Sports Central Message Boards

Sports Central Message Boards (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/index.php)
-   The Lounge (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Christian at Christmas Time (https://www.sports-central.org/community/boards/showthread.php?t=15919)

IntheNet 12-20-2006 09:28 AM

Christian at Christmas Time

I enjoy Christmas, it is a wonderful holiday to me and the Christ Child... I celebrate it as a season for my family and friends.... past memories of the Baby Jesus and his Nativity.

Giving money to the poor to celebrate the birth of Our Lord. :thumbup:

Jesus Is The Reason For The Season!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Shop and patronize Wal-Mart exclusively; Best and Circuit City do not say MERRY CHRISTMAS.

PPKA 12-20-2006 09:36 AM

here here, don't forget to attend midnight mass.

I do allot with the salvation army. giving food bags and gifts to less fortunate families.

teach your children well

AmpleSound 12-20-2006 11:55 AM

Sorry, I hate to stir the pot, but I think Catholics are a downfall to society! I believe in Jesus, and nothing more as far as religions go. Christ is my savior, and I will never deny Him my Faith!

Heathen 12-20-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmpleSound (Post 228556)
Sorry, I hate to stir the pot, but I think Catholics are a downfall to society! I believe in Jesus, and nothing more as far as religions go. Christ is my savior, and I will never deny Him my Faith!

So you're right and the Catholics are wrong.... don't you believe in the same God???

wufpax 12-20-2006 12:42 PM

Ok ample...open mouth, insert foot! I just praised you on another board to come here and see you doing what not is supposed to be done...

Outta here....:(

IntheNet 12-20-2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I hate to stir the pot, but I think Catholics are a downfall to society!

How so AmpleSound? Elaborate please... explain....

Our Brigades are Armed to fight against the War on Christmas!
Our Cavalry blessed by God to fight against the War on Christmas!
Our Infantry carrying the Sword to fight against the War on Christmas!

HibachiDG 12-20-2006 03:45 PM

What exactly is the "War on Christmas" as you put it, InTheNet...the only time I ever hear it talked about is with stores saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas...which I can't imagine rises to a war on christmas.

Ellis 12-20-2006 03:52 PM

It is fair to keep Christmas off of public (government owned) property. Other than that, I see Christmas trees and stuff like that at most stores. Some stores just chose to say happy holidays, rather than Merry Christmas.

I have never really seen the "War On Christmas" either.

IntheNet 12-20-2006 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Graham (Post 228612)
What exactly is the "War on Christmas" as you put it...

Others have described it better than I could...

"War" on Christmas part of "secular progressive agenda" that includes "legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage," etc....
Fox News host Bill O'Reilly

Fox News host John Gibson has published a book defining the ongoing battle:
The War on Christmas: How the Liberal Plot to Ban the Sacred Christian Holiday Is Worse Than You Thought (Sentinel, October 2005).

There are various fronts in the war and the chief enemy is the ACLU.

CKFresh 12-20-2006 04:01 PM

Yeah, sorry that some of us want to include other holidays in the season. But Doug don't forget, these people want their religion and their holidays to be accepted by everyone. They get offended if you even mention other holidays. They forget that NO ONE is stopping them from celebrating any holiday they want in any way. But that's not good enough, they want all of US to celebrate the same way they do.

CKFresh 12-20-2006 04:05 PM

Inthenet, show me one instance when anyone has tried to BAN Christmas? Who is stopping you from celebrating in any way that you chose?

BigBuddhaPup 12-20-2006 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PPKA (Post 228519)
here here, don't forget to attend midnight mass.

I do allot with the salvation army. giving food bags and gifts to less fortunate families.

teach your children well

The last midnight mass I went to was with a girlfriend in college... everybody was "three sheets in the wind"... I don't remember much about it, just sitting and standing, and sitting and standing...

I agree it is good to give in this season, or any season for that matter... yep, do the food bags to the homeless shelter for x-mas and thanksgiving, give to my local animal shelter, pick three or four angels from the tree to give gifts to the kiddies, make a yearly donation to the hospice house...

:D

BigBuddhaPup 12-20-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 228517)
I enjoy Christmas, it is a wonderful holiday to me and the Christ Child... I celebrate it as a season for my family and friends.... past memories of the Baby Jesus and his Nativity.

Giving money to the poor to celebrate the birth of Our Lord. :thumbup:

Jesus Is The Reason For The Season!
Shop and patronize Wal-Mart exclusively; Best and Circuit City do not say MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Wal-Mart is wonderful...they buy over 90% of their goods from China... nothing better than some slave labor to say "Merry Christmas"...

BigBuddhaPup 12-20-2006 04:09 PM

Quote:

*LOL*... Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble....

The pot has been stirred...

I would suggest smoking it instead, much more enjoyable...;)

BigBuddhaPup 12-20-2006 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heathen (Post 228562)
So you're right and the Catholics are wrong.... don't you believe in the same God???

Heathen, the way I hear it...Catholics think "other Christians"(Protestants) are worshipping all wrong, and if they are lucky, they might see limbo when they die... Protestants think Catholics are pagans that worship a false idol(Pope, see Papists)... *L*, same book, very different viewpoints....

I think we are, as Carl Sagan put it, "Stuff that stars are made of"... we will return to that a few billions years down the road... I can dig it... *stirs then smokes that pot*..:rolleyes:

BigBuddhaPup 12-20-2006 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 228614)
Others have described it better than I could...

"War" on Christmas part of "secular progressive agenda" that includes "legalization of narcotics, euthanasia, abortion at will, gay marriage," etc....
Fox News host Bill O'Reilly

Fox News host John Gibson has published a book defining the ongoing battle:
The War on Christmas: How the Liberal Plot to Ban the Sacred Christian Holiday Is Worse Than You Thought (Sentinel, October 2005).

There are various fronts in the war and the chief enemy is the ACLU.

Wouldn't that be "The War on Christianity" instead?

I am for the legalization of soft drugs, I am for a humane death, I am for abortion until the 21st week, I am for gay marriage....I am against Bill Orally...I am against John Gibson...I am against Fox News...

I am also against stopping anyone from celebrating their religion, heritage, etc... just don't do it on tax funded property...

That ACLU also defends Christians btw...ironic, huh?:eek:

CKFresh 12-20-2006 04:21 PM

It is simply nuts to think there is a war on Christmas (X MAS!) hahaha. Tell me one time when ANYONE in this country tried to stop you from celebrating Christmas? It doesn't happen. You are just upset because NOT EVERYONE celebrates like you. :( I know you want to force your religion on others, but it just doesn't work like that in America. If you want to do that, go start of country that doesn't practice freedom of and from religion.

BigBuddhaPup 12-20-2006 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 228615)
Yeah, sorry that some of us want to include other holidays in the season. But Doug don't forget, these people want their religion and their holidays to be accepted by everyone. They get offended if you even mention other holidays. They forget that NO ONE is stopping them from celebrating any holiday they want in any way. But that's not good enough, they want all of US to celebrate the same way they do.

How dare us think differently!

Okay, other 2/3rd of the planet, do it this way, or no way at all...Why? because Fox News' Bill Orally said so....

That ought to do it...

IntheNet 12-20-2006 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBuddhaPup (Post 228623)
I am also against stopping anyone from celebrating their religion, heritage, etc... just don't do it on tax funded property...

So all those religious messages to God and our Judeo-Christian heritage that are carved into marble within and outside of the Supreme Court Building, the Jefferson Monument, the Lincoln Monument, the Washington Monument, and every hedgestone at Arlington Cemetery that carries a religious icon are a definite no no in your book?

Oh heavens....

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 228625)
It is simply nuts to think there is a war on Christmas...

Didn't you say the same thing about our War on Terrorism?

CKFresh 12-20-2006 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 228629)
So all those religious messages to God and our Judeo-Christian heritage that are carved into marble within and outside of the Supreme Court Building, the Jefferson Monument, the Lincoln Monument, the Washington Monument, and every hedgestone at Arlington Cemetery that carries a religious icon are a definite no no in your book?

Oh heavens....

I never said anything of the sort about the war on terrorism. Once again, please tell me one person, or one group that is trying to stop you from celebrating Christmas. I'd love to know who these crazy people are who really care about your Christmas celebration.

IntheNet 12-20-2006 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 228632)
Once again, please tell me one person, or one group that is trying to stop you from celebrating Christmas...

My daughter's song she practiced this fall was cancelled last week from the elementary school holiday choral concert (which use to be called the Christmas Concert at the school by the way). The name of the song: "Oh Holy Night." Know what she had to sing instead? "Frosty The Snowman"!

The War on Christmas is all around us...

I don't have time now to post links to all the battles but will tomorrow...

CKFresh 12-20-2006 05:02 PM

Once again, tax dollars funded that place. Who is stopping you from celebrating Christmas on your own time on your own dime. SOrry, I don't want to pay for your religious concerts.

BigBuddhaPup 12-20-2006 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 228629)

Oh heavens....

They are historical monuments... big difference from promoting religion via tax dollars...

As for Arlington, that is an individual service members choice when they die, it is a priviledge bestowed upon them because of their service...they could choose whatever symbol they want..

The term "War on Terrorism" is coming back to bite the neo-cons on the arse... the idea of terrorism isn't tangible enough to ever declare victory over, it is open ended idea... too bad they were as good with the doublespeak as they are now.... a better phrase would have been "Al Queda War"... maybe we would have even fought the right people too... but, No, Virginia, there isn't a Santa Claus...:(

BigBuddhaPup 12-20-2006 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IntheNet (Post 228635)
My daughter's song she practiced this fall was cancelled last week from the elementary school holiday choral concert (which use to be called the Christmas Concert at the school by the way). The name of the song: "Oh Holy Night." Know what she had to sing instead? "Frosty The Snowman"!

The War on Christmas is all around us...

I don't have time now to post links to all the battles but will tomorrow...

The elementary school was correct... public funded institutions like our schools shouldn't promote one religion over the other...singing a Christian song would do just that... Frosty the Snowman has no religious connotation, makes perfect sense.. if you want your child to do a religious concert for Christmas, plan it then...

chiefsfan27 12-20-2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 228640)
Once again, tax dollars funded that place. Who is stopping you from celebrating Christmas on your own time on your own dime. SOrry, I don't want to pay for your religious concerts.

What if not singing Christmas songs (like "Holy Night") offends Christians as much as singing them offends you? Should'nt both be sung? It does offend me that a Holiday originaly celebrated as Christ's birth can no longer have anything to do with Christ. I don't want to pay to see that behaivor because I view it (no christ in christmas) as wrong. So why have we completley eliminated a certain set of beliefs and not just done both?

And why do tax dollars matter? I pay taxes and I want to hear Christ's name mentioned with Christmas.

CKFresh 12-20-2006 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfan27 (Post 228704)
What if not singing Christmas songs (like "Holy Night") offends Christians as much as singing them offends you? Should'nt both be sung? It does offend me that a Holiday originaly celebrated as Christ's birth can no longer have anything to do with Christ. I don't want to pay to see that behaivor because I view it (no christ in christmas) as wrong. So why have we completley eliminated a certain set of beliefs and not just done both?

And why do tax dollars matter? I pay taxes and I want to hear Christ's name mentioned with Christmas.

Why can't you just enjoy YOUR holiday on your own time. Why does it have to be on public funded areas. What's wrong with church, or your own home. Public schools are secular. It wouldn't matter if it was a jewish song, a muslim song or a christian song. Public school is secular in nature. Why do you insist on making YOUR religion part of the public life. Why not just enjoy YOUR holiday in places where everyone is Christian i.e. CHURCH!!!!!

CKFresh 12-20-2006 06:59 PM

I apologize if I come off as angry, but it is crazy how you Chirstians insist on pushing this stuff down everyone's throat. Do it on your own time.

buckeyefan78 12-20-2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBuddhaPup (Post 228647)
Frosty the Snowman has no religious connotation

But he did flaunt the law and society. Remember when he crossed the street even after the cop told him to stop?

More like Frosty the Gangsta'

BigBuddhaPup 12-20-2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 228709)
I apologize if I come off as angry, but it is crazy how you Chirstians insist on pushing this stuff down everyone's throat. Do it on your own time.

Down, down, down, go, go, go, !!! Mine, mine, mine!!! ...

:bash:

BigBuddhaPup 12-20-2006 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 (Post 228711)
But he did flaunt the law and society. Remember when he crossed the street even after the cop told him to stop?

More like Frosty the Gangsta'

He got those kids to steal that stovetop hat too... Frosty was definite OG...

chiefsfan27 12-20-2006 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 228709)

There's the problem. You assume that we don't feel like your secular version (just presents, booze, and friends) is being shoved down our throats. A religion is a set of beliefs that one subscribes to. So your beliefs are also a religion. Why not honor all religions that are represented in a caertain area? Considering that all of them pay taxes to fund the public school, and the majority of them will attend some type of church on any give Sunday morning, why should only one set of beliefs be honored?

No need to apologize, you were simply stating your opinion. This argument won't sound nice, simply because of it's nature. Let's all just aim to keep it civil.

CKFresh 12-20-2006 07:08 PM

It is really strange for someone to insist on things such as religion in public places. Are not content with practicing religion in the places intended for religion? Why must EVERYONE be subjected to you religion? The songs such as "Frosty" are universal songs that mean nothing in particular and are simply fun for children. Perfect for a school situation. There is nothing there that should offend you. You say the holiday is originally about Christ, but only for Christians. You fail to recognize that WE ARE NOT ALL CHRISTIANS. Would you be happy if we just decided not to acknowledge the holiday at all, because if you and your fellow Christian cult continue to force it upon people that is what will happen. Be happy that most of this country is Chirstian and celebrates the same holiday as you. Quit acting like Christians are the ones being persecuted. Everything on TV and in stores is about Christmas. You have plenty of areas and time to celebrate YOUR holiday. I think if we continue to allow schools to be secular Christians will survive.

chiefsfan27 12-20-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 228716)
It is really strange for someone to insist on things such as religion in public places. Are not content with practicing religion in the places intended for religion? Why must EVERYONE be subjected to you religion? The songs such as "Frosty" are universal songs that mean nothing in particular and are simply fun for children. Perfect for a school situation. There is nothing there that should offend you. You say the holiday is originally about Christ, but only for Christians. You fail to recognize that WE ARE NOT ALL CHRISTIANS. Would you be happy if we just decided not to acknowledge the holiday at all, because if you and your fellow Christian cult continue to force it upon people that is what will happen. Be happy that most of this country is Chirstian and celebrates the same holiday as you. Quit acting like Christians are the ones being persecuted. Everything on TV and in stores is about Christmas. You have plenty of areas and time to celebrate YOUR holiday. I think if we continue to allow schools to be secular Christians will survive.

It was originally about Christ. Christmas. You may not celebrate it that way, but that does'nt change it's original intent.

CKFresh 12-20-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfan27 (Post 228714)
There's the problem. You assume that we don't feel like your secular version (just presents, booze, and friends) is being shoved down our throats. A religion is a set of beliefs that one subscribes to. So your beliefs are also a religion. Why not honor all religions that are represented in a caertain area? Considering that all of them pay taxes to fund the public school, and the majority of them will attend some type of church on any give Sunday morning, why should only one set of beliefs be honored?

No need to apologize, you were simply stating your opinion. This argument won't sound nice, simply because of it's nature. Let's all just aim to keep it civil.

No this is where you are wrong. Secular beliefs in schools mean NO BELIEFS allowed. And no one is shoving anything down Christians throats. I am not insisting we put on a holiday play about drinking and sing Irish drinking songs, am I? I am talking about something that everyone can agree on, aka Frosty. What is offensive about that. It doesn't mention any belief system at all, it only mentions the season and things that are fun for children. I didn't know that this was a belief system. But according to you it is.

Please tell me, why can't we just practice our own beliefs in the areas they belong, at home or in church.

I'll make a deal with you, when Churches start paying taxes, you can sing all the Christmas songs you want in schools, in court, or at the public library. Until then, keep your religion at home, and we will maintain the separation of church and state.

chiefsfan27 12-20-2006 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 228721)
No this is where you are wrong. Secular beliefs in schools mean NO BELIEFS allowed. And no one is shoving anything down Christians throats. I am not insisting we put on a holiday play about drinking and sing Irish drinking songs, am I? I am talking about something that everyone can agree on, aka Frosty. What is offensive about that. It doesn't mention any belief system at all, it only mentions the season and things that are fun for children. I didn't know that this was a belief system. But according to you it is.

Please tell me, why can't we just practice our own beliefs in the areas they belong, at home or in church.

I'll make a deal with you, when Churches start paying taxes, you can sing all the Christmas songs you want in schools, in court, or at the public library. Until then, keep your religion at home, and we will maintain the separation of church and state.

No. That's where you're wrong. Secular beliefs means no beliefs? You believe that Christ has no place in this "Holiday Season". You said it yourself, secular beliefs. That means that beliefs are coming out through the school. I'm saying why teach only one belief?

The people in them pay taxes, so why should it matter?

CKFresh 12-20-2006 07:25 PM

I never said Christ has no business in th Holiday season, when did I say that? I said IN SCHOOLS. You can do everything in the world involving christ, on your time and your dime. Not the tax payer's dime and not my time. Please answer my fundamental question, why do you have to do this stuff in places where there are people that don't want to see it? You have plenty of outlets for religious thoughts and practices, why must it be in the one place where THIS SOCIETY HAS DECIDED that it is inappropriate? Please tell me... I think I know why, because Christians won't be happy until everyone else is Christian, or at least until everyone has to see and take part in Christian ceremonies. It is absolutely obvious.

HibachiDG 12-20-2006 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefsfan27 (Post 228719)
It was originally about Christ. Christmas. You may not celebrate it that way, but that does'nt change it's original intent.

I find this argument hilarious whenever I hear it. Do you really think that society would not have invented a holiday such as this without Christ? I have zero problem with people celebrating Christmas because of Christ, but just because Christ was out the foundation of Christmas does not mean that all these years later someone has to celebrate Christmas and recognize Christ at the same time.

The problem to me comes when you begin to dictate what something should be about to other people. Christ, Gods, religion is/can/has been a great thing to a great many people. It has been something recognized, influenced, and celebrated by a great many people. The problem is that just because the majority of the population to a public school celebrates Christmas, does not mean that Christ and certain religious ideals should be brought to everyone in a public school.

Towards InTheNet's problem, I don't see what the school did as a WAR or anything of that sort. Your kid has many other options for singing religious Christmas songs. Why should a public school be that forum?

CKFresh 12-20-2006 07:27 PM

No. That's where you're wrong. Secular beliefs means no beliefs? You believe that Christ has no place in this "Holiday Season". You said it yourself, secular beliefs. That means that beliefs are coming out through the school. I'm saying why teach only one belief?

Once again, I don't want any of my belifs taught in schools either. I want them to teach children things that don't involve RELIGION! Why can't you understand that. Once again, non of my beliefs are represneted by Frosty the snowman or 2+2 = 4. Those are things EVERYONE BELIEVES. What is wrong with teaching things that EVERYONE BELIEVES. What am I suggesting we do in schools that is something that you can't believe?

chiefsfan27 12-20-2006 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 228727)
I never said Christ has no business in th Holiday season, when did I say that? I said IN SCHOOLS. You can do everything in the world involving christ, on your time and your dime. Not the tax payer's dime and not my time. Please answer my fundamental question, why do you have to do this stuff in places where there are people that don't want to see it? You have plenty of outlets for religious thoughts and practices, why must it be in the one place where THIS SOCIETY HAS DECIDED that it is inappropriate? Please tell me... I think I know why, because Christians won't be happy until everyone else is Christian, or at least until everyone has to see and take part in Christian ceremonies. It is absolutely obvious.

You don't want to see Christ, and I don't want to see evlution (a faith based account of creation). How is that different?

chiefsfan27 12-20-2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKFresh (Post 228733)

Once again, I don't want any of my belifs taught in schools either. I want them to teach children things that don't involve RELIGION! Why can't you understand that. Once again, non of my beliefs are represneted by Frosty the snowman or 2+2 = 4. Those are things EVERYONE BELIEVES. What is wrong with teaching things that EVERYONE BELIEVES. What am I suggesting we do in schools that is something that you can't believe?

Not everyone believes evolution. So you must be against it.