Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   Hockey (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Gretzky/Smith (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=12452)

Karen M 08-09-2005 01:29 AM

Gretzky/Smith

Wayne's ability to effectively coach, will be greatly enhanced by having Barry Smith at his side. I was wondering where Smith would end up and thought he might head to Sweden. Can't think of a better assistant for Wayne. Barry could be a very good mentor for Wayne in this new phase of his hockey career. Good for the both of them. Good for Phoenix.

FMHornet 08-10-2005 09:54 PM

Don't know if he will be the great coach, but it will be fun to watch

Marc 08-10-2005 10:13 PM

Agree. It's not often superstars become (good) coaches, but having the Great One involved has to be good for hockey.

Bran 08-11-2005 09:39 PM

This is not a good move by Gretzky. I think he can be a good coach because of his knowledge of the game, but he won't have any success in Phoenix. They'll never be a strong market.

Karen M 08-13-2005 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian
This is not a good move by Gretzky. I think he can be a good coach because of his knowledge of the game, but he won't have any success in Phoenix. They'll never be a strong market.
Ya think? Seems to me when i've seen games out of Phoenix the seats are filled. Wasn't it Phoenix that started that whole "white out" business for fans? One can only hope that having Wayne behind a bench will create some interest, strengthen ticket sales and viewing in all markets.

Glendale arena's seating capacity is about 17k, last years avg for single game ticket sales were about 14.5k.

Bran 08-13-2005 05:05 AM

It's always up and down in a city like Phoenix, especially with hockey. They'll show up when the team wins. Even if Gretzky is coaching, the fans still won't come out unless they win. It's not as if Greztky is playing again, he'll just be behind the bench. The Winnipeg Jets started the white out with the fans, the Coyotes simply followed in they're footsteps.

Pimpbot 08-26-2005 10:39 PM

The Coyotes had more players signed for the lock out season than any other and most of those contracts were for two years so they would be in a good position once the lockout ended. Whether Brett Hull still has it in him I don't know, but Phoenix looks to contend this year for sure.

To say Phoenix is up and down is correct to a point, but when you've had two franchises in the Cardinals and the Coyotes that have continually sucked, you'd struggle to get fans to buy tickets. Diamonbacks games have been healthy this year despite the teams disasterous season last year and the less than steller one this. Phoenix is the 5th most populated city in the US now, so if they put a winning team on the Ice, the fans will follow.

#99 08-29-2005 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Brian
I think what you're failing to realize, Brian, is that in this new NHL - one of collective bargaining and salary caps - there is no longer such a thing as a small or big market team. Pittsburgh and their signings is indisputable proof of that. The same can be said of Phoenix, who, as Pimpbot noted, have built themselves into a legitimate team. Hull and CuJo are up in years, but they're still effective. The 'Yotes also have a lot of young talent -- Kolonos, Mara -- that will only benefit from the veteran additions. As for Gretzky, I think putting him behind the bench is a great move.

Forget this coaching histories of guys like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird in this case. Neither was the icon to their sport that Gretzky is to hockey. The same can be said of anyone in any sport with the acception Babe Ruth - a single figure responsible for their sport's erruption in popularity. What Gretz doesn't know about the game, nobody does and here's the thing: every single player on that team will be out to impress him. Without a doubt, every single one of them. Because they know who he is. They grew up idolizing him, some are friends with him (probably only Hull, in this instance), but they're all going balls-to-the-wall for him this year. You can be sure of that.

I lived in Phoenix for 18 years. Like Pimpbot said, that city pays attention to a winner and the Coyotes should be playoff-bound this year.