View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 09:23 PM   #99
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
Really?

This is the part of the argument I don't really buy. Because...
You'd argue that it doesn't take desperate times to get the average American off his ass & put the effort into putting the parties feet to the fire? Or that the average American who gives up cuz they think they can't change anything & just goes along with the masses is doing the right thing? Or that we aren't in desperate shape on numerous fronts? Or...well...what?

You've got me confused...

Quote:
You can take all of those examples and look at the landscape behind them and see that they are drastically different to the current landscape in the United States.

Ya really got me here, Doug. Surely you don't mean that going thru history looking for the exact set of circumstances, which of course you won't find, is the only answer to facilitate change are you?

Otherwise, my original point stands in answer to the comment of 'what good would it do?' Paraphrasing there, of course.

Quote:
People mention change and talk it up, but I think for the most part people understand that it's change within a set of conditions that aren't going to change a whole lot...and that people don't necessarily want to change a whole lot.
You actually believe that the average American is pleased & content with the direction this country is taking? Please explain how?

Quote:
With regards to voting specifically, then it's a symptom of this country from early on. As CK mentioned 3rd party success in this country is very limited, especially in the Presidential election.
So because of no immediate change, you just allow the system to be what it is? Staggering...

Quote:
For myself personally, I believe in trying to make the Democratic party better rather than leaving it behind. I don't believe what CK is throwing out about the lesser of two evils and I believe that a strong democratic party can lead to a strong nation more so than anything else that I've seen presented in terms of how we should shape the country.
How exactly does punching a certain box at election time make a party stronger? How does following the status quo with no participation beyond picking a group make either party bend to the people's will & react to their dissatisfaction?

If you truly believe that a "strong Democratic Party" is the right way, what's going to make them strong? Just by voting them in?

Hate to tell you but your voice isn't being heard beyond your vote, Doug.

Last edited by Tarkus; 09-02-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote