View Single Post
Old 01-17-2005, 10:34 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

In my first response Tarkus, I went the route of immaturity, while Dave blasted the author on stupidity. Either way, I intended to enlighten on other merits by MLK to raise the awareness of the day.

Most people view ALL holidays off as just that: a day off. Going into a discussion on Veterans Day or Memorial Day has it's controversy too. I know little, if any, organized awareness on the lives of servicemen once their duty is over that competes with all the media does to portray heroes of war. In short, we as Americans probably do fall short in recognizing the sacrifices of fallen soldiers, however the plight and vet benefits to those still living is MUCH LESS SO talked about, it's pathetic.

Sad too, in my opinion, the best way to honor the dead would to be take care of their friends who were next to them in the foxhole. So while the media shows pictures of flowers on graves this Memorial Day, someone should spend the day in a vets hospital, where care is subpar on a sickening level.