View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #96
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
What disturbs me is that you teach history and can't understand the value in voting for a major party.
Ah, a good old fashion wordsmith response. That's what I come to expect from young folks who believe philosophical rhetoric is the key to outcomes on the ground. Both parties serve their interests. In the course of serving their interests, certain segments of the American people have been served well or treated better.

Quote:
Things improved for "those folks" when Kennedy and Johnson were in power... You know, when poverty was cut in half.
You tout gains and crucify losses under such a narrow view of which party held the White House it amazes me. No other institution, persons (government or otherwise) or movement brought about the poverty reduction in the 1960s? These guys are representatives of the people and people themselves...let's not go the Obama-is-Jesus route here.

Quote:
No, I DO see how others view improvement in their world. You are the one who lacks understanding of opposing views.

I agree with you on most things, but find your methods unrealistic. That doesn't mean I don't understand your "cause."
What opposing view....yours? Your set for life. I have little concern for folks of your ilk. I'm talking about the people the government routinely compromises in their bid for power.

Quote:
That's not a solution, that's an idea. We all want that. How do you suggest we make it happen?
How the hell are you this jaded and defeated at your age? Solutions are for the politicians. Processes are for the people. Everytime you ignore the process and "hope" for a solution you are going against the process. You don't hold anyone accountable everytime you vote so they have no reason to change the way they work.

Quote:
If you really believe that EVERY politician is a self-serving person, not interested in the well being of Americans then you are just as ethnocentric as you accuse others of being.
It isn't a matter of ethnocentrism. I have no clue where you got that from. It's a matter of assuming everyone is out for themselves. I understand this concept may be difficult for you to understand but when you choose to empower the empty, hollow rhetoric I can see how one can be so inclined to do so.

Quote:
Isn't it possible that Barack Obama REALLY wants to help people?

I can give you several reasons to believe he is, can you give me reasons to believe he is not?
Why are we bringin' this scumbag's name up? I don't care what he WANTS to do. I care what he's DONE. That's how you judge a person.

Quote:
No, that doesn't show they care more, but their policies due - minimum wage, union support, equal pay for equal work, welfare-to-work, guaranteed benefits, over-time compensation, health care, etc...

There are plenty of reasons that the lives of the working poor improve under Democrats and get worse under republcans.
If you want to wow me with numbers and the such there really is no need to CK. Again, this conversation is about the actual people on the ground...not political grandstanding. Everytime you write something like this...

Quote:
Even using your analogy, one could argue, "the bloods kill more than the crips," or "the crips only sell weed and the bloods sell heroin."

Therefore, one might be "less bad," than the other.
You grandstand and/or show you have no clue about the reality of the political pawns you like to showboat.

If you can't understand this...there is nothing anyone is going to be able to do for you to realize it...IMO. You believe in "acceptable losses" when solutions are readily available. You did so in the levee discussion and in this poverty debate. You're so busy in trying to prove which side does the least harm you can't see that either side...at any time...could SIGNIFICANTLY alleviate the problems of this nation if they actually governed properly.

Read the post by Tarkus again. I don't know what else to do.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote