View Single Post
Old 06-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #14
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Brad, the more I got to thinking about corners in the league as compared to Rhonde Barber I changed my mind on him even being in the top 4 to 5 corners in the league.

I think Barber is one of the best tacklers at corner no doubts bout that, and he plays some of the best zone defense a corner can play in the league as well, but he is not a lock down one on one corner from where I see it. If he is, then please make your points that he is.

I think Champ Bailey, Sam Madison, Chris McCalister, Troy Vincent, Charles Woodson(before his injury), and maybe even Patrick Surtain are all better than Rhonde Barber in strictly one on one corner play.

I know Rhonde has made some great plays in the last 2 years, for he had 10 interceptions 2 seasons ago, but only 1 last season. He also made some great plays in the playoffs last year as well.

Teams always attack Rhonde Barber though, and that can't be said for some of the other corners in the league. I think Rhonde does not have the speed to play one on one, and in the Bucs scheme he really does not have to because they play Cover 2 zone d virtually the entire game.

I guess it is how you interpret a corner....do you interpret him by one on one cover ability, or making plays and playing within his team's defensive scheme, whether that be zone or whatever.

Joey