it's between the Big 12 and SEC and people are mostly split about this. The top three teams from each conference are Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Texas and Kentucky, Florida, and Georgia, arguably. I think the SEC still wins by a hair, but becomes the clear winner if Alabama and the SEC West show up.

Cowboy22 02-08-2003 01:19 AM

This is a tough question...it really is.

But I have to believe the complete league of the SEC is better. They have to be....from top to bottom. Florida has beaten Kansas head-to-head, and no I don't believe that Kansas has gotten much better during the course of the year. Oklahoma State is on fire, but Kentucky can beat them. Texas and Oklahoma are both extremely good teams who can bag Georgia and Alabama, but I believe Mississippi State can wrap up Texas Tech.

Overall, I believe that the top of the SEC is better than the top of the Big 12, and the bottom of the SEC is better than the bottom of the Big 12. So, therefore, that should give the SEC the victory.

That and having the highest RPI in the nation....

#47 02-08-2003 09:08 AM

Its neither, its the ACC.

Alex 02-08-2003 11:25 AM

the Big East. ND, Pitt, UConn, Syracuse and Villanova will probably be dancing come march. i don't think any league can mactch the skill of the Big East period. even some of their bottom feeders can win a ton Georgetown has a winning record and is a bottom feeder

Baseballbud23 02-08-2003 12:23 PM

Either SEC or ACC. Very tough call.

#47 02-08-2003 09:31 PM

Actually this isnt even close. But the SEC and Big 12 arent the ones we should be debating about.

In the mid to late 90's over basically a 4 year stretch ending in '98, the SEC was without question, the top hoop conference in the nation. Kentucky won two titles, Arkansas won one and lost to UCLA in another title game, during this span the SEC was the top conference.

But since that Kentucky title in '98 things have been far different and a case can be made that the SEC has been the worse of the Big 6 conferences since then.

They have won ZERO NC's. The ACC has won 2, Big east and Big 10 have each won one. The SEC has gotten exactly one team in the last 4 years to the final four, Florida 3 seasons ago. ACC has put 5 teams, the Big 10 6 teams in the final 4. The SEC has advanced just 2 teams in the last 4 years to the Elite 8, that is the fewest of all the major conferences. Big 10 (8), ACC (5), Big 12 (5) Pac 10 (4) and the Big East (3). Of the 6 major conferences, the SEC has the worst won loss percentage in this span.

ACC..............739
Big 10...........657
Pac 10..........600
Big East........591
Big 12...........576
SEC...............563

The last 2 years the numbers look even worse for the SEC.

The reasons these tourney stats are significant is because these games are virtually all NON league games. Its easy to say within ones heart and personal opinion that so and so conference is tough because they cant go undefeated or they end up beating each other up. But the true measure of being the best conference is not playing within ones league, but playing outside competition and beating them.

The SEC has been pulling up the rear since its great run in the Mid '90's.

This argument should be between the ACC and the Big 10 as to who has the best conference. The SEC and Big 12 have been well down that list for awhile now.

Cowboy22 02-09-2003 01:01 AM

I don't think that the ACC should be in this discussion THIS YEAR. North Carolina turned from an elite program to an inexperienced subpar team in one year. Duke keeps choking. They can't seem to find that 'clutch' player...particularly at point guard. Chris Duhon....Jay Williams to be specific. Virginia is a good team, but they can't seem to win in the final stretch. Maryland makes for a good case however, but remember that Florida beat them. I'm happy with the step up of Drew Nicholas after the absence of Juan Dixon. Cudos to the Terps.

But those are the top teams in that league, and I don't believe that they are too good. In fact, I have reason to believe that Duke is overrated. That's right, I said it....

HuskyDeac 02-09-2003 01:35 AM

You seem to have missed Wake Forest in the ACC, who without their starting point guard have had some impressive wins and lead the conference. The ACC doesn't have dominant teams this year, but as evident in Duke's loses(all of which have come in the ACC), the teams towards the bottom can compete with the top, which I think is a better show of conference strength than having a team undefeated in conference play.

bama4256 02-09-2003 02:39 AM

SEC with Florida, Georgia, Auburn and Kentucky-Alabama makes me sick now lol

#47 02-09-2003 12:22 PM

Actually until after the NCAA tournament there is no REAL discussion on this year, that is when the truly meaningful non league games are played.

I could easily pick every team in the SEC and make them look not so great by citing a loss or two they have had this year like you did by citing Floridas win over Maryland. OK, Stanford beat Florida, Stanford was then beaten by ACC's UNC, great we just went in a circle.

The NCAA tournament is the gathering of the best teams from the best conferences, then the champs of the smaller leagues. You win those non league games and you have proven yourself when the pressure and competition is the best.

SEC has been pulling up the rear when it counts.

Marc 02-09-2003 12:50 PM

The question wasn't who has been the premier conference over the last five years, it is who is the premier conference RIGHT NOW. Therefore, all your stats from previous years mean diddly-squat. We're simply not talking about the NCAA tournament right now. You have a solid point, but it isn't addressing this question.

I think you have to consider depth, competitiveness, and the number of teams going to the tournament. The SEC has a good chance for seven -- more than any other conference. And how many other conferences have had two schools No. 1 this year? Only the SEC, and that shows its position above the other conferences.

The ACC is probably fourth or fifth conference this year because UNC is .500 and Duke is nothing special. They may only get 3 or 4 teams in the tourney.

HuskyDeac 02-09-2003 01:33 PM

I think the SEC is tough to call. I see 6 teams having a chance making the tournament based on records, but does a team like Tennessee really deserve it? They played poorly out of conference, the only good win being an away win at Georgia Tech which came down to the buzzer. They are 1-4 against ranked opponents.

Auburn, although they might lead the SEC west, has only one quality win, that being against Alabama(who by the way has lost 6 of their last 8 yet somehow keeps a spot in the Top 25). Auburn had a horrible out of conference schedule and still managed to lose against Western Kentucky and Western Michigan, not exactly great programs.

On the other hand Kentucky and Florida are two of the best teams in the nation at the moment. I think it's a good conference, but certainly not great.

As for the ACC being fourth or fifth, I think that's a bit harsh. I've always disliked Duke, but saying they're nothing is rough considering their 3 losses have all come in the ACC on the road. Wake Forest and Maryland are top 10 teams. NC State, Virginia, and Georgia Tech all have a chance of making the tournament. Just because the two teams people are used to being on top aren't having their typical seasons, doesn't mean the conference is down.

Overall I think it's tough to say what conference is the best...you could put up a decent argument for about 4 conferences. I think people should just enjoy the competition, it's better than watching the NBA anyway.

#47 02-09-2003 01:35 PM

So how has the SEC proved anything this year then? Because two different teams have been atop the polls? So in the polls of opinion, because that is what they are, the SEC has done better. Of course they did better last year and the year before, routinely having the most teams week in and week out in the top 25. Yet when it came time to play non conference meaningful games in the tourney they flopped. The polls are a joke and have been proven over and over again to be just that.

Florida has 2 non conference losses to UNranked teams., WVU and Stanford. They are generally considered the 1st or second best team in the SEC. That doesnt show to positive on the overrall power of the SEC if there top team cant handle those two teams easily. But you know what, you can go to each and every conference, with each and every team and show the same weaknesses. The SEC is no exception.

The depth and competitiveness you are talking about is all your opinion, and SEC guy, but based on ZERO fact. I see the SEC has a two team league. Kentucky and Florida. Come tourney time when they play the real non league games, none of the other teams are going anywhere. The depth you speak of in this league, is seen thru SEC eyes.

So what if they get 7 teams. They got 6 in last year and 6 the year before and never got a team to the Elite 8 in either year. The only conference not to achieve this. If the overall depth and competiveness was so much better in this league, why dont they produce when it counts? Every year the SEC gets more teams in the tourney then the ACC, because it has 12 teams in the league and the ACC only has 9. But for some reason the ACC teams advance and the SEC teams dont. Could it be becuase they are playing tougher INconference games every year? Could be. Might be why they are more tournament prepared.

There is no proof of SEC power yet this year, because the important non league games have yet to be played.

I think the Pac 10 is the most competitive conference. Lets see, Stanford beat SEC power Florida and Pac 10 power Arizona, but lost to the worst team in the Pac 10, Washington. So in my Pac 10 covered glasses, the Pac clearly is the best conference top to bottom. Yeah OK. As silly as it sounds, I could easily make this type of rediculous opinion for each and every conference in the country.

But when the meaningful games are played, the NCAA tourney and the non conference head to head matchups, on neutral courts, is when the cream rises to the top. But until the SEC does it there, the opinon polls mean nothing...............and its been quite awhile since they have.

I OWN THIS 02-10-2003 01:23 PM

Hey #47, now who was it that beat top ranked Arizona from the Pac 10? Oh yeah, that lowly SEC school called LSU...lol. Anyways I agree with #47, what has the SEC done to prove they are the best conference in the nation? I like SEC basketball and I live in the heart of SEC land, but #47 does have a point.

I mean the weak Conference USA has 2 top 15 teams, with Louisville beating 2 of the SEC teams, Memphis beating 2 of the SEC teams....those 2 together are undefeated against the so called powerhouse of the SEC. Is the SEC a better conference than Conference USA during the season...yes.....will they have more teams make the tourney than C USA....yes....but will they win more games than Conference USA in the tourney...well that is yet to be seen. Louisville and Marquette have good chances of going far in the tourney, and if all these other SEC schools flop in the first round like they did last season then C USA might have more wins in the tourney. And if C USA can be compared to the SEC in tourney play, then obviously the SEC is not dominate.

Basically, my point is no conference is premier or dominate this season, and we should not be validating points to why one is or why one isn't. There is tons more ball to be played, and the more we discuss this the more we will run ourselves in circles like #47 has said.

Joey

HibachiDG 02-11-2003 02:53 PM

Yea, I think right now CUSA has to be in the talk if you're going to put the SEC there. I think CUSA is better then the Big 12 this season, but the SEC is open to debate. This is especially the case if you're only looking at the Top 3 teams in the conference as Marc originally pointed out.

I think CUSA will wind up with a 1 seed, Louisville, a 2 seed Marquette and if Cincy can win one of the games against Marquette or Louisville, they should slide up to a 4 or 5 seed, especially after beating Ok St. Otherwise I see them around a 7 seed. Also Memphis should make the Tournament and win a game.

Granted, the bottom of CUSA is ****, but so is the Big 12. CUSA will have 4 teams, Big12 5, SEC with 3 or 4. Tennessee is sitting on the edge. Pac 10 should have what, 5 teams? So you can't just have this discussion this year without CUSA and the Pac 10.

Lots of ball left.