Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   College Football (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Rose Bowl (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=8817)

Aristides 11-28-2003 10:31 PM

Rose Bowl

Please BCS and the powers that be ......do something for us. Give us USC in the Rose Bowl so we can have a good old traditional game. PAC 10 vs Big 10. That's the way it should be. The only team you have in the PAC 10 worthy enough of challenging us is USC, yeah I know we lost to Oregon but everyone has a bad day.

If you can't get past all the hype put on USC, LSU is just as good IMO and went thru a tough conference, then give us LSU. They would match up good against UM and I think it would be a very exciting game. Don't let Texas, Georgia or any other team take their place in the Grand Daddy of them all.

If it isn't these 2 teams, give us the Bucks again. That way we get to even up the score these past 3 years.

Asking for a favor,

UM fan

Richard the Lionheart 11-29-2003 01:32 AM

Thats an interesting question right there. Is it possible for Michigan to play another Big Ten team in a BCS bowl because I always thought that it wasn't.

I really wouldn't ever want to see the two teams meet more than once in the same year, it breaks tradition and takes away from the rivalry, IMO. I would love to get them on a neutral field though. :)

Aristides 11-29-2003 02:29 AM

LOL both teams suck away from home. Would make things interesting.....

As for tradition........that was ruined the day the BCS was instated.

Richard the Lionheart 11-29-2003 02:51 AM

Well, we still have our game in November. That hasn't been ruined until the Big Ten makes their Championship Game.

Classof11buckI 11-30-2003 01:58 AM

There wont ever be a championship came, there are one to many big rivalrys in the big ten bud, so dont count on it.
http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/6807918
Heres the way things are shaping up to be.

FSUViking 11-30-2003 05:22 PM

I've heard a lot of talk lately about FSU heading to Pasadena. Maize and Blue vs Garnett and Gold?:)

atllonghorn 11-30-2003 06:49 PM

Rose Bowl tradition is what cost Big 10 teams like Penn State in 1994 and Michigan in 1997 a shot at undisputed national championships. I hate the BCS, but it's better than what preceded it...

The Rose Bowl would take USC if they don't end up #2 in the BCS standings. Assuming that USC does end up in the Sugar Bowl, I think the best matchup would be a Michigan-Ohio State rematch on neutral turf. I'd still pick Michigan, but it'd be by far the most interesting matchup. However, that will depend on the Orange Bowl not opting for a rematch of last year's championship game.

The most interesting matchups from my POV:

Sugar- OU-USC
Fiesta- Texas vs. LSU or Gerogia
Orange- Miami- Florida State rematch
Rose- Michigan Ohio State Rematch

Any other combination leaves one lame game.

I OWN THIS 12-01-2003 02:47 PM

Ricky touched on it, and I am almost postive that two teams from the same conference can not play each other in a BCS bowl game of any kind. You never even see two teams from the same conference play each other in any bowl game for that matter.

Speaking of rematches in the BCS, i.e. Miami vs. FSU as a possible situation this season, the BCS has not had a rematch in any of their championship series games yet. So, five years of the BCS and 20 BCS bowl games, there has not been a rematch of any teams that played during the regular season.

Now before the BCS, there were big time bowl games that had rematches with teams that played in regular season and two that come to mind are FSU vs. Florida in Sugar Bowl for National for the 1996 season, and FSU vs. Florida in Sugar Bowl for the 1994 season.

I would not count on any rematches or any conference foes playing each other in any BCS game. Miami vs. FSU does have more of a possibility, but it probably won't happen given the history of the BCS up to date.

Joey

atllonghorn 12-01-2003 09:37 PM

Good point, though it can't be an absolute rule that two teams from the same conference can't play each other. After all, what if two teams from the same conference end up 1-2 in the BCS rankings.

Aristides 12-01-2003 10:27 PM

Could happen in a conference like the Big 10 LH. Like last year, what if Iowa won every game and they didn't play OSU thru the season? 2 teams undefeated from a major conference. I don't think it's a rule to begin with because in my local paper every OSU fan is crying saying the deserve a chance to go to the Rose and play UM again and so are many editors. One, so he says, sent a letter to the Rose Bowl admin. asking for the game and other people have brought up the theory but they say they won't do it. Reasons being they like to see conference against conference and not seeing 2 teams play twice in one season. Another could be that if it was UM and OSU, how many fans are in California?

NickHammy 12-01-2003 11:20 PM

It wouldn't matter how many fans are in California. I'm not sure about the Michigan fans but Ohio State fans would travel to Pasedena. Remember last years Fiesta Bowl?

Aristides 12-02-2003 12:15 AM

LOL Trust me, all the fans make that trip if it's a national title game so don't be misleaded cause you saw alot of bucks fans at the Fiesta.

There was a ton of UM fans at the Rose in 97 but that dont mean ****.

If it was USC vs Michigan then they would sell alot more merchandise because simply, IT'S IN CALIFORNIA AND USC IS A CALIFORNIA SCHOOL. Besides the Rose has been about PAC 10 vs BIG 10 for soo many years that the 2 conferences hate each other. Would you go to a bowl game in Ohio that featured USC vs. UCLA?

bama4256 12-02-2003 12:32 PM

I'm not a fan of the BCS either.

Classof11buckI 12-03-2003 09:01 PM

I dont want to see Ohio State and Michigan, I'd rather Ohio State Vs. Texas, and Michigan Vs. Miami to show how overrated Texas and Miami are. The only reason I dont want to see ohio state and Miami is because in a bowl game I want ot see something different.

NickHammy 12-04-2003 12:00 AM

Ohio State vs Texas won't happen since they are both going to be at-large bids.