View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 05:11 PM   #54
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrovant View Post
Like I said, happiness may not be a good word But even someone who is suicidal will make choices based on what they think is going to be best for them. Suicide itself is a choice based on self interest, a choice made because a person doesn't feel they can get enough happiness from life to make it worth living. And until someone DOES kill themselves, then they feel they are getting enough from life to make it worth living. It's a matter of degree. Maybe Beethoven was miserable, but he made his choices based on what he thought would bring him the least misery.

I'm someone who's seriously considered suicide, and I still believe that every choice a person makes is based on self-interest at it's core. Being unhappy doesn't negate that, it simply shows either that sometimes you don't have good choices, or that you often will make the wrong ones.

What's the alternative, then? Under this, being selfless would constitute trying to be happy, cutting youself would constitute you being happy, etc.

What could you do that wouldn't be in your self-interest? Burn your house down for no reason? I you have a reason to do anything, then, as you are suggesting, doesn't it have to be in self-interest?
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote