View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #48
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
I was alluding to this in my first post actually To me, everything boils down to self-interest. I don't mean that's my personal philosophy, I mean that every choice a person makes is based on self-interest, no matter how selfless it may seem. Because of that, it's my opinion that happiness is the the goal everyone has when you break things down to the basest idea. So, Beethoven did what he did because it made him happy (or at least, less unhappy than not doing it). Your linguistics professor is the same way. Perhaps happy isn't the best word; pleasure, contentment, enjoyment, it's all about feeling good. The difference is in what each person gains that good feeling from. So, when you ask why someone should bother waking up, why live if you don't offer something to the world, I would agree with Hibachi. If he enjoys his life, that is answer enough.

Which isn't to say I'm promoting fishing in any way! Fishing, otherwise known as sitting on a boat drinking beer and doing nothing :lol:
No... here's where you're wrong. You do it because there's no justification for not doing it-- because there's no reason to live if you don't; you don't do it for happiness. Wittgenstein was not a happy person-- he constantly considered suicide. Beethoven, as far as I know, was similar to that also.

Again, I don't see how anyone can live with themselves if they don't dedicate everything they have to a particular field or interest. I you don't try, you're just like 99.999% of the rest of the world... there's no reason to even wake up.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote