View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #49
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis
And as for me, I feel like I live by this. I spend all of my freetime (and I have a lot ) working on Mensa puzzles; reading Wittgenstein, analytical philosophy, and linguistics; and listening to Satie and Beethoven. The interests change a bit over time-- but I feel that I'm always 100% absorbed in them. And when I see people who aren't like this, it bothers me. I don't see any reason for them to wake up in the morning. I'm not saying I'm special, but at least I try-- at least I see things differently than the banal 99.99% of the rest of the world who spend their time worried trivial problems in their personal lives and material things.
But what do you have to offer the world, besides absorbing yourself into the work of others? How has reading the books you have and listening to the music you do made you more valuable to the world? What have you contributed to society that has made a difference?

I still don't see what separates you from the blue-collared man who passes his freetime doing the crossword puzzle out of the local newspaper, watching reruns of All in the Family, listening to the Allman Brothers on his car radio and who makes an honest effort to attend all of his kids' little league games, other than you don't care where you bought your denim jeans from and who the Bachelor chose to propose to on national television (and I am willing to bet that the man at the local meat packing plant could care even less about those things than you do).
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote