Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   National Football League (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Battle of undefeateds: Colts or Saints? (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=22742)

Marc 11-28-2009 05:42 PM

Battle of undefeateds: Colts or Saints?

Do we have another 16-0 team(s) this year?

The last 16-0 team, the Pats, face the Saints this Monday night in a monster game. I think this could be the Saints' first loss, but it's in the Superdome, so I think the Saints will prevail in a high-scoring shootout.

Saints remaining schedule:

vs. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS Nov 30 7:30PM ESPN
@ WASHINGTON REDSKINS Dec 06 12:00PM FOX
@ ATLANTA FALCONS Dec 13 12:00PM FOX
vs. DALLAS COWBOYS Dec 19 7:20PM NFLN
vs. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS Dec 27 12:00PM FOX
@ CAROLINA PANTHERS Jan 03 12:00PM FOX

Then you have the Colts:

11/29 @ Houston Texans 1:00 PM CBS
12/6 TENNESSEE TITANS 1:00 PM CBS
12/13 DENVER BRONCOS 1:00 PM CBS
12/17 @ Jacksonville Jaguars 8:20 PM NFL Network
12/27 NEW YORK JETS 4:15 PM CBS
1/3 @ Buffalo Bills 1:00 PM CBS

The schedules are pretty even. The Falcons and Cowboys games are dangerous for the Saints, while the Texas, Titans, and Broncos are for the Colts. Does either team survive to 16-0?

Nate 11-29-2009 10:56 AM

I think if New Orleans can get through New England, they have a really good shot, with only games against Atlanta and Dallas possible problems. As for the Colts, they still have 3 division games, which we always tend to play close regardless of how the other team is doing, but today's game against Houston should be a good measure.

iuhoosiers23 11-29-2009 12:49 PM

If the Colts win today, and they beat the Broncos, then the Colts will go 16-0.

doublee 11-29-2009 11:02 PM

Don't count Carolina completely out against New Orleans though. They gave the Saints all they could handle the first go around in New Orleans until some inexplicable play calling in the fourth quarter and that game will be outdoors where dome teams tend to struggle in the winter months.

I doubt the Panthers win but it would not shock me if they do especially if the Saints have home field wrapped for the playoffs.

Marc 12-01-2009 07:46 PM

Wow, Saints dominated the Pats and clearly are the superior team. Frankly, I think the Pats are overrated nowadays. There's more to a team than Brady and Belichick, and most of the players on that defense are totally different compared to their championship teams. The media gets caught up in the Pats' "mystique," but the fact is it's a different team. Saints are 11-0 ... 16-0 maybe? Meanwhile, the Pats have defense liabilities and are in the middle of the AFC playoff pack.

doublee 12-01-2009 09:47 PM

This is a year of transition for the Pats defense as they work in younger talent. They cut a lot of veteran talent loose over the summer.

Anthony 12-02-2009 03:46 AM

Well I knew that the Patriots had essentially no hope of making a deep playoff run this year months before the season even started, because of their schedule: The AFC East's being forced to play both the AFC South and the NFC South almost certainly meant that the AFC East's first-place team would not get a first-round bye, and its second-place finisher wouldn't be a wild card.

But the whole situation with the Colts and the Saints hearkens back to my long-standing argument that the pre-determined site of the Super Bowl needs to be dumped! With these quarter-trillion-dollar deals the NFL makes with the TV networks, there is more than enough money to go around - and don't try to deny it: Money is the only reason the Super Bowl is held at these "glamour" sites.

And think of the "integrity of the game" issue that may very well come up this year, if the Colts have the top seed in the AFC already wrapped up before playing a team that is fighting for a playoff spot (such as Jacksonville). But if the Colts were still battling the Saints and/or Vikings for home field in the Super Bowl?

The Super Bowl should be hosted by the team with the better regular-season record (with the stipulation that in no case can a wild-card team host a division winner). It's only fair, and it keeps everybody honest.

doublee 12-02-2009 09:39 AM

Dude, the problem with the notion that the team with the best record should host the Super Bowl will never work because you need more than two weeks to put an event of that magnitude together. If they were simply showing up to play the game it might work, but, the Super Bowl has become such a huge event that it takes months to plan everything. The league as well as the potential host city would lose far too much money if only given two weeks lead time.

Anthony 12-03-2009 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doublee (Post 299379)
Dude, the problem with the notion that the team with the best record should host the Super Bowl will never work because you need more than two weeks to put an event of that magnitude together. If they were simply showing up to play the game it might work, but, the Super Bowl has become such a huge event that it takes months to plan everything. The league as well as the potential host city would lose far too much money if only given two weeks lead time.

But it's not an "event" - it's a football game! Just as the World Series is four or five or six or seven baseball games (and we all saw how a married woman was perfectly willing to commit both adultery and prostitution to obtain tickets for one or more of those games).

And you inadvertantly prove my point for me, by mentioning how the "host city would lose far too much money" - for this isn't about making money, it's about determining a sport's world champion!

Nate 12-05-2009 12:55 PM

Anthony, I understand where you are coming from, but against your best intentions, the Super Bowl is an event and not just a football game as it should be. That's the way the title game has been established over the years. And even then, the league is about money. The way they have established the Super Bowl, money would be lost by switching to the better team hosting. Simply put, a change like this wouldn't happen. That doesn't mean it shouldn't happen, just that it won't.

Anthony 12-06-2009 07:28 AM

Well I hold out no realistic hope for it ever happening either; but one thing's for certain: Nobody would ever have to worry about any "wardrobe malfunctions" if the Packers ever hosted the game! :lol:

But the 18-game regular-season schedule - now that's another matter entirely. :D

Marc 12-19-2009 01:00 PM

We still have two undefeated teams. But the question now becomes do they play for perfection, or back off and rest? The concern is if you rest guys at the end, does the team lose its rhythm and sharpness? I say play to win, but try to rest your guys at the end of games if they are wrapped up.

Anthony 12-20-2009 03:15 AM

Well, the bubble has burst in New Orleans; and I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the Saints blow the top seed in the NFC.

I'm glad I didn't bet any actual money on Carolina +7, because now the Vikings are really gonna be fired up.

Nate 12-20-2009 11:58 AM

With the Saints losing last night, I think Indy's chances at an undefeated season rests on if they decide it is worth it to play the starters or try and rest them for the playoffs. With the Colts' relatively easy remaining to games, it should come down to how long Manning plays. Personally, I'd like to see them give it a shot. Part of the Colts' playoff woes, with the exception of the Super Bowl year of course, seems to be Manning being rusty to start the playoffs since he usually has so much time off. The Colts already get a bye week by securing home-field, which should be plenty of rest for Manning. Rest or limit playing time for those battling injuries and then go out and play. I loved seeing them play hard on Thursday night. Hope it continues.

Nate 12-27-2009 08:24 PM

Jim Caldwell must be a Patriots fan as they remain the only team with an undefeated regular season besides those infamous Dolphins. Dumb, dumb move!