View Single Post
Old 08-07-2004, 06:59 AM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyefan78
5. Like I said on the secondary, there is promise, but yeah, question marks. Zemaitis is solid, but the other corner position is going to be filled by someone who isn't ready, proably Phillips from last I heard, but you would know more then me on it Alex. Considering you could run all day on PSU last year, it's hard to gage the growth of the secondary.

I didn't even mention the special teams, which were horrible last year for the Lions. I gave them 6-5 and will always stick with my prediction, but I think I might have given them too much credit. Some teams have a glaring weakness or a few question marks, but it seems like PSU doensn't have ANYTHING you can count on fully this year. Still, almost all their games last year were close, and I expect them to play that way this year as well.
It's been pretty much set in stone that Phillips will be opposite Zemaitis when Frye and the Zips come to the line of scrimmage. Donnie Johnson has supposedly looked good at cornerback thus far but I haven't seen any reports for awhile. That fact scares into thinking he's going to just be average.

You can count on the fact that Joe will be back next season regardless of what happens in 2004. From what we've both said, there's a lot of potential for the team. Of this year's projected starters, 17 will return next season. Many of targeted 2005 as "the year" that everything turns around. We'll have a soft OOC schedule (Cincinnati, South Florida and Central Michigan all at home) and the only challenging game I see on the 2005 schedule so far is @ Michigan. If nothing else, we'll have a season like 2002 where the talent exceeds the bad coaching. Something a lot of fans and even Penn State fans fail to recognize is that there were three new starters on the D-Line last year. All of the players getting replaced either went in the 1st (Kennedy and Haynes) or 2nd round (Adams).

I'm biased to some extent but I believe this team can go 7-4 and get into a decent bowl game. The only games I go into expecting to lose are Ohio State and Iowa. As I said in my original post, the Boston College game will show what type of season Penn State will have.