Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ESPN's College Gameday to open at Virginia Tech (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=17369)

buckeyefan78 06-28-2007 06:23 PM

ESPN's College Gameday to open at Virginia Tech

ESPN's College GameDay opens with East Carolina at Va. Tech

BRISTOL, Conn. -- ESPN's College GameDay opens its football season in Blacksburg, Va., when East Carolina visits Virginia Tech on Sept. 1.

"Virginia Tech is a special place, and the community is one of the most respectful and passionate we have visited," ESPN vice president Norby Williamson said. "Our coverage will be considerate of the emotional day facing the students, faculty, and people of Blacksburg and the country."

On April 16, 23-year-old student Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people on campus before committing suicide in a classroom building.

"Every time College GameDay has come to Blacksburg it has been exciting," Virginia Tech football coach Frank Beamer said. "This time, I think there will be a greater togetherness than ever before."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

themush 06-28-2007 06:25 PM

Finally ESPN gets something right.

buckeyefan78 06-28-2007 06:30 PM

I don't have a real problem with it either. There are higher quality games that day (Tenn at Cal, K State at Auburn, G Tech at Notre Dame, Wake at B.C.) but nothing that screams "pick me!"

Alex 06-28-2007 09:27 PM

I don't mind it. The sentiment from ESPN is nice but now they're likely not to feature Virginia Tech two weeks in a row, making Happy Valley for ND-PSU a likely choice on 9//8.

digital7 06-28-2007 11:14 PM

from a game perspective, I rather watch Tenn and Cal.. but I understand the sentiment involved being the opening game of the season for VT.

buckeyefan78 06-29-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 249107)
I don't mind it. The sentiment from ESPN is nice but now they're likely not to feature Virginia Tech two weeks in a row, making Happy Valley for ND-PSU a likely choice on 9//8.

I thought of that as soon as I read the article.

They may pick Oregon at Michigan.

Did they do PSU-ND from South Bend last year? If so, it may be the Big House this time around.

Alex 06-29-2007 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 249137)
I thought of that as soon as I read the article.

They may pick Oregon at Michigan.

Did they do PSU-ND from South Bend last year? If so, it may be the Big House this time around.

No, I forget what the location was last year but it wasn't at South Bend since the game was on NBC.

buckeyefan78 06-30-2007 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 249163)
No, I forget what the location was last year but it wasn't at South Bend since the game was on NBC.

Oh yeah.

Michigan hosts PSU early. I bet that game gets the nod.

Alex 06-30-2007 10:06 PM

Maybe. But if PSU lost to ND and/or Michigan loses to Oregon, that match up becomes a lot less attractive. However, I could see them waiting for PSU-OSU even though they were there two years ago.

buckeyefan78 07-02-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex (Post 249321)
Maybe. But if PSU lost to ND and/or Michigan loses to Oregon, that match up becomes a lot less attractive. However, I could see them waiting for PSU-OSU even though they were there two years ago.

PSU ain't losin' to ND.

Michigan ain't losin' to Oregon.

I know...just thinkin' ahead Alex.

:D