Thread: New Coaches
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #21
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Well a lot of teams did, since Cottrell got quite a few serious interviews; but he always lost out, and every time to a white candidate.
I don't know how to state this any more clearly. I agree with you about the hiring of minority coaches, and I think some truly shameful hirings have occurred, but I just don't feel that Cottrell is one of the people who has been unjustly overlooked.

Quote:
You act like it's either/or and there's no in-between. What about the Ravens? In the six full seasons since winning the Super Bowl in 2000, Baltimore has made three playoff appearances, has had four winning seasons, and zero last-place finishes in the AFC North (although that latter might change this year).
My brother-in-law is a Ravens fan, and I think he'd be the first to tell you that while Baltimore has made the playoffs a couple of times, they haven't been a genuine contender since that Super Bowl win, never advancing past the divisional round of the playoffs, and I will be the first to tell you that the 2000 Ravens were lucky to get their title and are far and away the worst Super Bowl winner in history.

Quote:
How can one "mature" so dramatically between the ages of 31 and 34? If it was 18 vs. 21 we were talking about here, you might have a case.
Probably by acting like a 12-year-old when you're 31.

Quote:
But it isn't Kevin Curtis that Berrian would be replacing. It's Reggie Brown - and comparing Bernard Berrian with Reggie Brown is like comparing an F-15 fighter jet to the contraption the Red Baron flew during World War I.
Is that right? I certainly agree that Berrian -- whom I labeled a #2 receiver -- would represent an upgrade over Brown, whom I called a #3. If Berrian would be replacing McNabb, however, I'd have to disagree. That's a sucker's trade.

Quote:
And there are rumors that the Bills are going to do the same thing this spring with Lee Evans that they did last spring with Willis McGahee - in which case the Eagles could have Evans for the same second-round pick Buffalo accepted from Baltimore for McGahee. And while you may not agree with my comparative observation about Bernard Berrian vs. Reggie Brown, thinking that Lee Evans wouldn't be a clear upgrade over Reggie Brown isn't an opinion - it's a delusion.
I like Evans quite a bit. He's better than any receiver -- except maybe Brian Westbrook -- on Philadelphia's roster.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote